1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

*Not* having all your eggs in one basket.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, May 14, 2017.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

This is going to be preaching to the choir for many if not most here, but this morning I experienced a great example of why splitting things up is a good idea.

I make my grocery store runs early on Sunday morning because A) this seems to be the de facto designated time for pathetic, older, single males to shop and B) there are fewer people there hyperventilatiing about how they must complete their grocery gathering in 18.5 minutes so they can race to pick up little Aarkin from his ballet lessons or whatever.

So I'm going through the self-checkout and get to the point where it's time to pay, bill was a little over $90. I reach to my back pocket for a credit card from my wallet and my wallet is not there. There's a brief, internal "Ahhh!", that sinking feeling, an the muffled utterance of a profanity. My wallet is "always" in my daily-wear pants, along with all my other pants-located edc items. I hang these pants on a hook in the closet when I'm not wearing them. However, I had removed my wallet to make an on-line purchase and failed to replace it immediately. It was still sitting on the kitchen table.

Okay, so I start to consider my options... Worst case, I bag up my items and wheel them over to the customer service counter and explain that I have to go out to my vehicle. There I've got a stash with, among other things, a credit card and some cash. Thinking further, there's my money clip in my front pocket which, fortunately, I had not neglected to keep stocked. (I try to keep a couple hundred bucks in it. I can do this as I'm single. I've noticed you married guys usually have around $3 on you at any given time.). Phew! Peel off a bunch of $20s, feed the machine, get my change and receipt, and I'm out the door being really careful not to get pulled over by a cop on my way home as I don't have my driver's license, either.

A cautionary tale.

2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Hahaha. Yeah, us married guys are screwed

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

kikaida, mizedog, montejames and 3 others like this.
  3. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]rooster by ?, on Flickr

Before the divorce.

Very wise not to keep all your eggs in one basket.

[​IMG]pluckedchicken by ?, on Flickr

After the divorce.

kikaida, mizedog, montejames and 2 others like this.
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Ha! When I got married that's one of the trap doors I refused to fall through.

However, whereas I presently make about six times what I did when I was single, I still carry at most about $100 spendable cash. When I was single and made far less I usually had at least $250. Odd how that happens.

I left my wallet at home very recently but had my EDC bag. I do keep another $60 or so in there (and have had those same bills since probably 2012), I had no driver's license, CHL, etc.

I do have scans of all my cards and documents on Google Drive for ready viewing although that's still not "legal."

Anyhow, after the above, I added a credit card to my EDC bag which is something I've been meaning to do for a long, long time but haven't.

I keep my checkbook in my EDC bag for the rare occasion I need a check (mostly utility bills and the yard guy).

5. Blackheart

I hadn't even considered that my checkbook was in my truck bag out in my vehicle. One potential problem there:

Me: "Will you take a check?"
    Store Employee: "Sure, got some valid form of photo ID that proves the name on the check is you?"
    Me: "If I did, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

6. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Interesting point.

I also have the ability to pay with Samsung Pay which in many cases is faster than swiping a credit or debit card.

kikaida likes this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I carry a wallet in my jacket which holds my main cash cache and a credit card. I carry a card case in a trouser pocket which holds a smaller cash cache and a debit/ATM card. I think this arrangement covers most eventualities.

8. Blackheart

I AM thinking about trading my money clip for one of those slim card-holding clips so I could carry a credit-card separate from my wallet. If I were to just slip a card into the current clip, I'm pretty sure the card would get pretty beat-up in no time.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Useful place for other things too - stamps, CPR face shield, duct tape wrapped round a store card, etc.

Blackheart likes this.
  10. soulknight

soulknight Loaded Pockets

I'm one of those married guys. I found it funny he said we usually have $3 on us. I recently went to the ATM, pulled $20 and put it in my wallet. A couple days later I was running late for work and didn't have time for breakfast. When I arrived at work one of my co-workers said he was going to McDonalds and asked if anyone wanted something. I said yes, pulled out my wallet and saw $3 in it The wife later admitted she took it.

I still love her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mephysto and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

+2 for Samsung Pay. Saved me the other day. I like earning rewards points as well.

12. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

I have some cash and a CC hidden in the truck. I have $20 in the case of the phone and $20 in a tube on my keychain. Do I ever forget my wallet??? Guess.

13. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Sitting in my car, looking at €220 and trying to figure out how to turn it into 270 so I could buy the Ps4 in the shop round the corner. A withdrawal from the Credit Union was a option, but I was having adult guilt about the purchase and figured if I could just scrounge the cash together then it would be a message from the Universe/God that it was ok. Looking through all the door pockets, pants pockets...nothing. Then I had the glimmer of a memory - and reached for my SAK Craftsman in its belt pouch. There, under the knife in the bottom of the leather pouch, was fifty bucks, and a pair of disposable gloves that come with the cans of polyurethane foam...a sign!

14. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I am earning the points too. I have no idea what I will get with them, but it is fun to earn points. I even swipe a blank card at the gas pump and then quickly hold up my phone so I can use Samsung Pay to buy gas.

kikaida likes this.