1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Not a watch guy...but I want to be...

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Longbob, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Like the title says, I am not a watch guy. I own several watches but nothing out of the ordinary. I have a couple of Swatch watches, an Oakley Holeshot, old Casio that I wore about 15 years ago but that is about it. I actually enjoy wearing watches from time to time and find a watch useful whenever I have it on but after wearing them off and on for a months I just move away from them for whatever reason.

That gets me thinking, maybe I am wearing the wrong watches. I have been toying with the idea of buying a G-Shock to see if I can spark my interest in watches again. I also like Luminox, the style and the weight of them (light).

Can anyone recommend a watch that is light weight, comfortable to wear and is a decent size? I am 6'2, 250lbs so I think a larger watch face will be nice.

I am currently looking at a G-Shock GD100-1B in Black. Before going to Luminox I think I want to get something cheaper to try out.

What do you guys think of the GD100? Any other recommendations? There are so many watches on this forum I am not even sure where to start!

Bob

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Budget ?

3. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

Casios have always served me well.

[​IMG]

4. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Sorry, $100 is the top of the budget in case I wind up not using it in the future like I've been know to do lol

Longbow_06 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Orient Mako or Ray ?
    Seiko 5 ?
    Bertucci Titanium ?

Longbob and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I am a G Shock man for life. I have gone through a few Mudman versions. The only reason I get new ones is aesthetics. I never take it off, so eventually the scratches and paint splatter etc makes it ugly. Also, from what I read, once you open them up to change the battery, they are less water tight, and are more prone to fogging. I like the black or olive drab colors. I contemplated getting a brighter color, but it really isn't me.

7. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Tell me more about that Casio? Is it stock or not?

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

An additional piece of info would be helpful: are you planning to use the watch for work? And, if so, is the work you do in an office or out in the field?

For example, I have a G-Shock as well as a Timex Expedition. Both are great watches for the money, but are not -- in my opinion -- optimal choices for office workers. They're big and chunky, with the G-Shocks, especially, being reminiscent of hockey pucks! However, before I retired I noticed that many other LEOs ... as well as firefighters and EMS people ... wore G-Shocks. A great watch for those professions.

On the Luminox: I had an Officer model for about 15 years. It was a great watch ... and a little more dressy than the Casio or G-Shock. But, Luminox is having quality control issues now. Also, they're way above $100 in price, too. So, let us know about what kind of environment you plan to wear the watch in and we can give you a more focused answer.

9. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

The Seiko 5 runs you about $50 ($50 to more, depending on the model). I love mine (I have a fairly basic automatic model). And you can get them (there are tons of different models of the 5) in a great setup for office work, if that is what you need.

10. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

At your height and weight, you can wear just about anything in the 46 to 52 mm size. You may want to try your search at an authorized dealer where you can at least look at them in the display case. Decide on what is important to you and then it gets easy to narrow down your choices.

A couple of things to consider:
    Display - Analog vs digital or a combination
    Movement - Solar, kinetic, battery, or mechanical
    Case - Metal or resin or combination
    Band - metal, nylon, leather, or resin
    Features - Waterproof, altitude, thermometer, GPS, tachymeter, atomic clock synchronization, rotating Bezel, date display, luminous hands, etc.

Longbob likes this.
  11. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

If I can get a watch I can wear to work (office) and outside that would be awesome.

12. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

OK, given that then some of the suggestions you've already received are still pertinent: the Casios, the Timex Expeditions, the Seikos: there are many choices in the $100 or less range.

Longbob likes this.
  13. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

If I can find one in a store I'm going for a Timex with a black face, leather strap, white numbers and luminous hands. Around $50.

Longbob likes this.
  14. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I think you will like the GD100. They are great watches and you can't go wrong with a G Shock. In fact, my neighbor is Army Special Forces and he has a GD100 and swears by it.

15. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Have been looking at some of the suggested watches on and off throughout the day while watching the games and found I like the Seiko 5 watches quite a bit. Read some reviews about them losing time over the course of a week or month which would be a pain but other than that I like.

Does anyone think the standard 38mm version is too small?

Also really like the gd100 still but trying to figure out how I can wear it to the office lol

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

16. FeeSimpleAbsolute

So my experience is that my Seiko 5 would actually get ahead over time. Not what I expected...

The 38mm is not too small on me. I like it because it doesn't get in my way. I might try something slightly larger if I were in the market for a new one, but I like the size. I suppose it'll depend on your wrist size, though.

Last edited by FeeSimpleAbsolute, Jan 17, 2016
    Cobra 6 Actual and Longbob like this.
  17. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Seiko Men's SGG711 Titanium Watch...130 bucks on the big river site. Not a big watch but very light weight in full titanium.

18. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Good to hear! My wrist is not that large but its definitely not small. About 2.5" wide I would say. I might give the standard size a try!

19. FeeSimpleAbsolute

I like the look of that one.

Cobra 6 Actual and CatsTide like this.
  20. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

I am a watch guy and I've been wearing it over a year.