1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nitecore Tip2 Review

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by CV801, May 29, 2019.

1. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I just received the Nitecore Tip2 rechargeable keychain flashlight and thought I’d start a thread giving my personal thoughts of this light. As many of you on this forum I tend to switch gear as I see new things come out I think I’d like. I was recently carrying a Surefire Sidekick rechargeable keychain light. I didn’t think I would want to carry anything that I had to manage recharging a battery but I found the Sidekick lasted a while and I wound up just recharging it when I thought about not when it ran out of juice. So having a rechargeable light is not an issue. When I saw the Tip2 the first thing that caught my attention was the 720 lumens. That’s 420 lumens brighter than the Sidekick. I know this isn’t the light you’d grab for a search and rescue mission but it’s great having that power on tap on a keychain light when you need it. I don’t carry on me any other flashlight so I depend solely on this one for all my mobile needs. I also liked the other settings. It has 1, 30, 200, and 720 lumen setting which provide a great range for all applications. When I was looking at pictures of the Tip2 it looked larger than the Sidekick. I was pleasantly surprised it is a bit smaller. It has a nice aluminum housing compared to the sidekicks plastic housing. I’m not sure how long the Tip2 will remain looking nice though banging around with my keys. Another feature of the Tip2 I like is there are 2 magnets beneath the end cap. You simply pull the end cap off and expose the usb charging port and magnets. This allows you to hang the light on a ferrous surface to have hands free operation. This also is a quick way to disconnect it from your keychain.

Here’s how the interface works. There are 2 buttons on the side of the light. One is power and the other is mode. Pressing the power button for a couple seconds turns the light on. Pressing the mode button cycles through 1, 30, and 200 lumens. When on the 200 lumen setting holding the mode button will activate the 720 lumen setting. This setting will only remain until you release the mode button which will revert it back to 200. Pressing the power button will turn the light off. When I first saw this I figured there was no tactical/defense with this light but found that wasn’t the case. When the light is off just pressing and holding the mode button will activate the 720 lumen setting. Pretty quick pretty cool! One more note is that the light has a memory so if you are for example in the 30 lumen mode and shut the light off it will turn on in the 30 lumen mode. I do find the small buttons to be a bit cumbersome and the rectangle shape of the light doesn’t lend itself to quick use. I found myself having to look at which way I was holding the light one time while I was aiming the magnets at the subject. I’m sure a little more time with the light and I’ll become more familiar with it.

I guess that’s it for now. I’ll have more as I have a chance to use it in real world situations more. Here are a couple pics.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and chaosmagnet like this.
  2. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet and Nick4305 like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

No real way to keep it from turning on in my pocket?

The sidekick did as well!

Otherwise seems like a great TIP upgrade but useless for pocket carry to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I guess it's possible but you do have to hold the power button for a couple seconds to activate.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My pocket has no hands.

ran23 likes this.
  6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I finally found my way over here. Yay, me. :p

Something I thought was kinda' cool about the TIP2 was the optional charging cable/stand, but it looks like that cable/stand is available by itself and works with any light with a micro-usb port, preferably on the side like the TINI shown here:

[​IMG]

I tried the TINI. It's a nice little light, but it was more likely to get turned on in my pocket than the Tube I'm using now.

Nitecore makes some neat stuff. They've had quality control issues in the past, hopefully that's been straightened out.

Nick4305, Moshe ben David and CV801 like this.
  7. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

So far so good with the Tip2. After using it some more I find the 720 lumens is really bright. Works great. The fact that you have to hold the power button to turn it on is a little annoying. I get it. It's to prevent it from accidently turning on but I'm impatient and when I want light I want light. Another slightly annoying thing is my keys stick to the light due to the magnets. Not a show stopper but a little annoying. I wish the housing and cap did a better job at sheilding this. Oh well a couple little quirks to get used to.

Blackheart likes this.
  8. NorthernHarrier
    • +1 Supporter

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

Nice upgrade to the TIP, but the magnet makes it a no-go for me. I have to carry too many magnetic key cards to risk carrying this light. I do use my original TIP and my TUP often. Great lights.

9. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

There are pros and cons. My keys and Atwood Ghost sick to it. Kind of annoying. One other thing I don't care for is having to hold the power button down for awhile to turn the light on.

10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Got mine today. I like it. I wish the delay between pressing the power button and turning on were less, or could be configured to not delay. The magnet is strong and requires a straight pull to get the tail off; it seems very well engineered to me in the hour I've been fiddling with it. The beam is great and the mode spacing is fine. I like where the buttons are placed. The clip I'm on the fence about.

CV801 likes this.
  11. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

It is a good keychain light. I 100% agree with you about the delay and having a programmable option. Another thing worth mentioning is that the black anodizing on the edges on mine are starting to wear due to banging around with my keys in my pocket.

chaosmagnet likes this.