1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-tactical sling pack.....

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tallboyjim, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

......with a bottle pocket.

I've gone through many many threads on here and liked a lot of what I've seen but can't really find what I'm after. Tactical would look daft on me, an out of shape middle aged man, because I'd often be using it around proper young, fit tactical types.

I saw a dakin hub(or was it Draft) that looked ok but I didn't like the lack of admin. The Thule crossover looked better still in terms of lay out and size but if a manufacturer expects me to walk around with their name that size on a bag, they need to paying me to be a mobile billboard.

Contents will be a iPad, tiny jacket, tape measure, assorted EDC stuff and a couple of books. I'm using a cheapo sling pack which has opened my eyes to the concept but isn't anywhere near big enough. The small timbuk2 messenger I use when I'm carrying the IPad has never really won me over - I always find myself "digging around" for stuff rather than finding it. I looked at 20l vango backpack I already own - but that didn't offer what I wanted either - maybe because of the size or design, it always felt like it was going to slip of the shoulder (I only want to carry it over one shoulder rather than both).

As ever, I'd be grateful for ideas.

2. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Patagonia do a sling bag called the Atom, but it may be a little too small for your needs.

At the higher end of the price spectrum is the Chrome Industries Niko Bag, its intended as a camera bag, but no reason why it couldn't function as an EDC pack.

InCase do a few sling packs, I've had one or two over the years, and they're well made. Again, targeted at camera/laptop carry but can work well as an EDC Bag. In fact, the last InCase sling bag I had bore an uncanny resemblance, even down to some of the finer detail, as the 5.11 UCR Slingpack......

I'll always add the caveat about sling packs and being careful what you wish for. An hour or two with even a fairly moderate load can cause shoulder pain. I'm always banging on about Maxpeditions Monsoon, it was a pack that I really wanted to get on with, but it was just too darn uncomfortable.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  3. Tallboyjim

I'm aware of the atom, I reckon it will be too small. Never heard of chrome or InCase so will check them out for sure.

I take on board your comments about weight - the reason I want a sling pack is because is because it's on and off a lot - I doubt I'd carry for more than an hour at a time. Speaking of 5.11, their covrt range has appeared on my radar!

4. Macbrun

Macbrun Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Vertx Transit Sling? Sounds like it may fit the bill for you.

http://www.vertx.com/edc-transit-sling

Edit: I missed the first line about a water bottle pocket. Transit doesn't have one, sorry.

Last edited by Macbrun, Mar 5, 2017
    #4 Macbrun, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Tallboyjim likes this.
  5. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

I'd still look at Maxpedition and other similar makes of sling packs. From the sounds of it you want plenty of separate pockets in order to organize. Not sure about the other sizes or brands but it's the main reason I chose the Maxpedition Kodiak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tallboyjim likes this.
  6. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Agreed. The agr line really isn't that tactical looking

Tallboyjim likes this.
  7. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

Check out the sling pack section on the LAPG site. They have a few good ones. http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-sling-pack.html

Personally, I use my Maxpedition Sitka all the time when on business and I'm a service engineer working in hospitals. I often get compliments and questions about it. Black is a lot more discrete than OD Green would be too, even though that's what mine are. I carry a 15" HP laptop, tools, etc.

JFire and Tallboyjim like this.
  8. Tallboyjim

In terms of layout, the maxped kodiak or stikka tick more or less every box - and if I was just in and out of the warehouse etc I'd very probably buy one.

9. Tallboyjim

This line I'm not aware of, I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Actually, looking into it, it's a strong possibility. I'll find a uk stockist.

#9 Tallboyjim, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The Maxpedition gear slingers are pretty easily tweaked to look much less tactical. Replace the zipper pulls, shock cord and such with more colorful options. Slip a colorful pen, or keysmart on a dangler into the webbing. put something innocuous in the shock cord. Get some colorful heat shrink tubing and shrink it around your preferred flashlight or pen grip. I keep a small boker Plus and Fenix LD02 in orange heat shrink tubing dress in the two front straps on the sling itself. Easy access, easy to find if set down. I've been tempted to put an orange ALOX SAK on a dangler. But those are scarce... Anyway, it keeps me playing for team Orange Crush. If you play it off as non tactical it comes across to most as non-tactical.

Lots of non-tactical morale patches too. My wife keeps a Linux Tux penguin patch for her morale patch. And I don't use one at all.

And if you really want to, webbing is easily cut away from the bag. Saves you some weight and snag points. Maybe keep the center line of webbing for the compression strap uses. Touch up the stitching holes with some seam seal if you're concerned about water entry.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  11. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

I think you may be overthinking things. For the needs you describe why not get a half way decent day pack? When mine is lightly packed, I sling it over one shoulder. It would save a lot of shopping for a limited use item.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  12. Tallboyjim

If I didn't overthink things, I wouldn't be here and my wallet would be fatter ;););)

The cost of the maxped gridflux, which I like, is a big chunk of change for me at the moment, over £150 in the uk, which is more than the contents if I take the iPad out, and I'm not sure I can justify the expense (yet). But you make a valid point - I might look at a few day packs and maybe some different messenger packs with different admin sections (and less Velcro).

13. Tallboyjim

I couldn't cut up an expensive (for me anyway) bag.

outbackwack likes this.
  14. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I'll say this I had the gridflux and sold it and got the riftcore because the strap was a pain and wasn't comfortable. It might work for you but I just couldn't get into the sling bag thing (this was my first slinger). I like the versapak type bags better. The jumbo fits an IPAD in the CCW pouch without issue but I don't think it will fit all of your other stuff

Maybe the wolf spur? It looks a little bigger than a jumbo and has lots of organization. Not sure how you feel about a Murse though

[​IMG]

Bladerunner337 and Tallboyjim like this.
  15. Tallboyjim

I'm kind of on the fence - they (like the maxped jumbo I've also been eyeing up) ticks many boxes - good organisation, not too big, some aren't too expensive (although if anyone can point out the difference between a regular maxped and S-Type one I'd be grateful). Again the main problem I might find is the "digging" phenomenon I mentioned earlier. It's because I used to work in a shop and had countless women digging around looking for stuff - every time I catch myself doing the same I get flashbacks ;);)

16. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

These are way more organized than my wife's purse. The S type are just reversed and hang on your left side instead of the right

Tallboyjim likes this.
  17. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I chose the S-type for all 3 Maxpeds I use. Sitka, Noatak and GTC. iPad will not fit in the GTC but my Nexus 7 does.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim likes this.
  18. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

Condor has a nice line of covert slings and as a fan of both 5.11 and Condor, Condor's prices win for me. I tried the sling route with a MOAB 10 i found it uncomfortable to wear. Im now using a Covrt 18 but i loved the way the MOAB 10 was laid out. I don't pay out of pocket for 5.11 stuff and i wanted either a RUSH 12 or 24 but all they had was the Covrt.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim likes this.
  19. Batsy

Batsy Loaded Pockets

20. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Word of caution on maxped Kodiak, i got one ways back and it was only slightly smaller than a TAD litespeed but as soon as you put more than two kg of load in it it became impossible to carry as well as uncomfortable. I've broad shoulders and large core, but that thing would not stop slipping off my shoulder no matter how tight i pulled it.
    It's stiff and boxy so it looks like it should have good capacity and it looks like the eingeneering would bear it, it did not imo.

Covert moab is on my maybe list tho.