1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No Luv For SOG's?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Elmiro Dungfoot, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I like a number of the past SOG blades: Tomcat, Fatcat, and the Vulcan. Supposedly, in July; they are going to release the 'XR SEAL' folder, which looks interesting.

You can see more about it here at Blade Show 2019:

[​IMG]

garza, That Movie Guy and cliffb599 like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

My main complaint with SOG knives are: 1) they are simply too heavy, and 2) they use lower quality materials. SOG also tends to gravitate toward thumb studs and assisted opening, neither of which I like.

On the other side of the coin, though, I really did like their old Pentagon Elite folder, and I'm glad to see that they are trying a thumb hole flipper.

ramjet likes this.
  3. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I love my Architech - with that beautiful mirror polished Seki City blade in VG-10 (not a top steel but takes a keen edge off my WickedEdge). My FatCat is a bit too large (murdery) to EDC but it's a beast of a knife. Will check out the coming XR Seal to see what it's all about.

4. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

I do not do that crap 3crMOV13 whatever!!!
    It’s GOT to have good steel. The rest just makes them look and feel gimmicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose likes this.
  5. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Moose likes this.
  6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

They're too mall ninja.

Most of us need a knife to open things, maybe cut some fruit on a hike.

Not smash through windows and kill zombies.

I feel like they market towards 13 year olds with fantasies of hurting someone.

7. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

Other than the odd exception. This :rolleyes:

ramjet likes this.
  8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've not been impressed with any of their UK legal slip joint offerings, Spyderco and a few others seem to be streets ahead in that department.

Moose, Moshe ben David and ramjet like this.
  9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have a couple older SOG Field Pup knives that are good for what they are. With the same money and need today I'd be more likely to buy a Mora instead (and have some change).

The SOG Poweraccess Deluxe I bought on a whim to compare it to my stable of Leathermans didn't do anything for me, and I ended up giving it away. It's not a bad tool, but it isn't great either. I still have a Powerlitre bought in no small part because of its excellent corkscrew attachment -- it's my default multitool for hosting or going to a party (and yes, people who know me at parties ask me for help with tasks that require a multitool, constantly). It fits very neatly in the fifth pocket of my jeans.

10. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I carry a sog fielder my son got me some years back for some holiday. If it wasn't for the fact he gave it to me I wouldn't carry it. It hasn't been a bad knife I just think it's heavier than it needs to be and I normally don't like tip down pocket carry. It holds an ok edge. For a $20 knife IMHO it's way better than some.

11. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

SOG is very proud of itself. Knock down the self aggrandizement on their products and they might be okay.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

I have a love-hate relationship with SOG. The first SOG knife I ever owned was the Government model bowie I received from a friend in a trade back in 1995. Back then, the fixed blade knives from SOG were manufactured in Seki City Japan. To this day it's my go to camping knife, 440A Stainless and holds a decent edge. Have a weekend camping trip planned for next month and it's going with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 4 years ago I purchased a Seal OPS fixed blade with the mistaken belief it would have similar quality to the Government.
    I was wrong. Crappy steel, dull out of the box and uncomfortable to use. The jimping on the back of the blade is so aggressive it WILL cut your thumb. It stays in it's sheath because I don't think it's worth selling. I'd feel bad for the person who bought it.

[​IMG]

Elmiro Dungfoot and chaosmagnet like this.
  13. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I feel the same way DS. Here's a friend I've had in the 'line-up' since the late-80's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keycutter likes this.
  14. FilthyJ24

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

The mini Aegis was one of my first "nice" knives and what I would consider to be a gateway drug. I bought it when I was in high school, circa 2008. Before that I had never spent more than $20 on a knife from Walmart or a gas station *shutters* I bought the mini Aegis because I had just discovered this little known (at the time) YouTuber called nutnfancy and he did a glowing review on the knife. It was also one of my first purchases on Amazon.

Thinking back it was pretty "tacticool" and "operator" but I thought it was the bee's knees...until I bought a mini grip, then a 707, then a ZT 0350, and down the rabbit hole I went. Sog and Benchmade will always hold a special place in my knife heart, but the only Sog I would currently spend my money on would be the Pillar. I've teetered on buying one as a truck knife since it was released but have never pulled the trigger.

Moshe ben David and Lateck like this.