1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Not the greatest ink cartridge/refill or just a bad sample?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by aicolainen, Oct 30, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I was quite slow to jump on the writing instrument bandwagon, but after dipping my toe in with an inexpensive RITR pen, I'm now slowly finding myself in deeper and deeper waters.

About a week ago I received what I consider the optimal pen available, based on my preferences, the Urban survival gear TiScribe mini. The problem I'm having is that it writes really bad, or should I say intermittently.
    When I first took it out of the package I had to engage it on paper for an eternity before it finally put some ink spots on that paper. But even now that the ink can flow continuously for a while, it will intermittently fail to deliver ink on paper.
    I've used cheapish pens my whole life and been pretty satisfied with the result. I guess this Schmidt Easyflow 9000M might be delivering questionably nicer lines, but this is just too unreliable to bother using it.

To me it feels like there might be a QC issue like an uneven or damaged surface on the ball. Maybe someone more experienced could help me determine if this is the name of the game when you move into more precise cartridges, or if did indeed get a bad sample?

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Wow! Almost all the handwriting I do is with a Schmidt Easyflow 9000 refill (in a Tactile Turn Slider) and I've never had this issue. Yesterday I took about six pages of dense handwritten notes with it and the only problem was my comically bad handwriting.

echo victor and aicolainen like this.
  3. aicolainen

@chaosmagnet Thanks for sharing your impressions of the easyflow 9000. I probably got a bad sample then.
    I recently got a tactile turn bolt action short as well. That pen writes like a charm, with absolutely no break-in time, but I haven't checked what refill it was delivered with. I'll check when I get home.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

My guess is (in order):
    1. You got a bad refill. I've used a lot of these and can confirm they write great.
    2. Something about the way you write just doesn't work with that refill. It's possible.

If it turns out you're not compatible with that refill, there are plenty of gel and standard ballpoint options. Good luck on your quest.

chaosmagnet and aicolainen like this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

P.S. I own a Tactile Turn (Slider) bolt action (one of my top 5 favorites) and they come with the EasyFlow 9000. So if that pen writes well with the stock refill, it definitely sounds like you got a bad one in your Ti-Scribe (or there's something in the ergonomics of the pen that's causing an issue). FWIW, even though I like the EasyFlow refill, I use a Schmidt capless rollerball (P8126) in my Slider. I don't think the revised versions permit the rollerball refill, but they still come with the EasyFlow as stock refill.

chaosmagnet and aicolainen like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've used the Schmidt EasyFlow refills in many pens, on many papers. Never an issue. I find that the medium has much less 'blobbiness' than a Fisher of the same size; and I like both better than actual Parker refills.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

You can write to the schmidt people..they may ask for you to send it back ... they may send you a replacment. For mine the tip was too close to the tip of the pen when retracted (it was an early shaker pen from tactile turn) and lint was getting into the refill rendering it to skip and not flow.

aicolainen likes this.
  8. aicolainen

It might be a combination. I swapped refills between the TiScribe and the TTurn today, and while I need more time to conclude, it seems like the TiScribe got better and the Turn slightly less good. However, it didn't feel as if the TiScribe got as good as the Turn and or the Turn got as bad as the TiScribe.

9. aicolainen

Well, if you guys can just ignore this entire thread and get on with you're lives while I stand here in shame, it will be all for the better.

This whole problem is all caused by the user being so stupidly noob, it's hilarious.

It was a comment in another thread, I think it was @Moshe ben David in the Pokka pen thread, that mentioned how the space pen refills were so practical as they would write in most circumstances, even on the Rite in the rain coated paper. Well there you have it. I'm using RITR notebooks.
    I have no clue how I was unable to connect the dots, even though they were right in front of me...

Well, off to buy new notebooks. Or refills?. Naah, both :)

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I use the Schmidt EasyFlow refills on RITR paper without issue...so there's that. RITR doesn't work as well with gel or rollerball, I'll add.

11. Ja5544

Ja5544 Empty Pockets

I tried the easyflows and was not able to get good results. I experienced terrible skips. After watching my wife use them I realized they were not working due to the way I write. The main difference between my wife and I was that I hold the pen more vertically than her by a large amount. If I forced myself to change the way I wrote they would work fine, but obviously that wouldn’t work long term.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  12. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Pilot G2 refill in a Tactile Turn Bolt is awesome!

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

There's a good reason the G-2 pens & refills are so universal. They're cheap and write really well. I went through a cr*p ton of 'em before I retired. The downside to the G-2 refills is they leave a BIG mess if you spill anything on them, so I never used them for anything semi-permanent or permanent...only for daily notes. As to the best refill for an original Tactile Turn bolt, my vote goes to the Schmidt capless rollerball...either in .6mm or .7mm depending on your preference.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice. I have never used the capless rollerball refill. Is there a specific part number that I should look for?

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

If memory serves, just visit the Schmidt website. It ought to have all the info you'll need; also some pics.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Tesla and Bad Company like this.
  16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I see @Moshe ben David beat me to the response. I should add that the capless rollerball is only really suitable for the "original" Tactile Turn short version. If you have the long version, it would work with a spacer, probably. It will not work with the "new" bolt models (as confirmed by Will to me by e-mail). Glad I got mine before the model change.

Bad Company likes this.