1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-electric sharpener

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by SkepticalTactical, Jun 6, 2016.

1. SkepticalTactical

SkepticalTactical Empty Pockets

Hello!

I have been searching for a sharpener like the Edge Pro Apex, the only reason I don't just go and buy the EPA is because of money.

I have the Work Sharp (original) but I hate the fact that it doesn't have the ability to get a mirror edge.

If you have any kind of manual sharpening system and a guide on how to get a wicked edge, let me now down below.

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like, systems based on angled rods, very easy to get right for beginners (like me).
    my faves:

Spyderco sharpmaker (expensive, but lots of options, maybe THE most popular sharpening system in this community)
    [​IMG]
    Lansky, turn a-box (limited in angels and rods, but gets the job done very well if you are on a budget, It just got my esee 4 from completly dull to shaving the hairs off my arm)
    [​IMG]

For the perfect edge you should get a leather strop as well.

Nick4305 and SkepticalTactical like this.
  3. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

+1 for the sharpmaker and strop, although sharpmaker is a bit of a misnomer. You have to have a fairly clean apex to begin with for the system to reach its full potential. The triangle diamond rods are a great addition and will allow you to reprofile dull edges. Once you have them established though, the sm and strop will be all you need to maintain an extremely sharp edge.

My personal set up is to reprofile the primary bevel with the dt magnaguide system when needed, then set and maintain a micro bevel with the sm and strop. I try to strop after use to keep honing on the sm and reprofiling to a minimum.

The lansky Turnbox also works very well with the same caveats as the sm. The only downside is the round rods don't allow you to sharpen all the way to the ricasso.

SkepticalTactical likes this.
  4. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

I can get a mirror finish with the sharpmaker no without problem :confused:
    Long term solution: I recommend getting a higher grid waterstone (6-10k) and polish with that after the worksharp
    Short term: fake EPA, it will work longer but not as great since the stones will clog up

SkepticalTactical likes this.
  5. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

If you want razor sharp polished edges nothing beats waterstones and several strops.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I love my sharpmaker and yes you can get a polished edge, but not for every steel and/or every knife geometry. Try polishing a true full scandi on a sharpmaker, even if the angle happens to be spot on (which it wont) you'll still have a darned hard time getting an even polish on it. For those kinds of situations free-handing on good stone is a great skill to have, or get a nice fixed angle system like the Edge pro or Wicked edge.

But even if you have one of those fancy fixed angle systems (i have one of those Edge Pro clones) the sharpmaker is still a great thing to have as its just so darned easy and quick to use and it complements more fancy sharpening systems brilliantly! If you reprofile kitchen knives just under the sharpmakers angles at like a 37-38 (or 27-28 for fine knives) degree angle then its sooo easy to touch that knife up with the white stones! Thats why i will always recommend the sharpmaker, even if you move on to greater things its still a good quality useful sharpener to have!