1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-insulated boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Montetobuso, May 20, 2013.

1. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

I really want some non-insulated, waterproof and breathable boots for EDC and hiking. I hate to buy 8 different boots for every situation, climate and season ther is. Preveously, I used to buy the same boots as was issued to the Norwegian armed forces, but i do not want to do that again. The reason why I bought them in the first place was on account of them beeing un-insulated (I am a grown man, and now when to wear thick wollen socks) and supposedly durable. I find them not so durable (I have to mention at this point that I can "eat through" a good pair of shoes in 3-4 months), and they are not breathing at all (all leather). I hvae found, bought and used excelent boots with both real Goretex (I would put tm here if I new how to put it right :)) and other breathable membranes, but they have all been insulated and too warm to wear in summertime. I want to controll my own temperature, and I want durable, waterproof, breathing boots, for all four seasons. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. zombieslayer001

Adidas has a new version of the gsg9.

3. Montetobuso

They looked butt-ugly, but as long as they work, I'm pleased. Thanks for the tip! Have you tried them your self? I hope theyr not to warm

4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

I wish such a shoe existed but unfortunately it's a game of tradeoffs. Jungle boots and other hot weather types are breathable and wearable even in tropical summers, but not remotely waterproof. Goretex is allegedly breathable and waterproof but you can damage the membrane and as you've found they get pretty hot in summer. Straight leather is technically breathable if you care for it but less so when waterproofed and still pretty warm.

Justinicus and graveyard like this.
  5. zombieslayer001

Danner kinetic, Melee?

6. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

Danner Mountain Light or Mountain Trail. I have the Left Bank Mountain Trail, most comfortable boot I've ever worn, winter and summer. Leather lined, Horween Chromexcel outers, re-craftable.

7. Montetobuso

I will check out the Danner's some more, looked really interesting..

8. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

I picked up some Danner Army Kinetic's at a screaming deal a little while ago. They've been great so far, looking to pick up a pair of rebuildable boots from them too. Danner/LaCrosse have a factory seconds site that has some great deals occasionally. Hitthebreakroom.com

9. xnyne

xnyne Loaded Pockets

Don't know if these are up your alley but I picked up some Salomon Quest 4 boots a few weeks ago. Fully waterproof and light. On a warmish day no complaints but haven't had them through a full summer
    [​IMG]

microbe, kennedjt and Montetobuso like this.
  10. Montetobuso

These looks really interesting

11. Muse

Muse Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing Vasque Breeze GTX boots for 2 yrs. They are hot in the summer and I have to wear thinner socks, but they have worked pretty good so far. No major issues and only blistered once. (Grand Canyon last spring.)
    ~250 trail miles and randomly worn around town. Probably stool good for another year at this rate.
    *Warning: This boot has a narrow footbox. If you have wide feet, look at another boot.

Montetobuso likes this.
  12. Montetobuso

Thank you for saying that, I'm sure these boots are excellent, but as I actually have wide feet, I'm glad you told me! Nothing would be worse than buying someones favorite boots just to find out they don't fit your feet.

13. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

Before I switched entirely to barefoot shoes and boots, I loved my waterproof Meindls, sold by Cabelas. I have the insulated 10" hunters and the shorter Light Hikers. Great boots.

14. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth, I have 4E boots, and following the Cabelas size chart and ordering wide gave me a perfect fit.

15. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

(4E feet. Darn brain.)

16. Montetobuso

Here comes a very late update. I haven't found anything matching what I wanted in my first posting in this thread, and have come to the conclusion that Shadowex3 is right; there will always be a trade off. I went for three-season boots, and since I want them to be very sturdy and durable, real quality leather is the way to go. I'v also found out that leather breathes much better than leather + membrane, and will be waterproof enough when treated right, at least for my purposes.

I got these boots as a combination christmas/birthday present from my parents (I'm very lucky!).
    [​IMG]

They are Red Wing Beckman Round (in Cigar Featherstone color), and I have already fallen totally in love with them. They'r a pain in the lower part of my back to break in (in the beginning the opening is really narrow, so just putting them on requires a lot of effort), but researching them on the web assures me it's worth it since they will last me 15+ years. If/when they get damaged or worn I can always bring them to the cobbler and even have them resoled (unlike most modern shoes). You gotta love goodyear welted shoes! The boots them selves really feels like quality. I will probably change the laces that came with them pretty soon tough, they are VERY sturdy, but as they are made of what looks like heavy waxed cotton, they have so much friction they are quite a hassle to tighten.

TheKojack and microbe like this.
  17. kennedjt

kennedjt Loaded Pockets

I can personally vouch for these boots. I wore them on a 9 day 77 mile backpacking trip through the mountains of northern New Mexico (Philmont Scout Ranch ) and had no foot problems whatsoever. They stayed waterproof and comfortable to wear in the summer and were easy to break in. I have also worn them on multiple other trips but Philmont was the longest continuous test.

18. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found most Goretex is good for the first 6 months. From then on waterproofing goes downhill. The Goretex boots /shoes I own are 3 season, as for summer they are just too hot to wear. I have some leather boots on my wishlist, but since they are winter (Spanish winter) only, I have not pulled the trigger on them.

Montetobuso likes this.
  19. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Look into Alt Berg -- worth the cost of importing, trust me! The Warrior model is an incredible feat (feet, lol) of boot design. I live in their Veldthogs through the winter, but I could easily use my warriors year-round.

20. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

That is a very nice boot. Good choice.

Montetobuso likes this.