1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No love for BDU coats/shirts?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Akilae, May 11, 2013.

1. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

I've noticed that most people rave about BDU pants, but for some reason BDU coats/shirts seem to be entirely absent from any sort of serious discussion.

A while back I was thinking about a light jacket for those times when my all-nylon 5.11 packable jacket is just too stuffy, and BDU coats as a light outerwear seemed to be promising.

Anybody have any experience with BDU coats they would like to share?

2. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

If you're talking about the blouse that's part of the uniform, it would depend. There's two different weights of it, a summer weight and a winter weight. The winter weight might do okay for a cool spring/fall evening. They're not as comfy as a light jacket would be, but they're comfortable enough to wear. I've worn one of my old BDU blouses as a work jacket more than once when I knew I would warm up quickly from moving around.

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Personally, I think they are a great budget work shirt/light jacket.

The only real drawback is that, unlike BDU pants, which seem like they sort of can fit in most of the time most anywhere, the blouses look out of place nearly everywhere. As an example, a guy with some sort of camo pants wandering around the Home Depot wouldn't raise an eyebrow, but the same dude in just the blouse would seem out of place I imagine.

kikaida likes this.
  4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have an old surplus BDU shirt with the sleeves cut off as my hunting vest... I love it as a hunting vest, but it's a bit tattered and faded for anywhere but the woods.

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to wear one years ago and I'm debating picking up another one for a light summer style jacket.

You can get BDU style 4-pocket coats in plain colors. The newest style is patterned on the ACU - I think they call it "TAC.U" or somesuch.

6. zombieslayer001

Last edited by zombieslayer001, May 20, 2013
  7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hope I don't derail too much here, but: I'm debating a BDU style jacket as a light spring/summer coat. My only concern is the impact in a professional setting. It's great tech wear, but can be eye-brow raising to non-techs who only see the "paramilitary" style.

I was debating looking at something similar, but more generic: The Carhartt Edlin jacket.

8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

True enough. Honestly, each to their own, but most of the traditional camo patterns just seem out of place in an urban environment.

ATB,
    Sam

kikaida likes this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

This has come up before in "Grayman" context - but depending on where you are, seeing somebody walk by in camo pattern isn't especially unusual. Worn out, cut off woodland camo shorts. I've seen a couple of kids downtown in BDU, 4-pocket jackets.

Last night, I saw somebody's grandmother in UCP pattern pants.

I think the only time you're going to raise eyebrows is if you're wearing either a mis-matched set, or a complete set. And even then, if you're near a military base, maybe not so much.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Now I admit, that said, I wouldn't walk into a professional office wearing a woodland pattern BDU outfit. Especially not if I have to work there. ;)

11. Sharpshooter11000

Sharpshooter11000 Loaded Pockets

I have a Brit Parachute jacket, but I'd never wear it anywhere but the woods, over here in Northern Ireland it's not looked at normally if you're walking around in BDUs (after the Troubles and all)... Though part of the reason is that it's too big for me and I look like an idiot anyway in it ;)
    Though it is a great coat for the woods!

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

Only if you're north of the Mason-Dixon line. You can get away with wearing camo clothing anywhere people know how to properly pronounce "Ya'll".

13. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

One of the things I was considering was going with black/grey, instead of the usual woodland/desert pattern BDU blouses/coats.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  14. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I agree with Shadowex3. Two related points:

1. Depends where you live. I'm near Quantico, VA. I see lots of MARPAT, but also lots of other types of camo. Nobody seems to particularly care.

2. Wear what's comfortable for you, physically and socially. I'm a retired LEO and I often wear a chocolate brown BDU jacket commonly worn by deputies in this area. Another BDU jacket I have a bunch of is the coyote tan color. I wear these whenever it's a little crisp out. Great jacket for that purpose.

As an aside, these jackets are excellent to wear with a concealed weapon as they are cut 'comfortably' loose. YMMV.

CSM-101 likes this.
  15. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Lots of love here for the BDU jacket, I wore one every day for the last three years of high school. Still have that patch jacket, I was kinda famous for it.
    Dad made a hybrid by sewing buttons into the summer BDU and adding a M65 jacket liner to it, which he still wears. The woodland pattern BDU is pretty common around here.

Omega Man and Echo2 like this.
  16. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

I have an old DPM smock that gets worn in the woods and on scout activities. It's too big and heavy to be an EDC jacket, but it is more or less indestructible. In fact, a quick bit of googling reveals it is more than likely to be a para smock. There's a bit of history in it, as it came from my uncle, an officer in the RJAF.

17. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

and effective....:)

18. Exile72

Exile72 Loaded Pockets

Grey man all the way

TJF likes this.
  19. Gr3G

Gr3G Loaded Pockets

I got a S&W branded BDU style coat its pretty cool, rock solid contruction

20. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

San Diego no one will really care. Even in Berkley you see mouth breathers protesting military action wearing BDU's. I don't get it. If you don't look the part, don't worry, no one will think you're some prep God with lots of supplies or that you're part of the green face club. However if you're a military aged male who walks with a purpose, slightly or well built with short copped hair in a full BDU get up then depending on WHERE you are you'll stick out. From personal experience the only ones who pick up on it anyway are guys who are keyed in on stuff like that. Military, cops, and bad guys. Your demeanor and the way you move gives you away more than your clothes will. BDU tops always felt not not matter what the type to me.

Personally I'd prefer a shirt cut one size larger than my normal size that looks somewhat decent in a city setting and won't get me kicked out of nicer restaurants when the person I'm meeting for the day wants to eat like a somebody. Something comfortable, hides goodies, and doesn't scream "armed man".

Epilektos likes this.