1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No cell phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by T.H.Cone, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I just realistically don't see how a switched off cellphone in a truck is a danger to anybody or anything. :unsure:

2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

No argument here. But it's the harm irresponsible use of cellphone by an employee when it's not turned off, that could be caused on the way to or from work by that employee. Remember that "good attorney" you cited earlier? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury ... in his capacity as an employee of XYZ Corporation, Mr. Smith is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When he was on his way to the job site/on his way home, he remained "on the clock." By extension, XYZ Corporation is culpable for Mr. Smith's irresponsible and negligent actions.

Ludicrous? A stretch? In my view, yes. But no need to cite court cases that have been won using less-convincing arguments. Happens every day.

I'm not necessarily pro-big business in this discussion, but there's no denying, their actions are often influenced by the litigious society we've become. We've all shot ourselves in the foot, so to speak.

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

The "no phone" policy is something that is made abundantly clear to all employees and contractors who come onto the property. We go through a lengthy safety and security seminar before we can go to work. We are warned that they are not joking and what the consequences will be if we break any rules whatsoever.

We are also fully aware of what the consequences are if we mess up from a safety stand point. Just a couple of weeks ago there was a big refinery fire in CA. Putting aside the horrible and tragic loss of life for a second, now all of us, in the USA, anyway, are paying for it at the pumps. I'm pretty sure most of you do not have daily safety meetings every morning or designated rally points in case something "unexpected" happens.

We, along with the contract companies sign waivers stating we agree to abide by all the rules and allow for searches to be conducted. Most facilities require you to have a TWIC card (TSA: Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC®) which require an FBI background check. I'm not sure a lawyer would be of much help.

As for...

Some will argue that the phone ban is ridiculous, but they feel like it could be an ignition source, so they are not allowed. Remember, I'm in close proximity to petrochemicals. Even turned off in the truck, there is the potential for some one to "just make a quick call" that may very well be his or her last. (in theory anyway, because as far as I know, there hasn't been a documented case of a phone causing the explosion; usually it is either the hot work that gets you or the starting of the truck).

My only point when I started this thread, as it is now, is to say that some of us can, in fact, live without the cell phone. I for one, don't even miss it. Just grist for the mill my friends.

4. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

I leave mine in my car or locker on work days. On days off it sits on the night stand...

5. T.H.Cone

Welcome to EDCF, hiljentaa.

hiljentaa likes this.
  6. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Hey, thanks T.H.Cone!

I lurked for a little while before - finally decided to join recently. I've been learning a lot from everyone on here.

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wish I could convince the wife to cancel the cell phones and cable TV. That's a new Seb every month :). I would miss my sports though

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

8. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

T.H.Cone's employer is perfectly fair to ban phones. In high risk work places, mobiles are banned mainly for the safety of workers. People are told they are not allowed phones, they signed a contact so they stick to what they signed, or go find another job.

9. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Many corporations ban cell phones with cameras and some ban cell phones
    in secured environments, just try and buy a cell phone without a camera,
    the Samsung Entro is the only one I've found.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have an older Samsung E105.

Works great, as a phone. Battery life counted in days.

TomWelch likes this.
  11. Ogre

Ogre Banned

i really wish i could survive without a cellphone.

I might be able to manage it if i was single with no kids, but i cant imagine pulling it off now. plus we have no land line so its the only way to reach me. sure would be nice to save 150/month (and thats even after a discount through work)

12. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Because of my Wife and Son, I would not have a job where I could not be contacted via wireless. Pre - 99, I had to go into SCIFs a lot and I didn't have a cellphone then because they were too expensive. It was hard wired into the truck. But I had a Motorola (Bell Atlantic) Pager and I had to leave that outside the SCIF and wouldn't have a problem with a wireless either...but to work in the SCIF or any other environment and not have the emergency communication ability? Yeah, I'll lose that piece of mind, for a six figure salary.

13. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i need a cellphone for business, but from time 2 time i go without a smartphone (just old dumbphone) or without a telephone at all for 2-4 weeks.

a media diet (no cellphone, no internet, no tv just dvds, no radio, just 1 weekly newspaper) is a healthy thing, from my point of view:cool:

T.H.Cone likes this.
  14. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

I *couldn't* get by without my Galaxy S2. I use it for all my emails throughout the day (I don't always take my laptop with me), and I don't use the landline. For the majority of the time I use it for text messaging, overseas text messaging with an online app and social media.

** By couldn't I mean I don't want to get by without it. I've only had a smart phone for a year so I'm perfectly aware that I'm able to function without it and without a phone however considering the majority of my communication is social media and text messages it would be hard.

I applaud any one who can survive on a daily basis, socially and with work, without one.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I do it everyday without even thinking about it. :cool:

16. T.H.Cone

I too will accept your accolades.

17. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

I could easily ditch my phone, but for the fact it has tapatalk/EDCF on it :)

18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have a cell phone but only take it to work in case of an emergency where my family made need me. Other then that it is turned off and not carried on my days off.

19. D56

D56 Loaded Pockets

I have a mobile phone for emergencies which is kept in the car. It's "pay as you go" and about 3 years ago I put £20 on it...it still has about £10 left. Can't take them in work (I work in a prison) so it just stays in the car. My life does not need a mobile phone, apart from the above breakdown or whatever situation. I find them irritating.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  20. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I didn't have one for a long time. And I don't have a lot of need for one now, but it sure makes my family life run smoother for coordinating with the wife and kids and vehicles.