1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non Smartphone Cell phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MrEarp, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

Anyone have a favorite non smart phone cell phone that will work in the US either verizon or att?

2. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

To be honest, my first motivation to reply was so Wyatt and Doc could be together again. :tongue:

All kidding aside, I've had really good flip-phones by Samsung. The can be found at any big box store for Verizon. Fantastic sound quality (the forgotten feature) and they make great 'burners.'

onebadwagon and MrEarp like this.
  3. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

I've got the cheap burner phones, but I'd like to get something better. Preferably with bluetooth.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

At the last place I worked, the survey department was always watching eBay for cheap Motorola Razors. Apparently, they make great mobile modems. I don't know if they qualify as a non-smartphone, or not, though.

5. Wolfhunt3r

Wolfhunt3r Loaded Pockets

I have a Samsung XCover 271 as sort of a backup / bailout / hiking phone. It's durable, the battery lasts 2 weeks etc. I love it.
    It doesn't see the use it should lately though. The phone has a pre-paid SIM-card, even if calling emergency services is always free.

[​IMG]

Normally I carry an iPhone 6.

6. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

I was in the store with the big bullseye yesterday. I strolled over to take a look at the non smartphone offerings for Verizon and ATT. Unfortunately, I did not see one offered that would work with Bluetooth. I wonder if they exist. Looks like corded headsets might be the only option.

7. jasmanian-devil

jasmanian-devil Empty Pockets

We just finally upgraded to smart phones over the last couple months, haha. The old basic cell phones do have their advantages. Namely (1) the hilarious looks you get from people when you pull out a clamshell phone in this year 2016, and (2) no butt dialing.

My flip phone was "the cheapest pay-as-you-go phone I could buy in a department store after my last phone broke". It was... a phone. I upgraded to the "smallest pay-as-you-go smart phone that was free with purchase of XX minuets". It sure is... a phone.

Husband's flip phone was a Casio G Zone Rock (Verizon), which was aptly named. It was a sturdy, solid phone. A good phone! Which took a lot of abuse of the the years, and still outlived the charger. We never used the bluetooth feature, but a cursory search indicates it does come with it. Apparently the Rock is discontinued, but can be found online if you look around.

That said, the reason we upgraded was: gadget consolidation. A smart phone combines your phone, camera (no flip phone has a decent camera), mp3 player, and GPS. And flashlight *hides from flashlight enthusiasts* and alarm clock. So even if you have zero intention of ever playing Angry Birds, or posting to InstaFaceChat about what you're doing while you're doing it, or whatever kids are up to these days... it's probably worth it just because it replaces so much other extra gear.

benjisimon likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I actually have not one but TWO flip phones. The primary one is an LG Revere, through Verizon. I've had it for several years now. Just a rock solid device. In part because of Verizon I'm sure. All the hype not withstanding, Verizon's frequencies really do mean great coverage including inside buildings.

The other flip phone is also an LG. Had to pick it up a few years back on a business trip. Silly me left the primary phone in the car when I drove to the airport! Duh! Ran it on Verizon also. Performed just as good as the Revere. Once the month I had to sign up for (got it at Walmart at the time) was over, I shut it down. But wouldn't hesitate to start it up again if/when the Revere just goes belly up for good.

I'm not anti-tech. Far from it. Just don't have the need to shell out the extra $50 or so for data plan every month to have a smartphone!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

OOOOH, SORRY - I overlooked the part about ATT or Verizon. My bad!!!
    My backup is my moms old Nokia 1600 (I got her a newer phone for Xmas a few years ago). I like the big and very nice to push buttons and long battery life.
    I bought a new battery for the Nokia, glued a Nite Ize Total eclipse clip (which I had tried before on my Vic Forester but hadn't liked it) on the removable back piece, inserted my old prepaid card, recharged both the phone and the card, wrote some emeregency and family numbers in the SIM card memory, turned the thing off and shoved into one of the small compartments inside my pack (the clip wont let it fall out, it's like superglued in lol). Woohoo, backup phone!!! :D
    PS: My primary phone is an Android smartphone. I don't call and use SMS much - E-mail, Messenger and Viber are my things. Plus I need dualsim phone (one SIM for calling/SMS, another for data).
    PPS: If there was a "dumbphone" capable of Viber and Opera Mini, I'd probably go for that one. :)

Last edited by Redneck Bear, Oct 21, 2016
  10. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i still have a few siemens s65s. great phone.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets