1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-tactical appearance EDC Bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by cale, Jan 30, 2012.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I've had good experiences with the north face bags. They've got decent amounts of internal organiseation, good quality, and comfortable enough for every day use.

As others have said, most "tactical" bags only really scream tactical to those in the know (millitary, some LEO, gear freaks like us), although some things are very obvious (cammoflage can be a dead giveaway)

2. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

I am always on the lookout for bags which look less tactical, but have excellent durability, and expansion capabilities inside of the bag, as I like and use MOLLE for adding customized pouches, etc into my bags. I settled on two, the 5.11 COVRT 18 backpack (previously mentioned) and the 5.11 Side Trip laptop/shoulder bag:

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Business-Tactical/Side-Trip-Briefcase.html

I slide a 5.11 MPC inside of it, which holds my laptop and I have a couple of pouches mounted on it, along with some Velcro based pouches inside the Sidetrip.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Business-Tactical/MPC-Case-Modular-Platform-Case.html

I also seriously considered the Maxpedition Larkspur, but ultimately decided I didn't want a messenger style bag.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/LARKSPUR-MESSENGER-BAG-Small-13p1240.htm

3. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

I have a Tactical Tailor 3 day pack in Ranger Green that I use when I travel that rarely gets a second glance. If anyone comments, it's to ask if I was in the military. Even the guys with ACU packs don't get much of a blink.

As far as tacticool goes, my EDC Lunada which is chock full of pouches usually only gets "nice murse" comments.

4. agentcircus

agentcircus Loaded Pockets

I should have got this bag.

5. remy b

remy b Loaded Pockets

I'll soon get a Falcon 2, either in some nice colour or plain black.

I guess so long as one stays aways from foliage, coyote and of course camo, a bag will just look like another Cordura / nylon bag...

6. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I really like the Timbuk2 messenger bags and backpacks. Really solid materials and construction, but they're totally commercial in appearance - no hint of tacti-cool.

But what I'm carrying atm as my non-tactical EDC is the North Face Animas 12. Pretty small, great organization, and has a perfect spot for my iPad.

http://www.rei.com/product/835736/the-north-face-animas-12-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz-2011-closeout,-venom-yellow?preferredSku=8357360001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-8357360001&mr:trackingCode=24E2126A-6439-E111-B2D2-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

7. nafterize

nafterize Loaded Pockets

I vote for Camelbak or, if you want a messenger-style bag, check out timbuk2.

8. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I dunno what country the OP lives in; but in Canada Mountain Equipment Co-op had excellent bags for very reasonable prices; I have a messenger bag of their that way $30 that holds an astounding amount of stuff and has lots of compartments and pockets.

It holds more than any other bag I've owned. Plus they're a "granola outdoorsy" brand so they're def. not tactical looking. Maybe REI is the US equivalent?

9. MR24927
    • In Omnia Paratus

MR24927 Loaded Pockets

how abbout a saddleback leather backpack very expensive but great qualtily

10. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of the Mountainsmith Day. shoulder strap or lumbar belt or you can shoulder straps for pack-style carry. The right size for daily EDC and fairly invisible.

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

A friend has Mountainsmith bags. Nice. I like 'em.

13. Bikeracer77

Bikeracer77 Loaded Pockets

I have the Mountainsmith Day also. Put it through some good abuse over the years. Chrome messenger bags are fantastic also.

14. JusticeKN

JusticeKN Loaded Pockets

SO Tech advertised the Go Bag in alternative colors a while back (haven't researched them recently), after ordering one in a gray color that I thought looked more like a camera bag than an EDC bag, I experienced a VERY, VERY long wait. When they finally sent it, it was the wrong color (somewhat inexplicably, they said they decided to replace my order with a military looking Foliage Gray instead of the Gray I ordered -- though to their credit, this was direct contact with the owner who contacted me after I expressed my displeasure). The wait was SO long I was not interested in returning it, but I'd have like to have tried one in a nontactical color. (As an aside, after a couple weeks of carrying the bag, I noted one seems was not stitched down, unlikely anyone else would experience that flaw, but as much as I like and respect the company (the reviews I read were consistently outstanding) my order was a bit of disappointment.

15. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

16. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Seconded! And the best thing about them; you can completely customize the bag to your own preference.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/

I'm something of a long-time fan of their products.I still carry the bag I customized back in '98. When I customized one for my wife a few years ago I was blown away by the number of options.
    [​IMG]

17. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Timbuk2. Great bags! I also just picked up a pack from Osprey. I'm impressed with it. I'm taking it out for an overnighter tomorrow.

18. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I've had my eye on a couple of Tom Bihn bags for a while now. Non-tactical inside and out, but some have so many pockets they are probably practicool. They are reportedly well made of good materials (Cordura et al.) and don't seem particularly expensive either, if you are used to shopping for tacticool packs. Still haven't quite ordered one yet.

yellowhammer likes this.
  19. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Awesome new word you just coined. :)

mooshisho likes this.
  20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I've had really good experiences with Mountainsmith packs. The Clear Creek is a very nice daypack which is completely non-tactical. It's attractive and it wouldn't be out of place on a campus, in the city or in the outdoors. It has very good construction and organization, yellow contrast lining, and is pretty inexpensive. I think I got mine for $30. We also have the Tour, the Swift II and the Vibe II lumbar packs and they all were very well made for the price.