1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No tears travel knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tru7h, Feb 4, 2016.

1. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Entrepreneurial opportunity appearing on forward screen, Captain! :cool: Triple points if the airport lets you sell bullets!

2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't even go up to $25, I'd buy that Walmart knife that was posted a while back and go with it. Those SOB's don't need anymore nice knives.

garza likes this.
  3. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Option 1. Go on a popular auction site, buy a bunch of decent SAK previously confiscated by the over worked, underpaid, politically compromised and largely ineffectual govt agancy known as the TSA. Get a dozen Climbers. That should last you for a bit.

Option 2. OPINEL. They are so cheap, most wont steal, not tacticool to arouse interest, light and a great bang 4da buck. One of my favorite knives of all price ranges.

Option 3. Byrd or SRM or Navy or Enlan... You can't go wrong. For about $20 you can get a really strong and capable blade.

I always gift my knives going back home. It's a nice cycle. Usually to a cab driver or hotel employee. There is probably a concierge in FLA that gets a dozen OPINEL a week for all I know!

Inner Prop likes this.
  4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Most states have auctions for the confiscated knives that the TSA agents don't keep. Most SAK's sale in lots for less than $2 per piece at the auction I attended. Headlight polish cleaner and very fine sandpaper will clean up most SAK's.

5. buck268

buck268 Loaded Pockets

Spyderxo tenacious or persistence which ever is the small version. Used to be about $30, probably more now.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

6. TweezersAndAToothpick

TweezersAndAToothpick Loaded Pockets

Victornox Tinker hands down. Around $18 and has everything you need on a day to day basis.

7. jpolaski

jpolaski Banned

Look up Christy knives. $20, been around forever, and replaceable blades!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd think a hobby type Xacto would work. Handle is about like a pen; simple collar holds blade in place. I've just checked Amazon and they have an array of options ranging from blister packs with a single blade to kits with multiple blades in either wooden box or zippered pouch. Depending on what you want, you can get something ranging from ~$5 up into the +$20 range. No, you won't be able to carry on board a plane but that holds true for any sharp.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. GearGuy69

GearGuy69 Loaded Pockets

I'm getting a buck bantam today :D

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The form factor for front pocket carry is too bulky or heavy for an Xacto type knife as well as as other utility blade knives. A wide variety of stores carry utility blades which meets all my cutting needs when I travel for work. The US should adopt the EU rules on small knives. Senators like Chuck Schumer rallied unnecessary opposition.

My preferred carry for travel would be a small scalpel knife with no tool required for changing the blade.

11. Moshe ben David

I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. Xacto knives are the size of a ball point pen. With similar shape (without blade installed). No tools are used to change the blade. The collar is really a threaded collet. Just takes fingers to turn. It could be carried in a shirt pocket in other words, without blade installed. One or more blades if not installed are flat, smaller by far than a utility razor blade, and would fit in a wallet. I think in fact that Xacto were developed as a hobbyist version of a scalpel with a replaceable blade!

I won't beat the dead horse further. All the best and happy trails!

Moshe ben David

12. CEC(SCW)

CEC(SCW) Loaded Pockets

I have 2 Amazon finds that I consider to be my no tears travel knives.
    1. Boker Magnum
    2. Kershaw/Emerson CQC 5K

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

A Havalon scalpel knife is a folding knife with no tools to remove the scalpel blade. I am looking for a similar but smaller scalpel knife. I own a Havalon which I use when camping. A couple of smaller scalpel knives are in the market but require an allen wrench or screwdriver for blade removal. I have been in contact with 2 manufacturers that are working on a smaller folding or retractable scalpel knife which doesn't require a tool for blade removal.

See the video for the easy scalpel blade removal at havalon.com No tool is required

14. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

This guy hands down for me. It's $25 shipped and one heck of a knife.
    [​IMG]
    Ontario RAT-1

15. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

CRKT Drifter, not a nicer knife made for the $. Regular size is $20 and large is $23 on a popular public auction site.

16. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

kershaw shuffle?

17. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

+1 for either the Ozark Trail (if it comes up missing you're only out $4 and found at any Walmart) or the least expensive Swiss Army (no threatening look), that has a saw.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

Why even lose a knife? If you are that forgetful and find yourself losing knives at tsa, carry a usps envelope with a bunch of postage on it in your carry on just in case. Use forever stamps. If they want to take your knife and you can't put it in a checked bag, mail it back home. Ive done that once. Put my SAK in a padded envelope and asked the airline counter girl to drop it in the mail for me. I've even gone so far as hiding the knife somewhere in the terminal and picking it up when I got back from my trip. I taped it to the bottom of a chair with some duct tape piece I keep in my carry on. Hehe.

Last edited by pointoflight, Feb 11, 2016
  19. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Leatherman ps4. Super cheap, very useful.

20. Moshe ben David

Not so sure I'd try the approach of taping a knife -- or anything else for that matter to the bottom of a chair in a place like an airport. Certainly there's always a risk that the chair is moved by cleaners, due to some special display, etc etc etc. More of a concern given it is an airport is that someone observing you will take to heart the '... see something say something...' and next thing you know you're talking to one or more members of the security team... Just sayin', that's all!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Adahn and Mumbojumboo like this.