1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No keychain accessories on CAR keys.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Don H, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Don H

Don H Empty Pockets

I don't agree with having anything on my car keys as the additional weight has been known to put unnecessary strain on the ignition and causes contact problems down the line. I therefore have my car keys seperate from my other keys.

What do you guys think?

2. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

I have heard that was nothing more than urban legend....I've had plenty of gadgets on my keychains for 20+ years and never had an ignition go haywire on me....

3. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

I don't know it's possible but all I keep on my carkeys is a res-q-me.

4. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Not sure if it is urban myth or not, I've certainly heard it from mechanics. This has been discussed a few times here. This thread has some good discussion on the topic. Many people use two keychains, one for keys and another for tools. Another common solution is to attach your keys to the keychain with a removable clip so that they can be separated from the tools while in the ignition.

5. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

My daily driver is 9 years old and has 175,000 miles. I have always had 6-8 keys on my keychain, making it heavy and have never had a problem with my ignition.

6. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

6-8 keys is not heavy.

Now a knife, flashlight, coin purse, mini-picture frame, and 14 splitrings all hanging on a 3 inch carabiner, is heavy.

Plus some of the stress isn't as much from the weight as it is from the swinging when this stuff hangs low. Imagine the constant miniscule movement of the key in the ignition as the other stuff swings back and forth. It would be like polishing a stone in a tumbler.

7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard it, too. No big deal for me, since we have always kept the car key separate from any other keys. The only thing hanging from the car key is a Nite tritium fob, but that's so light it shouldn't do any harm.

8. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

I think some cars are more susceptible than others to ignition damage from a heavy keychain.

As for me, I keep my keys on a tiny 1/2 inch split ring attached to my main keychain via a McGizmo clip. Works great! It allows me to use my keys separately when I drive, and keeps my other keychain EDC items from banging against my leg.

9. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

i've got like three sets of keychains now. gah, one car, one house and stuff, and one just for tools .. lol

10. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I don't place anything on my keyring either, and would carry some EDC stuff on a separate ring. Not so much to save the ignition switch, but because I just can't stand a giant wad of janitor keys. Though I no longer carry this setup, it used to look like this:

[​IMG]

11. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

Let me explain a little more.

One key is my wifes Audi key, large integrated alarm and key together.
    One is my vehicle key.
    One is my home key.
    Four are my work keys, the large square head type (not sure why we have four different locks through out the building).
    One is my trailer hitch key (about the size of a home key).
    One misc. house type key that I never kew what it was for.
    My alarm fob (very light)

Everything was connected by three different split rings with the heaviest items hanging the lowest. They would swing and hit under the stearing column.

I would consider that much heavier that the one key that everyone is talking about only using, wouldn't you?

I recently went very minimal but only did that because I hated all those keys in my pocket. I have them seperated on two key rings now.

12. Don H

Don H Empty Pockets

It's also the fact that you now have a bunch of metal objects, some of which with sharp edges, dangling around your paint work every time you go to open the car door, unless there is a bottle of touch up paint on there somewhere I'm gonna need a lot more convincing.

13. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Only the ignition key without even a split ring goes in my Ram.

My Sisters Jeep has a cranky lock cylinder from all the crap she carries!

14. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Too much weight can cause problems to a car's ignition switch over time, but it would take a lot of weight over a while to do so. I've minimized my keychain contents to keep bulk in my pocket down though. It currently consists of:

-House key
    -Shop key
    -Miata key
    -Photon Microlight II
    -Swisstech Utilikey

I have the individual keys and/or remotes to our other cars on BP microclips and clip them to the main key ring if I'm driving something else.

15. tintin

tintin Empty Pockets

I use a modular key ring and always split the car key off from the rest of the bunch when driving. Not due to any concerns about the weight in the ignition but the sound of them all clanging around, especially when cornering, wasn't really something I enjoyed. I put the rest of the bunch in one of the cup holders.

16. Don H

Don H Empty Pockets

Yeah the noise would bother me too, I've seen some quite extensive collections on key chains and that swinging around bumping into my knee all the time would drive me crazy.

17. tintin

tintin Empty Pockets

Had almost forgotten about the tiresome knee bumping scenario also, not good.

18. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

That is something that bothers me in the summer when I wear shorts all the time. I'm rather tall and on some of my cars even my minimalistic key ring setup willl often brush my knee and it bothers me. I don't notice it at all in the colder months when I'm wearing pants.

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

At home I have it setup so that there is a keyring with a car key and front door key to my house - so basically the minimum you need to leave the house and lock up after yourself - it also lets others know that if you have a car you have the house key, so can get back in by yourself if they go out.

This is for a couple of reasons, the most obvious is that we share a couple of cars, a smaller car (a VW Polo) plus a larger estate (an Audi A4) which one gets driven depends on where you are going and who is driving - The Polo suits town driving better and is easier to park, but the estate is obviously easier for carting a lot of shopping or a dog. So the keys are 'common' and not anyone in particulars, so the keys are keys, your EDC stays separate.

At the same time, while I couldn't say for sure either way on the weight theory (though it does sound plausible) I don't want anything extra on my keys because I would rather not have all the stuff dangling down ready to swing like a pendulum and smack my knee when the car hits a bump...

20. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I have my car key seperate, but not for that reason.

I have the EDC in my pocket (car key and knife) and everything else goes in my neatfreak.