1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Not a watch guy...but I want to be...

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Longbob, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

You can find some nice Citizen watches for $100. Alsoa few nice Seiko watches in that range.

Longbob likes this.
  2. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

I believe it is the Casio MVD106, often referred to as the Casio Marlin diver and can be had for about $70. It has a huge following over at the Watchuseek forum as a great bang for your buck watch. It comes on a rubber strap. The one in the pic was swapped out for a nato.

Longbob likes this.
  3. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Seiko's 5 series offers a whole lot choices for not a lot of money (relatively speaking). Of course, they're all mechanical watches and subject to the limitations of mechanical watches, most notably they will never be as accurate as a quartz watch. If you want accuracy (my 5's are off by 1-2 minutes per day) then a 5 isn't for you.

If you find yourself getting into watches and want a mechanical watch, then Hamilton or Tissot are good entry points.

Longbob and Devon Scout like this.
  4. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

Spot on !

The 5 range is huge I've a couple of mini monsters and love them. Like Mike says the accuracy isn't there but it's only a small adjustment here and there. They are excellent value too solid made, nice straps and a quality feel.

Longbob likes this.
  5. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Great information.

Here is what I did. I ordered the Casio Marlin Diver watch. I also ordered a Seiko 5.

Total out the door for both $110 so now I have both and will see how I like them. Going to order a nato band and leather to see how they work. Definitely experimenting here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

On a leather strap I'd always recommend. A deployment clasp, easy enough to source from the bay and easy to swap out. What it does is help preserve a leather strap by not stretching it's and misshaping it get it through a buckle.

Longbob likes this.
  7. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

If you are going to experiment with natos, check out the bay. Many can be found for about $2 and are pretty good

8. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

If you can afford to push past your budget a little, I recommend a Seiko SKX007 with a field strap. You'll have a hard time not wearing it!

Longbob likes this.
  9. Frankie Bones

Frankie Bones Loaded Pockets

You are going down a rabbit hole. I started spending $100 here and there on various watches. Soon I was spending a few hundred per. Then, I finally went all out and purchased a Damasko and sold off all of my other watches at a loss. I only wear one watch now.

My point is that you may be best served purchasing a Seiko 007 or 009 and then saving for your grail instead of wasting money on cheaper watches along the way.

EZDog, Ross2187 and Longbob like this.
  10. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

So far loving the Marlin. Should get the 5 in a couple days. Next is to try a nato band for this watch!

[​IMG]

Stutz, EXCALIBUR and PBJS II like this.
  11. John Scalzi

John Scalzi Loaded Pockets

My first diver was a Casio. It served me well for years on end. I even used it for real diving! Good luck with it.

12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love my Seiko 5. It's a great watch. Mine is light, but the case is only 38mm. They do make larger cased watches as well. I also love my G-Shocks (I have a DW5600 and a GW500A). Casio generally makes great watches across the board. There are some that I wouldn't wear because I find them ugly, but from the $10 F-91W to the $450 Frogman they make good quality watches.
    Also take a look at the Invicta 8926OB. If you're planning on using it in the water, look at something else (Invicta's quality control has been known to let some leaky watches through) but for normal daily use it's a good watch. I love mine. I got it on a steel bracelet and it looks good and is comfortable. I've got it on my wrist on a black Maratac Zulu strap right now.
    You'll be hard pressed to find a Luminox for under $100.

You're probably going to want to look for a watch as close to 45mm as you can get. That's a good size, about where the larger (i.e. not the 5600 case) G-Shocks, the Luminoxes, and a bunch of analog dive type watches come in. It's large enough to yield a masculine look and a substantial watch but not so large as to overhang the wrist or knock into a lot of things.

I hope this helps!

alces likes this.
  13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have one digital and it's a Frogman! Great watch.

thatotherguy likes this.
  14. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I have a Seiko 5 and I love it. I bought several NATO straps so I can change up the look. I don't mind the small size, as I don't need to have Flava Flav's necklace on my wrist. I have not had any serious issues with accuracy so far. Most of the time, I find that I'm not looking at my watch for a super-exact time; rather, I'm getting a general idea of the time and being a little off isn't going to hurt. I've had it since early November and I've adjusted the time maybe once or twice. I like the brushed case, I like the clear caseback on a watch this inexpensive, and I personally like having a mechanical, since I don't need more accuracy. And if you're going to get an inexpensive daily-wear mechanical, you might as well get an automatic.

ran23 likes this.
  15. Techno

Techno Empty Pockets

I will recomend CASIO DURO 200 series! :)

16. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I see I commented in this thread a couple times. I bought several cheap watches from Walmart.
    Then I discovered Pawn Shops!

I got a NICE Aviator AVW 7770G58 for $50 + tax. Took the rest of a C note to get a NICE leather band and a battery installed.

And an Orient Black Mako Automatic that I have been messing with the regulator in for 59.95 + tax
    Which I hope to acquire a Nato strap for.

Bustos likes this.
  17. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

This is excellent advice and is true for most things, not just edc items. I am in a similar situation but I wonder if I would have gotten to this spot had I not purchased some of the less expensive watches and learned more about what I really wanted. Do you think you would have found the Damasko, very nice btw, or even knew what your Grail watch was if you hadn't bought a few gateway watches along the way? Not sure there is a right answer as I struggled with it myself, it may just be part of the learning curve. Again, great advice and the Seiko SKX 007 series is a perfect first watch and could be the only watch you will ever need.

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Could be. But my next purchase will be quartz!

19. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have mostly quartz watches.
    Some Fossil, Casio, Timex.
    I have found that some quartz watches are very difficult to hack because the minute hand flops around. Some of my better ones hack easily.
    I've become fearless at changing bracelets and straps.
    I remain a little fearful at going under the hood to regulate the Automatics...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk