1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Not the greatest ink cartridge/refill or just a bad sample?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by aicolainen, Oct 30, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I was quite slow to jump on the writing instrument bandwagon, but after dipping my toe in with an inexpensive RITR pen, I'm now slowly finding myself in deeper and deeper waters.

About a week ago I received what I consider the optimal pen available, based on my preferences, the Urban survival gear TiScribe mini. The problem I'm having is that it writes really bad, or should I say intermittently.
    When I first took it out of the package I had to engage it on paper for an eternity before it finally put some ink spots on that paper. But even now that the ink can flow continuously for a while, it will intermittently fail to deliver ink on paper.
    I've used cheapish pens my whole life and been pretty satisfied with the result. I guess this Schmidt Easyflow 9000M might be delivering questionably nicer lines, but this is just too unreliable to bother using it.

To me it feels like there might be a QC issue like an uneven or damaged surface on the ball. Maybe someone more experienced could help me determine if this is the name of the game when you move into more precise cartridges, or if did indeed get a bad sample?

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Wow! Almost all the handwriting I do is with a Schmidt Easyflow 9000 refill (in a Tactile Turn Slider) and I've never had this issue. Yesterday I took about six pages of dense handwritten notes with it and the only problem was my comically bad handwriting.

3. aicolainen

@chaosmagnet Thanks for sharing your impressions of the easyflow 9000. I probably got a bad sample then.
    I recently got a tactile turn bolt action short as well. That pen writes like a charm, with absolutely no break-in time, but I haven't checked what refill it was delivered with. I'll check when I get home.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

My guess is (in order):
    1. You got a bad refill. I've used a lot of these and can confirm they write great.
    2. Something about the way you write just doesn't work with that refill. It's possible.

If it turns out you're not compatible with that refill, there are plenty of gel and standard ballpoint options. Good luck on your quest.

chaosmagnet and aicolainen like this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

P.S. I own a Tactile Turn (Slider) bolt action (one of my top 5 favorites) and they come with the EasyFlow 9000. So if that pen writes well with the stock refill, it definitely sounds like you got a bad one in your Ti-Scribe (or there's something in the ergonomics of the pen that's causing an issue). FWIW, even though I like the EasyFlow refill, I use a Schmidt capless rollerball (P8126) in my Slider. I don't think the revised versions permit the rollerball refill, but they still come with the EasyFlow as stock refill.

chaosmagnet and aicolainen like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've used the Schmidt EasyFlow refills in many pens, on many papers. Never an issue. I find that the medium has much less 'blobbiness' than a Fisher of the same size; and I like both better than actual Parker refills.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

You can write to the schmidt people..they may ask for you to send it back ... they may send you a replacment. For mine the tip was too close to the tip of the pen when retracted (it was an early shaker pen from tactile turn) and lint was getting into the refill rendering it to skip and not flow.

aicolainen likes this.
  8. aicolainen

It might be a combination. I swapped refills between the TiScribe and the TTurn today, and while I need more time to conclude, it seems like the TiScribe got better and the Turn slightly less good. However, it didn't feel as if the TiScribe got as good as the Turn and or the Turn got as bad as the TiScribe.