1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non Lethals

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Denim_Chicken, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Denim_Chicken

Denim_Chicken Loaded Pockets

Do you guys carry non lethals to supplement your handgun? Last thing I wanna do is shoot or stab someone and result in a death unless I absolutely had to of course. I'm considering buying a stun gun or pepper spray. What do you carry? Or why don't you carry them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsabatine likes this.
  2. MillsHere

MillsHere Loaded Pockets

Although stun guns and pepper spray are good they are a bit bulky to carry daily (at least for me)

Just about any hard object is a weapon. Keys, butt of a multi tool, a durable pen.

And if you want something more dedicated I see on the forums one finger brass knuckles seem to be popular.

3. Kristina Cay

Kristina Cay Loaded Pockets

I carry pepper spray pretty much everywhere. I have a small cannister that fits in my pocket, and a larger one that clips on my backpack strap if I'm feeling particularly vulnerable I'll carry that.

4. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of ways to use a pistol non lethal if you are trained to do so. Personally I'd rather have a lethal option and not have to use it than a non lethal one and have be spitting in the wind.

theotherroche likes this.
  5. Denim_Chicken

I looked into the knuckles. I'm pretty sure they fall into an illegal category here in PA.

6. Denim_Chicken

My girlfriend carries one as well but she has a purse I'd just hate to cut down the rest of my EDC to fit something else if it's not completely necessary.

7. Denim_Chicken

Good point.

8. Denim_Chicken

Which is what I'm trying to figure out at the moment.

9. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

They are illegal in PA.

Denim_Chicken likes this.
  10. MillsHere

MillsHere Loaded Pockets

I totally forgot about the legalities.

Honestly the best thing to carry is a good set of self defense skills. Might sound funny but taking a class for self defense is one of the best things you can EDC. I haven't taken one yet but it's been in the back of my mind for a while.

But if your looking for gear, pepper spray is a good option if you're willing to carry. If not a decent tactical pen might be a consideration. Not sure about the legalities though.

11. Denim_Chicken

I think that's what it all boils down to with any of that kind of stuff.

12. NelsonIII
    • +1 Supporter

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Pepper spray I feel is necessary for force continuum.

So when you defend yourself, you can tell the police that verbal de-esculation didn't work, leaving didn't work, pepper spray didn't work and that's why you had to resort to lethal force. Situation permitting.

Holliday likes this.
  13. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Just a quick note - we need to clarify the term, it is more appropriate to say "less lethals" since many of the non-firearm weapons and devices can still be fatal.

14. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

Some aren't as privileged to live in states like MO. We can pretty much carry anything as long as we have our ccw permit. I'm sure in some states you can't carry a "tactial "pen. Most likely considered to be a "less lethal" so a good metal pen would be a good replacement. Brass knuckles are a no no in a lot of states. A roll of quarters on the other hand isnt. Self defense classes are great and situational awareness is key. In a parking lot? Break off a car antenna if possible. That's one hell of a weapon. There are many things that can be used as a weapon thst you can carry that isn't an actual weapon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

15. theotherroche

theotherroche Loaded Pockets

Exactly!

16. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

"Shooting to wound" is Hollywood fantasy. If that were a realistic option, police would just carry firearms, instead a belt full of devices for the use of force continuum...Baton, TASER, OC spray, etc, etc.

17. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

You may want to consider training in empty handed martial arts and go from there. Just carrying a defensive weapon is probably not enough. I find interesting the number of people that carry knives and guns but have no training in defensive application.

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

a) Yes, that is absolute LAST "thing" that I want to do as well. And if that's the last thing, I'm not going to waste my time with intermediary "things" such as pepper spray, stun gun, kubatons, and other such devices that would otherwise allow some miscreant to get that close to me. I'd rather place as much real estate between me and someone intent to do harm to me. That way I wouldn't need to carry all that other crap. If someone is indeed intent on doing me harm, they will need to close that gap between me and them. By that time, I would have drawn the longer-barreled handgun that I usually carry and use its inherent accuracy to facilitate the precise shot.

OR..... I could just place more distance between me and the bad element so that I don't NEED to do that "last thing."

Oh, I know someone is bound to reply with the following:
    "...you can't avoid everything"
    "...trouble will eventually find you"
    "...unless you live in a bubble.."

Well, I highly suspect that most of you posting on this forum have avoided most bad events. That's why you are still posting now. Otherwise you would be deceased; or apprehended, adjudicated, & incarcerated.

Truth is, once you've punched, kicked, stabbed, pepper sprayed, stunned, or shot someone to avoid trouble and have gotten saliva, snot, urine, feces, AND blood all over you; you long for a clean, peaceful existence.

Oh sure, arm yourself! I do!
    Go ahead and carry all that other crap. But do you REALLY wanna use them. Isn't walking or driving away from the trouble much more attractive and cleaner.

19. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I always carry a striking device in addition to a handgun. I have thought through various situations and feel having options is wise.

I occasionally carry OC spray, mostly for dog defense. I have little confidence in OC against human subjects. My experience is OC is effective on a continuum from worthless to dehabilitating dependent on the person. The rise of tasers and other ECDs in US law enforcement is because OC spray does not work in all cases.

Unless you train with it, regularly test/replace it and have some previous exposure to know how you will handle the likely cross contamination, OC spray is a very limited solution. I am not a big OC fan and think it is often a risky solution for most reactive defense uses.

My two cents...

Denim_Chicken likes this.
  20. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

The absolute best self-defense weapon is having your head and eyes up and on a swivel, being hyper aware of your surroundings. Most punks only mark the ones who are not aware. Off in their own little world. Proactively scanning your surroundings provides the opportunity to divert and go a different route, avoidance! I often get accused of being a cop because I am always drinking in my surroundings. Use your head and follow your gut instincts. Don't use your head and ignore the gut clench and no blade or firepower is going to be of much use to you anyway.

NelsonIII, Denim_Chicken and 0dBm like this.