1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-Lethal Pistols

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Mert, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Mert

Mert Empty Pockets

Hello,

I hope this is the right place for the topic...

I've seen some posts about how to use our EDC gear to stop an attacker without lethally hurting the person. Well, where I live even if you're in a self defense situation, moreover even a person is torturing you, if you kill him/her you go to prison. Looking for a solution I saw pepper guns. They fire small plastic balls filled with strong pepper dust which are proven to stop even the strongest evil attacker. Some professional ones fire up to 200 ft effectively! They are similar in size to a real gun and as reliable too (I've seen an exact Glock replica myself)...

Now, what do you think about carrying a non-lethal handgun? Are you carrying one? Have you ever used one in a real-life situation?

Mert

2. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I think that there certainly could be many perils in using anything that resembles a deadly weapon. Especially if you are using it in a situation that generally would not call for deadly force. What happens when the person you intend to use it against thinks its a gun, what if a passerby thinks its a gun, what if a Police Officer thinks its a gun. Context can be everything if violence is unfolding. I have no reservations about using less lethal options, oc spray or things like tasers... my only reservation is that it not easily be mistaken for a firearm. I would not use a pepper gun that looks like a Glock... no way.

I have used OC spray on a few occasions but never one that looked like a gun. My only experience is with a 2 oz high pressure can ( ballistic stream) delivery.

ps- I have used OC foam as well but was not impressed . The risk of area contamination did seem substantially diminished with the foam. It did not linger in the air or otherwise hinder the use of the space where it was used. In my estimation, it did require more foam to obtain the smame level of effect.

Last edited by Telstar, Oct 8, 2016
    Water-Rat likes this.
  3. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

+10

4. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

+1 the above

I'm also concerned about the logistics of carrying a waistband, CO2 powered, pepper ball gun

Paintball pistols and air pistols were never great at holding air over long periods.
    Would you have to load a new canister every day you carry?

Will you need to ask a criminal to pause while you pierce the seal on your CO2 canister.

Replacement canisters can add up financially and environmentally.

I've used OC spray on people with varying effects. I still carry it occassionally, but it will never be my primary carry option.

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Back up to a back up.

6. Renaldo

Renaldo Empty Pockets

Actual pepper spray would be a much better decision. Aside from everything mentioned already about carrying something that looks like a gun but isn't, there's a really good chance that your shots aren't actually going to burst the balls of pepper spray. Where do you live that you will go to prison for self defense?

7. Mert

Mert Empty Pockets

My home is in Istanbul, Turkey. Here, very strict laws are applied when it comes to weapons. It doesn't matter whether the attacker draws first, or he/she breaks into your house, tries to steal your car, purse or even threats/kidnaps your family. These only reduce your sentence. Taking a life is "bad" (you know what I mean) even if you are the victim. This is why I never carry a gun. The same reason applies to everyone so guns are rarely carried by masses, so to speak. I know what you'll say; "evil men" don't care and most carry unregistered guns, yes. Chances are you meet one in a conflict situation and come to a moment where you have to draw.

I watch and rewind and rewatch this scene in my mind many times every week. Yes I meet many stupid, angry, ignorant people everyday and I wand to stop them from doing stupid things and harm me/my family. I weighed almost every possible way to do so and ended up having a high end pepper gun. Here police use these and I should say they are "very" accurate and "very" effective.

The CO2 tubes last long. They are VERY cheap (1.5 - 2 USD). Ammo is not cheap but they sell "practice rounds" which are VERY cheap. The guns are solid, very few are police/military grade and not cheap but I think worth the price. Range differs but highest ends are upto 200ft as I mentioned before.

I am torn in between after reading negative comments. Dunno what to do actually.

Stutz likes this.
  8. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

those of us who live in places where we still have the right (and means) to defend ourselves should take heed of the message in this thread

Spyke likes this.
  9. LazerblazeR

LazerblazeR Empty Pockets

Can you elaborate on this comment for us, I'm not quite sure what message can be taken from this thread other than to not live in Istanbul.

Roger likes this.
  10. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

...........or California

sure, easy.....................
    Those of us that are fortunate enough to live in a place where we have the right and opportunity to have the means to defend ourselves and our families should never take that for granted.
    There may come a day in the near future when that will change that dramatically, and we may find ourselves in a situation where we will be relegated to sticks & bottles & pepper capsule guns to do so.
    I don't know where you're from (PDX?), but our rights (in the USA) are in a tenuous state at this time.

Spyke likes this.
  11. Mert

Mert Empty Pockets

kukla Means a lot and any informative comment is welcome.

LazerblazeR : If you come to visit Istanbul, well, you'll want to stay and live here!

There was a coup back in July if you remember. After the coup the government issued a State of Emergency (a force majeure). It became almost impossible to carry a gun or a knife for that matter. A few days ago private security took my Leatherman Surge while I was entering a shopping mall! (They give it back on exit but disturbing nevertheless)

There are no laws for a pepper gun and I don't wanna kill anyone. So that was my solution.

LazerblazeR : Maybe you're right. It is becoming more and more difficult to live in certain places on this Earth!

12. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

What about a Taser? Is that legal where you are?

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I don't know what the laws are in your country Mert, but in the USA if you point something that looks like a handgun at someone, that constitutes deadly force. If you're unable for legal reasons to use a firearm for defense I would urge you to avoid anything that could reasonably be mistaken for a firearm.

14. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Mert

Can you give us more informations on your needs? Is this for home use or are you looking for something when out in public?

I agree about what has already been said about carrying something that has a gun-like appearance, heed that very good advice. I'll put it this way, I have access to and can carry any conceivable OC option and I would never even consider carrying any kind of pepper gun. They are extremely flawed for self-defense.

If we have more info of your self-defense needs we can do a better job of offering up some advice. As it stands I would completely avoid using that product...especially based on the laws as you described them in Turkey.

Last edited by Holliday, Oct 12, 2016
  15. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Non-lethal handgun? Sounds like an oxymoron :)
    Either carry the real deal or don't carry at all. It could get you killed.

Spyke likes this.
  16. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

Pepperball guns work great, different rounds for different applications. HOWEVER, even when deployed when I was in Law Enforcement, we tried to have another Officer there with a deadly force option available. For what you are proposing to use in Turkey ( I was there in July) I do not think it is practical.

17. Mert

Mert Empty Pockets

Chris_1001: I think Taser's are legal. I've seen some brands of stun guns being sold here and there. You don't need to register them. Never seen a Taser though. I don't think there's a distributor here. But I don't think they are practical.

chaosmagnet: You're right... Here a lot of people buy and use blank-guns too, maybe for fun or perhaps to scare people. You don't need to register them but if you use them during a crime or point to a person and "do something" it is considered as if using a real gun. Of course if a police officer sees you doing that you'll be taken as an armed criminal and shot down.

Holliday: During the day I usually carry my laptop case with me. It is a good one too; GPS Tactical Briefcase with a CC section. I carried my gun a few days but as I mentioned before I don't want to carry it... I found some very good pepper guns and I'd like to carry one in my laptop bag ready to use at all times.

Shike: I feel you... But during the day a very large, stupid and ignorant taxi driver (no offense) can attack you with a baseball bat anytime. Not to mention a few pot headed beggars coming at you! Firing a low noise, fast and accurate pepper ball in 5 seconds would be so helpful IMO.

Thank you all for your replies.

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yes, I am trained in the use of this type of device. No, I cannot share details. Yes, I have used one in an actual confrontation and I have no use for this device.

A solid 37-inch long, 1.25-inch diameter hickory stick along with proper training and daily practice is better!

Shike and chaosmagnet like this.
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

A) Either you live in a California county where concealed handgun permits are not issued, had authorities thoroughly explain the rudiments of unlawful carry of a certain implement in an adjudicatory capacity directly to you, or have made a incorrect generalization about the State of California based on the drivel that is so readily available on the internet.
    I'm a Californian and all of those that I KNOW that reside in the same county as I AND have applied for a CCW permit have obtained it.

B) People have been saying this for decades. Not at all. We have checks and balances in our government that mitigates this. If you continue to feel the way you do, contact and articulate your position in a respectful manner to the public official that YOU elected to represent you. If you don't like where you live because of the erosion of certain rights that are important to you, move to another location.

Last edited by 0dBm, Oct 13, 2016
    DannyX and Shike like this.
  20. Mert

Mert Empty Pockets

Thank you for your reply... I understand and partly agree, but isn't a projectile that'll stop an attacker before he/she can "touch" you always a better alternative? And when it is not lethal, it keeps you away from a possible jail-end as well. Two birds, one stone IMO.

0dBm likes this.