1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-weapon Weapons

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Simplicity05, May 25, 2013.

1. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

You are most likely correct I am afraid :(

Honestly this is an amazing idea.

2. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

A pen or marker.
    An AA flashlight as a Kubaton.
    My personal favorite even when flying, a heavy leather belt with a heavy Belt Buckle Chicago screwed on top of the snaps. You don't want hit with this..

nightowl likes this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Usually I make my own. the one on the far right I brough back from a little shop in the UK. It's a very heavy blackthorn, The far left is one I made from maple, the second from left is a blackthorn, the third from left is a hickory I made from the small sapling using the root knob as a handle. The fourth from tyhe left is a hornbeam, also clled iron wood, I made from a small hornbeam tree again using the root polished up as the handle. I've got someothers I made, but haven't photographed them yet. I like hickory and hornbeam as they are very tough woods, and take impact well. Ash is good too.

Since I have a bum wheel under me from a sevice injury, and am rated by the V.A. as 50% disabled, I have never left the house without a good stick since my medical discharge. I can get by on a good day wihtout one, but why not, since Ihave a photo ID card in my wallet from the VA hospital where I get all my medical care. When I was at Walter Reed Army hospital in Washington D.C. in 1970, for rehab, I was not the best motivated patient. Too busy feeling sorry for myself. Then Captain Tanaka came into the picture.He was one of the doctors that oversaw the rehab, and evaluated the patients. He was a young Japanese-American from San Francisco, and he appealed to my practical side. Told me as long as I was going to be on a cane for the rest of my life, I may as well learn what to do with one. Taught me some good stick fighting some based on Kendo which is what he was into. I still think to this day "God bless Captain Tanaka" and I never go out without my stick.

Carl.

warchild likes this.
  4. Swedish169

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

in my opinion, the best defense is knowing how to throw a solid punch. take a class in Muay Thai of Krav Maga or something similar. you'll get a great workout on top of it. I always carry a pocket knife, but after a few years of training thai boxing i'd be more effective throwing a cross or knee than using a blade.

if you want something to hit a guy with, a wrench, tire-iron, or something that would belong in a truck would be best, maybe a small shovel or broom. i don't think a taser would be effective at stopping someone if they really wanted to get at you, but pepper spray might work better. I once saw a guy pull off his belt in a fight and whip the other guy with the buckel end - it worked pretty well i guess cause the other guy left.

also, a previous poster mentioned a sock full of quarters - here in NJ that's a deadly weapon - no lie. I know i guy who got busted for having one, he was 55years old and got in a car accident, the police arrived, searched his car without permission, found it and booked him. judge gave him 50hrs of community service.

5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Use your tool keychain instead of the sock. Usually as a true EDCer, you have some heavy and sharp stuff on there. Somewhere here on the forum is a post about how painful getting hit with one can get. ;)

6. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

I would be tempted to ask for more details on the policy. They may just not want guns, in which case you could carry pepper spray or a taser. In my eyes a knife is a tool and I see no reason why you couldn't carry it.

7. Simplicity05

Simplicity05 Loaded Pockets

My current thought is a 2D or 2C Maglite ROP or other similar mod to shine on the attacker's brain to induce night blindness and gain an advantage, and a stainless sharpie to act as a low profile kuboton when things get physical. I figure the Maglite can also be used to strike with as well, and the 2 cell format would lend it's self to a better swing than a big 6D mag.

The walking stick is a fine idea, but I don't have a wide space to use that in. Even from a jabbing perspective, you're still trying to aim a 4-6' stick in a tight space, and then get enough on it to make it matter. For outside the truck I think it could be effective, but in the cab I think it would not be the most effective solution.

Thoughts?

I'm on cpf trying to get help with the exact parts and sourcing for a ROP mod, but it's been slow going thus far there.

8. don Roberto

don Roberto Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend a very high-powered flashlight (multi-hundred lumens) to disorient a potential attacker. Any kind of spray can would be useful too; I'll bet even a spray antiperspirant would muck up someone's eyes, and something like oven cleaner doesn't bear thinking about. That latter could land you with an aggravated assault charge, though; be careful.

Basically, think of something you could reasonably expect to have in a truck cab. The T-tool for reaming out a tire hole, for example, will look suspicious if you don't have the rest of the kit. A can of wasp spray is great if you have a wasp problem in your truck, but how plausible is that?

Also, consider how much damage you want to do to the bad guy. How worried are you? Murder? Robbery? Rape? Drunken assault? Remember you may need to justify yourself in court. Check out Rory Miller and/or nononsenseselfedefense.com. Those two sources are a wealth of useful straight talk on broader considerations of defending yourself.

9. Simplicity05

Simplicity05 Loaded Pockets

Those considerations are what has led me to think the ROP and metal pen may be the best thing. The ROP with the low bulb I think is still capable of 500 lumens, and nobody would think twice about the pen.

Robbery is what concerns me. Doubt anyone wants to rape my 300lbs...

10. Elg

Elg Loaded Pockets

Go really old school: carry a stick and a rock. ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

No pepper spray, you'll flood the cabin and incapacitate yourself. I like breaker bars. Especially for a vehicle.
    They come in a variety of sizes, grips, etc. You can find them at any hardware store, auto store, flea market, junk pile. I just picked up a great sized one for me, for .25 at last weekends flea market, can't wait to get it in my car to replace the plastic auto-hammer as a self defense tool.
    They also double as...well..a breaker bar. Get the correct socket to put somewhere in your cabin, and you're certainly not carrying a weapon on board!

12. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Not exactly ideal for use in a vehicle but I read one time wasp spray has a very similar effect to pepper spray and it would definitely pass by the no weapon policy.

warchild and Schapendoes like this.
  13. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

For that, carry a dummy wallet. A couple of bucks and non-cards or the company fuel card. (If you have a leashed wallet, ie. with a chain, dump it or use it as the dummy.) Get a lock box you can secure in the rig for your cash. Only have a $20 when you walk out of the rig.

Truck stops and yards can be tough spots for maintaining security, but a couple of steps to reduce the size of the bullseye on your back will help. The guy who shows a lot of green when buying the 64oz coffee at the Loves is more likely to get rolled than the guy that has to cobble change together for it. (Of course a half gallon of piping hot coffee is also a good weapon.)

14. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Before looking into dummy wallets, please find out how muggers in your area do things. If muggers in your area ask nicely for your wallet, a dummy wallet can help, but if they're like the muggers here where they come at you in packs and empty out all your pockets and/or knock you out and take everything on your person, clothes and all, then a dummy wallet won't help.

Aleister and kertap75 like this.
  15. armedtetrapod

armedtetrapod Loaded Pockets

Padlock+Sock=Slock

gooseman1991 likes this.
  16. eqlzr

eqlzr Loaded Pockets

I think that's called a slungshot.

KOKUSHI MUSOU and armedtetrapod like this.
  17. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Which is illegal in many jurisdictions. I like the idea of using your EDC keychain as a slungshot mentioned above if I didn't think that slungshots are risky to use in general.

18. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I just had an idea. You know how they have salad dressing in a spritzer type spray bottle now-adays so you don't use tto much, but you get dressing all over your salad evenly.

The same trick would work for hot sauce, AND it could be a bit like squirting your cat with water. You spritz a BG, say, "No! Bad cat," and run. What do you think?

I think I may do this just for the eating part (I always end up with spicy parts and non-spicy parts of a dish using the normal method).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by Inner Prop, Jun 11, 2013
  19. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

That's why I carry my keys about 8 of them on a splitring with a short piece of chain and a small heavyduty carabiner clip. I leave the clip hang out of my pocket and if needed I can slip a finger through it and pull my keys out and swing them at an attacker's face should be good enough to make them stop for a few seconds.

[​IMG]

AcesQ likes this.
  20. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

How about a plastic shopping bag with a can of pop or soup. Or maybe a couple little cans of energy drink. Double the bags up for strength.

On shows about motorcycle gangs, lots of them carry flashlights. Or a bandana tied in a loop with a padlock hanging from it, but I can't see that being legal in a lot of areas.

Mike