1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No luck with my ferro rod today

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by JP, Feb 21, 2015.

1. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I spent about 15 minutes trying to get a fire going with my Mora Light my Fire kit. No luck today. All the other fires this winter I have started with only a few strikes from the ferro rod. I don't know why it wouldn't go. I just didn't have the touch today. If I kept at it I maybe, however one flick of the Bic got'er goin. It was silly how easy the lighter sent everything up in flames compared to my ferro rod efforts.

Anybody else have similar stories?

ManVsLawn, Cobra 6 Actual and cheeser like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nothing beats a Bick. And diesel.

3. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Usually when I fail with the ferro rod it's because I've rushed and haven't prepared the tinder properly

ManVsLawn, Cobra 6 Actual and JP like this.
  4. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

I have only recently bought a Ferro Rod and haven't had a chance to use it, sounds like I should be practicing.

CSM-101 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

It's all about prep and tinder.

6. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Yep, I agree that the fault is in the user and not the gear. Glad to have the lighter with me though. I'm thinking of making up some lint and beeswax cubes to use as tinder. Just shave a bit off the block and see how she goes.

7. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too. I'm such a pyro I get kind of offended at the idea I'd have trouble starting a fire :giggle:
    ... but that's a dangerous attitude. I'm planning on doing a lot of firebuilding exercises this
    year with ferro rods, maybe even try a bow drill for the first time. :frantic:

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  8. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

A technique I like to use is to scrape the wood with the back of my knife to make small wood shavings/dust and then strike the ferro rod like a maniac, usually works :D I work with wood too so when I sand, I can keep the wood dust, lights like crazy. But I only use it for fun or when I don't have a lighter around

ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  9. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking my fire lighting skills may have deteriorated over the years. Back when I was cutting timber we doused the wood with chainsaw gas and threw a match on it. The success rate was pretty high. Now that I'm working with a ferro rod and tinder the results aren't as certain or as spectacular.

10. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl: When I was a kid Dad did the same thing when we were camping. He carried a gallon of kerosene
    just for fires... his attitude was "I don't want to wait, I want a fire NOW." :rofl::rofl:

11. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Did the bow drill in Grade 8 for a project. I don't think the teacher expected us to figure out the bow part. He stopped us before the fire started but we did fill the classroom with smoke. :D

12. meds081603
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

meds081603 Loaded Pockets

love these. I use eggs crates. Fill the pockets with lint and fill with wax. Break into 12 handy cubes.

13. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

When we teach fire building and starting at scouts each year, we have everyone try the bow, and no one ever gets close. I got it once while demoing it, but we don't have enough usually. One year I hid a small ferro rod in my hand and struck it with a piece of broken glass, which worked pretty well.
    My most recent difficult fire tool is a Fire Piston. Really need to smash the thing as hard as I can to get it to compress.

14. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a recent convert to Jute twine, I've been sticking that stuff EVERYWHERE. I also just read about cutting it into short lengths and dipping
    it in paraffin wax, but I haven't done this yet as I need to make a double boiler to melt it.

ManVsLawn, thePlumbah and Brtsmpsn like this.
  15. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I had the same problem with my light my fire mora last time I went camping. The problem was that I could not find any dry tinder. Nothing caught on fire. It was a user issue, not the product though

16. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

We had some good dry moss and other stuff we foraged from the woods. It worked slick.

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Devils advocate here:wavespin:The OP didn''t say there was anything wrong with the ferro rod, but there was discussion a couple of years ago about the effects of salt water on them,(IIRC that was the reason that was coemm to a concensus on) so I know there are times when a ferro rod may not work.

swany66675, ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  18. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Seems like I just read somewhere that saltwater would corrode them, but you could scrape it
    off and they would still work.

Also, someone on here tied one into his bootlaces and wore it that way for a year maybe?
    I think he said he cleaned it up and it worked fine.

ManVsLawn, Brtsmpsn and thePlumbah like this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I guess it depends on if you can clean it up. I think with a large enough rood, most any of us would eventually get a fire going.

Personally, I don't think I carry any tender anymore. I've never heard anyone mention it,but the gauze in my FAK is basically cotton flattened, so that shold work. Plus, I think its a very remote possibility that I would need to start a fire in my day to day life...much less of a possibilty that I couldn't make tender out of something on hand.
    Howwever, in the event that I'm on walkabout somewhere you can bet I'd be sticking sopmething somewhere in my pack.

Wait a minute...I think I do have a 35mm film canister of wax/cotten balls in a small emergecy kit in my bag...

...so, yea...nevermind:rolleyes:

20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101, I tried to look for it but after searching all of the keywords I could remember I gave up:blink:

ManVsLawn, Brtsmpsn and CSM-101 like this.