1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

No cell phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by T.H.Cone, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I've finally broken down and bought a cell phone for daily use. I've had a $11 a month TracFone that mostly just sits around unused. I usually find it's dead from being ignored off the charger when I have a need for it and decide to take it with me somewhere.

But my home landline price has been slowly creeping up over the years to the point where it's almost as much as a cell plan. I just recently ordered a Galaxy Note but haven't gotten it yet. It wasn't the need for the cell phone as much as wanting some of the functionality of my iPad2 in a more portable format. I probably average one call per day, even counting my home landline, so a cell phone has never been a real use to me. When I'm on call for work, I use a company phone. Most calls I get aren't really wanted, so 24/7 contact via a cell is more of a pain than a convenience. The only benefit I'll see by switching from landline to cell is getting CallerID since I've refused to pay the added cost on my home landline. Now it'll be easier to duck the telemarketers, etc. that are about half the few calls I do get.

2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Really? So there is at least one other person here as extreme as me. Where you ever tempted to see what all the fuss is about?

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. T.H.Cone

So, I'm not sure why the math has been such an issue. I just went to Sprint http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp and two 450 minute plans with the added $5 each for the PTT direct connect radio feature is $89.90 ((39.95+5)*2)=89.90). Add in the tax and fees and you are very close to a hundred. Times twelve months... ergo the number I stated in the OP. NO data involved, the only extra was the PTT; which was the feature I really needed. In fact, I'd be happy to have PTT ONLY, no phone, for reasons to lengthy to get into here.

4. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

Yep..luckily I'm "friendless" & have no need of a phone..

SAKplumber and xtrajack like this.
  5. T.H.Cone

And so my army grows, (evil sounding) HAHAHAHAHAHA.....

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

We only have cell phones no land line. Nice to be able to contact someone no matter where you are. Finding payphones is almost impossible these days so I wish you luck if you're out wherever and really need to reach out for help or..........!

7. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

This is what finally pushed me into getting a cell phone (after holding out as long as possible).

8. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I have one, wife has one, both kids have basic lines. No home phone. I have had one since '94. Got one free with a new vehicle. $30 a month at that time for 30 minutes I think. Now, two android phones with data and shared minutes between 4 lines. I tried going without a cell phone, but something happened to one of my kids when he was little and wife couldn't get in touch as I am never near a landline or office phone. All my jobs have been driving in one way or another. And a pager wouldn't work if you are 2 hours from a pay phone.

9. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Do you leave it turned on all the time? With the pay-as-you-go phones I've had in the past, I often kept it turned off when I wasn't using the phone, and after being charged the battery would last for weeks instead of days (if left on)

10. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

It stays in the vehicle, so it's always off. I recharge it about once a month (when I remember). When I do put it on the charger, it's done in a few minutes.

11. T.H.Cone

A bit of a red herring, no? In a true emergency, any old cellphone is capable of calling a 911 operator. Like I stated earlier, there are old units in our cars and if I needed to be that far away from a vehicle, well, that's what pockets are for. The school has the home phone number as well as the numbers for all four grandparents who happen to live close by, so that is pretty well covered. And if someone (my wife, for instance) really, really needs to get a hold of me, they can call the office and the office will relay the message.

If I had better cell reception at my house, perhaps I would have ditched the land line instead. I certainly can see why people choose one over the other. I'll state here, again, that I'm not trying to convince anybody to give up their electronics, although I've been fine without it. In fact, I don't carry any electronic devices.

I realize I am a bit of an outlier. But even with this small of a sampling, we can see I'm not alone. And, truthfully, I kinda enjoy the silence.

At the end of the day, I just don't feel that a cell phone is necessary for me.

12. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I don't think of my phone as "that thing that people call me on", it's capable of 95% of what my computer and landline (if I had one) can do at home, but anywhere, anytime. If you're always at home or at the office, I can easily see why you don't need one- but at the same time I kind of wonder how much you are limiting yourself.

A simple example would be if you went out to a restaurant but it was closed for some reason. With a phone you could easily look up other restaurants in the area, including ones you've never been to, read reviews, make reservations, and get directions. Without a phone, you can... drive or walk in circles until you find another place. Granted, you're not losing a whole lot (it's just a meal after all), but having everything on your phone gives you options.

There is a huge gulf between "emergency, I need to call 911!" and "this can wait a few hours". For example, I was in a car accident that stranded me on my way to my friend's house, in a completely random city. With my phone, I could take pictures of the damage, take pictures of everyone's insurance info (works better than writing it down), call my friend and tell them I would be late, call for a ride from another friend (and tell them the exact location I was stuck at - GPS coordinates), and call my insurance company, explain the situation, and email them the photos, all within 20 minutes of the initial accident. Sure, I could have done the same with a disposable camera, pen and paper, and a roll of quarters for the payphone (if I could ever find one), it just would have taken a lot more time and been more difficult.

13. T.H.Cone

shrap, fair enough. These are all valid points and it is true that people like me give up some level of convenience. But at what cost? Lets assume for this discussion that I could get a phone to do everything (voice, data, camera, GPS, etc.) for $50/month; that's still $600/year, assuming I get the phone for free. That's more than a pittance, no?

I have a long history of not using a phone in the manner you described. Part of the reason is just lifestyle, some of it is work imposed restrictions, and a bit more is the fact that I live in rural area without a lot of new restaurants. JK! I'm not a young single person with a fluid social life who is always on the move and trying new things. I'm a middle aged family guy with a very predicable routine and precious little leisure time. It is just a cost vs benefit issue and I find I can live without it.

xtrajack likes this.
  14. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I tend to stick it in my bag when I think I "might" need it and then when I don't use it I forget it's in there until the next time I need it. By then of course the battery has died and I need to charge it before use.

Those types of needs are what are finally pushing me to get a smartphone. Things like QR codes are showing up in more stores. And the creation of apps for the small things in daily life can make me wish for a smartphone even over a full blown PC. Although most of my time is spent at home or work where standard computers are available, and still preferred for most tasks, it's become more noticable when I am out that there are times when specialized apps would come in very handy.

Phone calls and social media use, who cares. But a mini-PC to be able to do what I want, when I want; that's worth some money to me.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope. Last summer the landline went 17 days without a single ring. ah, silence.

SAKplumber likes this.
  16. Rotozip

Rotozip Empty Pockets

I don't have a cell phone. I am a software developer and own an iPad, kindle fire, a MacBook Air, a Dell laptop. I just don't get out enough to justify the added monthly payment. Both my kids have cell phones and I pay the payment. So I guess I do have a cell phone if I really need one.

17. grrradical

grrradical Loaded Pockets

I wish I could get rid of my cellphone, but like many others it's my only phone. My parents ditched landlines years ago and I followed suit. Unfortunately they also started their plan with Verizon so I didn't have much choice as a teenager. I can't wait for my contract to expire so I can move to something cheaper. SO sick of paying too much money every month for something I barely use except to contact a few friends, family, and work.

18. T.H.Cone

Preaching to the choir, my friend, preaching to the choir.

19. Websniper

Websniper Loaded Pockets

I'm reading and responding to this thread on my iPhone right now.

I have two phones, work and personal. I'd love to be rid of one, but my job as an IT consultant requires a smartphone and I prefer to keep my personal contact separate from work...

Until just recently I didn't have a smart phone and rarely used the basic phone for calls. I almost ditched the personal cell completely, but instead got an iPhone 4s and I'm glad I did. The cell phones are our only phone lines and the entertainer value of the smartphone is certainly appealing.

As much as I drive for work I could not imagine being without the phone for emergencies, breakdowns etc.

I actually frigggin' can't stand it when my phone rings, but for me it's not worth losing the utility of having directions and communications available right at my fingertips.

20. KuKu

KuKu Loaded Pockets

No way I can do without my iPhone, but I have been using it less ever since I got an iPad.