1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

North Face quality went up, it seems.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CanvasNBrass, Jan 15, 2016.

1. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Couple years ago I bought a North Face Recon. Heard good things. Just didn't like the bag. Quality felt poor and the mesh pockets on the side didn't hold a water bottle to save their lives. This past Christmas I got a $100 certificate and figured maybe I'd get a newer version of the Recon. Looked at them online and opted to go with the Borealis model. Wow. Their quality in the last 3-5 years really seems to have gone up. I'm loving this bag as a daypack for hiking. I'm tempted to get another Borealis to use as an EDC bag. Might go one up for the newer Recon model if it's improved over past versions.

(No affiliation with North Face. I swear. Just happily surprised.)

cole3418 and Roy Williams like this.
  2. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i have to say jansport has gone down in quality for some time now i bought one in 2013 and into early 2015 i could see some punctures in the bottom of the bag. whereas my JS big student from 15 years ago was indestructible.

3. CanvasNBrass

I agree. I thought about getting a Jansport. Figured....hey it got me through all those years of school with way more books than items I EDC. I checked them out at my local department store chain and was shocked the poor quality. I wonder if the ones sold in chain stores are just really cheap bags with the Jansport label and the actual Jansports you buy from Jansport (Or I guess Zappos and the like) are the real deal.

4. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

yeah the ones they have at department stores like the Trans versions seem really low quality. bad stitching very flimsy materials

5. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I just saw a few at REI and those bags seems very nice compared to one's I've seen in the past. Better materials, better layout, even seems like better construction.

6. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Well ya, NF have adopted to the times and needs of the urbanites not just the outdoorsmen. As you know, city people have very picky taste on fashion and money and any outdoor bag company comes under strict scrutiny. Lately, their tough top loading packs is becoming in for yuppies and their laptop sleeves are almost bomb proof as well. The Recon pack looks attractive and feels tough; just doesn't fit right on my frame. One of those bags that you like to have but unfortunately just doesn't make the cut on your comfort. There's an unused camou coloured pack( forgot the model) sitting in my closet hoping for the kid to like it someday! As well as the rest of my tactical packs. I have a good collection of their 3in1 jackets though as well as sweaters, fleece layers, toques and gloves!

7. CanvasNBrass

Also seems that it helps that TNF has basically a "Premium Bag" lineup that is essentially 90% of the old favorites like the Surge and Recon. So I think that helped bring up their quality a lot.

8. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott Loaded Pockets

I've got one of their bags, the Microbyte to be specific. It's really nice and does pretty much everything I want it to do and doesn't look tactical at all.

9. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I have the newer Big Shot II and its a fantastic bag. I'm actually going to sell it but thats only because I splurged on a TB Brain Bag.

10. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

I just recently picked up my second North Face Surge. Its a newer generation, and still awesome. Pretty comfortable for being #240 and 6'4'' tall. I may pick up a third for EDC. I use one for school, and the other for freshwater tackle.

I wish they were a little more waterproof from the factory, the amount of material almost seems a little over the top, just makes it harder to waterproof!

11. ShortRound131

ShortRound131 Loaded Pockets

Shoot, I did not need to see this post lol. I've been eyeing a couple of North Face bags, glad to see good reports.

12. CanvasNBrass

Now's a good time to get one since last year's bags are being sold at discounts and this year's bags are rolling out soon. I paid like $75 for my Borealis, but the company has a policy of if the price changes within 30 days of your purchase they refund you the difference. So I saved even more.

13. Roy Williams

Roy Williams Loaded Pockets

[deleted]

Last edited by Roy Williams IV, Mar 9, 2018
    #13 Roy Williams, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  14. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

Reopening kind of an older topic here, but...
    Does anyone actually know how big a TNF Surge is? (The current model, specifically)
    The TNF site and virtually every site you can buy one from says it is a 33L pack. I ordered one based in part on that, but when it arrived, the tag attached says it is a 30L bag instead. Not to be a stickler for details, but that's 10% smaller! Granted, it's a nice bag and I'm most likely going to keep it either way, but I'm a little annoyed that TNF is giving me conflicting information, and I'd like to know which of the numbers is correct. (Note: I sent them a message through the website asking which was correct, but I have yet to hear anything in response)

15. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I have a North Face Big Shot that I bought in 2003. Great bag, still in perfect condition after 13 years of regular use. I am actually about to take it on a 2 week trip to Japan.

16. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

Update: I got a response back from their customer service email address that said 33L. However, the tone of the email makes me think they just went out to the product page and copy/pasted the number from there into the response, as they didn't mention why the tag and the product page didn't agree or make any sort of explanation or anything. It was pretty much the response I would have expected if my question was simply "How big is the Surge?"
    Oh well...

17. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

I have 2 Surges.

Is there anything more specific you'd like me to measure?

18. Inherentsilence

Inherentsilence Empty Pockets

For what it's worth I have the newest version of the Surge and it's a great bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

Both my kids have the Surge for school and I can't believe how well it's taken the abuse they've given those bags! They overpack the crap out of them! I can't believe how much stuff they need to carry for school.

20. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

My son has a TNF Vault pack and it's nice. Long, decently roomy. Pretty good for casual day to day and outdoor use. I may have to get my own.