1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No cell phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by T.H.Cone, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You know what? . . . For a forum filled with watch enthusiasts, that's the one re-occurring comment new members make that doesn't bother the old ones.

I guess I'm saying I'd rather deal with an EDCFer having a bad day, in a foul mood, while angry and drunk; then deal with the average WUS(S)

;)

2. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I am very greatful that this forum and it's moderators don't behave that way. I've been a member (briefly) of other forums where the moderators would go a muck on a crazy power trip. Nothing worse than being flamed on a forum for your ideas, and having your rule abiding replies censored by the mods.

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Actually, its quite the other way around, I am remote enough to need it for safety reasons. But also remote enough to be Outside signal coverage zones on average. :sigh:

For heavens sake, if you don't want to be constantly available, turn the darn hing off till you need it. It'd be just like a land line, if your not there to answer, they leave a message; same thing if you have voice mail and your phone is off.

G.

4. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I don't have a cell phone, don't want a cell phone, and have no plans on ever owning a cell phone, but I do have an old ITouch(2nd generation). I have downloaded a lot of free apps that hopefully will prove useful someday, I like the technology of a mini-computer in my pocket, but I don't want to receive calls. In a few years I plan to get a newer ITouch(4th generation) because I'd like to have the camera.

5. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

How many of us don't have cell phones? Five or six? Or does my ITouch disqualify me? :)

6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I actually have no problem ignoring my phone and letting calls goto voicemail. I generally hate receiving calls. I prefer to get messagea and return calls.

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I hear you. I've encountered that as well. It would be more honest of those individuals if they didn't try to find a rule violation to justify such petty actions. Usually it tends to be the one against arguing with a moderator. Fair enough. But I don't think the rule is supposed to involve a moderator coming into a topic to post his opinion, fellow member respectfully disagrees and points out why, then all of a sudden the moderator puts on his Mod Cap and hands out a ban for "arguing" with him. Yeah . . . Thankfully none of the moderators or admins. on EDCF have such fragile, tiny, pathetic egos.

8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

If Neutrontech is actually Mark Harmon, my wife will be the newest member here at EDCF.:smitten:

9. generationlost

generationlost Loaded Pockets

Having a cell phone is a necessity for me. I'm away from home in college, so it's a way to keep in touch with my family.

Nowadays, you see kids in elementary school with mobile phones. It's just going to continue to be more and more ubiquitous.

I recently made the switch from a regular cell phone to a smartphone with a prepaid plan of $35/month for unlimited data and text with 300 minutes of talk time. It made more sense to switch to prepaid since my parents were paying about $35/month for my old phone which has less capability than the phone I have now, so it was a no-brainer.

Having a cell phone is pretty darn convenient whether if it's taking pictures or receiving last minute/emergency emails and messages, but that's just me. If some people insist on going without a cell phone that's their own business.

10. pagga

pagga Loaded Pockets

You probably want to be able to contact relatives, etc, too, but if by emergencies you strictly mean 911, all cell phones (whether in service or not) are required to provide emergency call capabilities.

11. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I spilled some salsa on my phone last night. Didn't think anything of it because my phone has been to hell and back over the past few years. Unfortunately I forgot to wipe off the phone after I set it on the counter top and it is completely ruined!! I am so angry! My goal was to go as long as possible with this phone. It has been 2 1/2 years since I purchased my last phone. My point being, I can't call my wife at work and she doesn't check her e-mails...ever...so, I can't get a hold of her. I am sure she has texted me 20 or 30 times today because she forgot the phone is ruined. Oh well. Off to Verizon tonight.

12. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I am one of those folks that doesn't have a traditional land line home phone so my mobile phone is it. I also have a Google Voice number that I give to businesses or folks I don't really know much to try and keep my mobile number less public. The GV number in turn rings my cell when dialed. It acts as a barrier if somehow it starts to get abused. GV allows me to block numbers like that in an ingenious way which is if they call again, it says the number has been disconnected.

13. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I use Google Voice also. Love it. I had been trying to get on it back when it was Grand Central.

Since I work from a home office, it is indispensible. It allows me to keep my actual mobile number private, while allowing me to use it for convenience. I can also set it to ring particular phones (I have a landline, mobile phone, VoIP phone, and Skype), depending on the caller's phone number. In general, I let calls with masked Caller ID go to GV's voicemail and I can then read the transcribed voicemail even as I'm on another call. Maybe the best thing is that once I have identified a caller as a junk call (robo calls, telemarketers, inane surveys, etc.), I can blacklist them.

Another great thing is that while I'm working at home, I can leave my mobile phone in my EDC bag so I never forget to take it with me when I go out.

Just thought of another reason for using my mobile phone so much. I am not located CONUS. Until recently, almost none of my phone calls were local calls. Long distance calls were cheaper on my mobile phone.

14. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I know it was, and still is, hard for some of you to imagine a world without cell phones. Or that someone won't or can't carry one. But here is a little story of what taking a cell phone into a restricted area will get you. The pipeline company that I work for has had us working in or near one of the local refineries. Normally, we can have turned off phones in our trucks, but there is a very strict no cell phone policy on refinery property. It doesn't matter if you keep it off or store it in your truck. No cell phones, period. No second bites at the apple. They are very serious about it.

So, anyway, lots of different companies provided contracted services inside the refinery. Someone was stealing copper and in order to catch whomever it was, the powers that be decided to search every car and truck on the way out of the complex. Turns out it was two yahoos from another company. But they also caught a guy with a cell phone. The thieves were arrested and the phone smuggler, well, he was fired and banned from ever working there again.

I wonder if he still feels that a cell phone is an absolute necessity?

15. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

A cell phone is easy to live without, but it depends a lot on your job, your lifestyle, and if you have access to a phone elsewhere. My new job will have me working where I will have to have it turned off as any distractions could end up killing you. You < Train.

16. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

I can understand a "phone off in your car" policy or a "phone off in your car with battery and sim removed" policy or even a "phone off and leave it at the guard before entering", but a "no phone at all" policy is unacceptable for me. Because this way they enforce "no phones" even before and after working hours when a worker comes or leaves the facility and they have no job doing that. After all, they will not follow each worker and call for help on his behalf if he needs it.

17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Progress and evolution of technology in society is a fun thing to watch. What this comment implies is so true ... it would be difficult to imagine not having a cell phone this day and age (said as someone who has one, likes the convenience, but uses little). But yet, don't have to go back too many years — 20? — to remember when "portable phones" (loved the bag phones) were indeed rare. What did we do before that? Yeah, payphones were plentiful, but personally, I rarely used payphones (the concept seems so primitive by today's standards).

@T.H.Cone -- too bad it takes loss of job for people to believe an edict ... Don't do this, or you will lose your job.

18. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think of mine as a pocket computer that incidentally makes phone calls. The least plan Verizon has is 450 minutes/month. It's an unusual month where I use more than 30 minutes, most of which are Verizon in-network minutes and don't count against the 450. Minutes that really count are usually under 10.

On the data side, I use 1.0-1.2 GB/month, mostly synching pictures and email, with some tethering when needed. Occasionally log into the home VMS box. Oh, and Tapatalk, of course :D No Facebook, rare Twitter.

At work, I am required to have the phone turned off, but they recently lightened up on the policy that I had to remove it from my person and put it in a bag.

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Realistically speaking, that guy got home, grabbed a phone book, and was dialing the number of an attorney before the door slammed shut behind him. Will he win? Some would likely say "no way." But a good attorney can twist things just enough to eek out a win.

20. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

We don't know why T.H.'s workplace implemented the policy (job-site safety or perceived before/after work liability). I agree with your comment that "a good attorney can twist things" (or a "bad" attorney, depending on whether you're plaintiff or defendant). That same statement applies when an employee (or employee of sub-contractor) harms someone while driving and "cellphoning" when he/she is on the way to or from the workplace. A "good attorney will twist things" such that the employer/workplace becomes target of litigation ("deep pockets" in play). So, like most things, there are two sides to the debate. Between past litigation and publications like this from the National Safety Council ( Employer Liability and the Case for Comprehensive Cell Phone Policies ), it's no wonder some workplace rules border on the Draconian.