1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-knife-related New York City thread?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kirbysdl, Oct 6, 2016.

1. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Hey folks, my wife and I are spending a long weekend in New York and would love any tips, recommendations, etc. I already know to not take knives, but any other thoughts, EDC and otherwise? For example:

• Are pickpocketers an issue?
    • How out of place are manbags? I have a Maxpud Jumbo. Would that get me unwanted LEO attention (would a photo/camera backpack be any better)?
    • Anything else to definitely take or definitely leave at home?
    • Any recommended attractions or restaurants besides the obvious (especially "local favorite" hole in the wall restaurants)?
    • Will eating hot dogs from a street cart literally kills us (search for "stephen colbert street meat")?
    TIA!

Last edited by kirbysdl, Oct 6, 2016
  2. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

If eating dogs and gyros from the carts would kill you I wouldnt be here..
    Wear your comfortable shoes and travel light.
    Get the one day HOHO sightseeing double decker bus pass..

BklynBoy and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Any preferred gyro/hotdog locations, or are they all about the same? Similarly, any recommendations for the bus tours? I see lots of "Gray Line" buses when I search online. Maybe the many locations to buy tickets are just Gray Line resellers instead of running their own bus fleet?

4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

If you are worried about eating from a hot dog cart, carry some Immodium. My son needed that on our last trip to NYC. He was the only one from the group to need a dose.

Carry a USB power bank to extend you traveling day.

kikaida likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd say if you do want to carry a bag of some kind, carry a generic backpack; I'd not suggest anything looking too tactical. Lower cost bags don't call so much attention to themselves. Also you need to realize that some venues (e.g. some museums) will insist you check in the bag. So try not to leave much valuable in a bag...!

wrt pickpockets. Anywhere in the world you are in crowds, you need to accept there will be some of those folks around. So try to find a way to carry a more minimal wallet and to carry it in a front pocket, not a back pocket and I'd even say not in a jacket pocket (neither slash hand pocket or inside breast pocket). I make a point when I'm in places like NYC to carry a smaller than usual wallet, not as many cards or cash, and carry it front jeans pockets that are harder for someone to slip their hand into.

As far as restaurants etc. Which part of NY to plan to spend your time in? Manhattan has varied 'neighborhoods'. Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are essentially cities unto themselves with varied neighborhoods. Not so much for street vendors, but restaurants in general -- in addition to reviews, you can always look for the posted sanitation inspection signs on restaurants. "A" rating is what you want to see. "B" may be ok; lower than that? I'd avoid.

As an example, some folks when visiting NY feel they should go to Chinatown. Or Little Italy. All well and good. But the ones in Manhattan in many ways pale compared to places in the other boroughs. Flushing for example has developed a very diversifed Asian community (Chinese from Mainland China, Taiwan, HK, etc; Vietnamese; Koreans; Malaysians; Thai; to name the most prominent).

If you want to hit famous delis absolutely in Manhattan: Stage Deli or even better Katz Deli. Both are amazingly delicious!

SO if you have not yet done so I'd suggest getting a good tour book; Lonely Planet or the like.

Also very useful -- if you have a smartphone, install an app that will help you to navigate public transit (buses and subway). Don't plan to use paper maps. Often the booths that sell tokens are stock out of these things; plus wandering around with your head buried in a paper map is a dead giveaway that you are lost tourists. The apps are very good. Can't tell you which one(s) though; sorry about that. I strangely enough don't use a smartphone and hence don't use the apps. But I've been with friends who do and these things are great!

Good luck and watch your backs!

Moshe ben David

6. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

First off, about backpacks: You are not on safari, you are not in a 3rd World City and you don't need to carry more than you can comfortably fit in your pockets. Ok, maybe a camera bag. Want to seriously “annoy” New Yorkers? Walk around with a backpack. You can try stopping on street corners and standing so that you and your backpack block more than what we consider your share of the sidewalk You can also hit people with it getting on and off buses and take up 2 seats with it on the subway. We love tourists who do that! And, yes, we do carry backpacks sometimes, but we know how to negotiate our way around with them.

As to street food: we all have out favorites. I have a great lamb gyro a couple of times a week that rivals anything I ever tasted in the markets of Greece. There is only one stand in my neighborhood that turns out anything this good. There are some other vendors who also turn out world class tacos, kabobs and similar ethnic delights.. You will not find them.

As to pickpockets and similar vermin: yeah, we got 'em. But the biggest source of income for these folks is not actually picking pockets, it is picking up bags, cameras and backpacks that tourists hang off the back of chairs or set on empty seats at restaurants.

There are no real deli's left in Manhattan. Katz's, the Stage and the soon-to-close Carnegie are living on reputations made decades ago. But we occasionally do pause to wonder at the sight of tourists lining up (sometimes for for hours) to pay $35+ for a pastrami sandwich at the Carnegie. Keep spending those bucks!

Finally, for less than the cost of one “tour bus” ticket, you can buy an unlimited 1 week Metro Card that will get you on all subways and local buses. That's one full week, 24 hours a day, all over the 5 boroughs.

7. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Amen and +1 !
    Try a Luger sandwich worth it !

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

One of the best reasons to visit NYC

malraux72 likes this.
  9. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

+1 on dirty water dogs, love that "stuff"

Bring 2 wallets, normal one in front pocket, disposable with small amount of cash in rear. More than likely pointless, but good practice anyway.

10. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

+1 on dirty water dogs, love that "stuff"

Bring 2 wallets, normal one in front pocket, disposable with small amount of cash in rear. More than likely pointless, but good practice anyway.

11. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th or hot dog from Papaya King in St Mark's. Great after a few drinks. Don't act like a tourist and especially don't make eye contact on the subway unless you want to be asked :censored: you looking at

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

I liked eating slices of pizza when in Manhattan.
    The app we used was Citymapper which has offline maps.
    I used my black Kifaru Molle Express which was big enough for two people's worth of water/jackets/shopping and can be cinched flatter. No one seemed to care.
    HOHO tours were good to great depending on the guy/girl doing the talking, and most people were very friendly.
    I have to say though, tipping is the dumbest system ever!
    We loved NYC, can't wait to go again.

13. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

Another place that is making it off a reputation made generations earlier. Really. Original place on 86th Street had 2 dogs and a papaya drink for $1.25! Current prices at both places are (IMHO) a complete ripoff and may drive customers to drink!

So, OK, here is one genuine New Yorker's hot dog tip: Look for food carts that actually are grilling the dogs - not boiling them. They aren't as common -probably because the cooking process is more 'labor intensive ' especially during lunch rush when time is money for a vendor - and you may pay an extra .50 or so, but the search is (usually) worth it! Enjoy!

nursetim 40, garza and malraux72 like this.
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Carry a flashlight. Lose the mall ninja bag. Papaya dogs are better grilled. Try a kinish.

15. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

knish. also, with much regret, an almost lost food. horrors sold off carts- kind of square, odd potato-ish filling wrapped in corse, greasy dough - are an abomination. still a few places that make traditional ones. potato or kash filling only. no fruit, other veggies or meat. they are hidden away in brooklyn. you will probably never find one, but the search- if successful would be worth it! - could be an interesting adventure. or not.

16. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Totally agree about the grilled hot dogs.

17. Moshe ben David

Other than business trips or family events, truth be told there are absolutely NO good reasons to visit NYC. Unless you enjoy the arrogance of New York residents and the stress of congested run down big cities. Especially those which have incomprehensible street signs of all genres.

Moshe ben David

neo71665 likes this.
  18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I did say live there. A leisurely visit while staying outside the city is okay.

19. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Nonsense. Experiencing different cultures is always worth doing.

Might as well say there are no good reasons to go camping unless you like boredom and inconvenience.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

Gogogordy, kikaida and malraux72 like this.
  20. Moshe ben David

:nah_disagree: