1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NKD! Case Jumbo Stockman -

Discussion in 'Knives' started by tankmbt, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

Had been itching for a new stockman knife, as I'd carried a Old Timer 340T that was found on a beach during vacation for years. Some dumb (enter word of choice) had snapped the clip point's tip off. I had done my best to re-tip it, but was always less than happy with knowing there was just something missing.

Here's the Old Timer, a nice USA made one too, still a nice knife but she'll be going into a tool bag or the truck now ..

[​IMG]

Recently I had received a series of promotions (over a few month span), from part time temporary to part time permanent to full time permanent. Seeing all the lovely knives here and on other forums had me shopping around on the net and even putting in a bid or two. Well my patience was lost and I went looking around today only to bring home this lovely beauty ...

[​IMG]

Nicely built and sharp as heck! A very toothy edge, I'll need pointers if I want to maintain it like that as my sharpening method is much smoother. It'll take some getting used to on the size. She;s not quite a big as my Buck 110 but won't travel in a belt holster either.

Any pics, sharpening or care tricks would be appreciated!

2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

The first thing I always do on my new Case knives is clean up the horrible edges most of them have come with. Usually that very toothy edge is just a burr that never got removed. It may be sharp, but it isn't very durable, so I just clean it off. If that is what it looks like (Amber bone and CV steel), you'll need to either keep the blades coated with some sort of protectant or expect them to form a patina. When I bought my CV 6375, my next step after cleaning up the edges was cutting up a couple of Granny Smith apples to eat. The main and sheepsfoot blades were gray within a couple of hours, and I haven't had any red rust. It does look a bit odd with the spey still shiny, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Yablanowitz, Sep 19, 2014
    Buckeye Jake, tankmbt and thePlumbah like this.
  3. c_nieporte

c_nieporte Loaded Pockets

Congratulations on your recent promotions :cool: .
    I use a DC4 sharpener to get that sharp,toothy edge on mine....

[​IMG]
    Then I strop it if I want to polish it up a little.

Cliff

4. Leverdoug

Leverdoug Loaded Pockets

Good lookin knife, and it sounds like life is goin I the right direction for ya, congrats. As for a sheath, if you'd be interested, I would recommend one like this[​IMG]
    It's from Big Bend Saddlery. I have one and love it, fits trapper/stockman style knives very well and really comfortable.

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Elmore's Leather (in the Forum Store) can custom make you any leather you need. Just tag or PM EDCF Member Arch Ronin :)

Both knives look nice:)

Cobra 6 Actual and tankmbt like this.
  6. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

I probably won't be putting this one on my belt. I've had a problem lately with tearing belt loops :mad: , even to the point of not wearing my recently acquired Nite Ize holster. I like having all my extra's on hand but it hasn't been worth the hassle.

Gave her a stropping, Mothers Mag polish on a leather belt, as I've done the rest. I certainly see what burr Yablanowitz has mentioned. I've been making confetti with scrap paper. I'm going to hold off giving a proper resharpening, it's just too fresh for me to go grinding on already.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. Yablanowitz

You may have gotten a good one. It does happen, just not very often to me with Case.

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wouldn't wear it on my belt either. But I do sometimes wish I had a small leather slip sheath to protech mine in my pocket.

9. Till

Till Empty Pockets

Nice pick up, I love my Jumbo Stockman for work. I always just strop mine.

10. Massen

Massen Loaded Pockets

Love the Old Timer! Remember, if you toss it in a tool bag or your truck the carbon steel can rust. Judging by the look of the knife, you have taken great care of it! The American made Schrade Old Timers hold a special place in my family (Grandpa always had one), and I have rehabbed quite a few for family members and my personal collection.

Like I said, your 340 looks great, so I don't think you'll have any issue caring for the CV steel. For sharpening I have found that Case knives come requiring a full re-profile for my tastes.

What is your current sharpening method?

- Massen

11. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

Oh I won't let the Old Timer rust away. I'm pretty good about keeping gear clean and dry, I had actually just polished it up. Would it be worth it to have the blade perhaps replaced? I don't really have the know how, but would gladly let someone else have a go.

As far as sharpening I use a Smith's sharpening system (think Lansky knock off), the kind that mounts the blade into a jig and had rod mounted angle guided sharpening medium. Then I'll strop with a leather belt loaded with Mother's Mag Polish. So far I've been getting good results on all my various knives. I can get the usual hair popping, shaving sharp is my usual stopping point. My Case I have not sharpened as it just doesn't need it, it's a wonderful toothy, almost scary sharp that I'd love to be able to recreate.

I'd like to get something a litte more traditional, and hands on. I've been eyeing Arkansas stone, Norton combination stones and various others. I'm still up in the air though, any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

12. Yablanowitz

Getting blades replaced on your Old Timer would be an expensive proposition. Schrade used Swinden Key construction, so disassembly and reassembly is a bit tricky. It would be cheaper to replace the whole knife, as they are not yet very hard to find.

I tried the Lansky guided rod system years ago. I threw it out as worthless for me, and went right back to freehand. I switched to DMT diamond hones about 25 years ago, and I'm not likely to go back to the stone age any time soon.

c_nieporte likes this.