1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nitecore Tip - first impressions - Nitecore Tip and Thumb

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Weko, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Just got both in the mail and am charging them to try out tonight. This is my initial impression of both.

First of all the Thumb. In one word - blah. Almost 3/4 inch longer than the Tube with the same 45 lumen rating. Clip on the back almost doubles the thickness and almost 3/16" wider. Adjustable head will not stay flat. I got the UV version which is short ranged but ok. Weighs more than my Tube,P-7 clip, Vargo whistle and kW key combined. No low setting for the light but on the positive side, longer run time at 45 lumens (rated at 2 hr). Red/ blue police warning strobe - flashes red/red the blue/blue. Need to test this in the dark, but seems like a marker flasher only.
    Bottom line, unless you need the adjustable head and clip, I would just get a clear Tube and UV Tube and carry them together on a P-7 clip.

Now the Tip is a different story. It's roughly 1/4 inch longer than the Tube, about the same length as my Surefire Sidekick. About 3/8" narrower compared to the Sidekick, or 1/8" wider than the Tube. Approx. 1/8" thicker than the Tube and @1/8" thinner than the Sidekick. Interesting to note that the Tip and Sidekick are close to the same weight. My Tip only cycles thru three brightness levels despite the packaging saying four levels. Light color is noticeably whiter compared to the Sidekick and not as blue as the the Tube. As noted by others on the forum, the Tip does not have a rubber cover over the charging port like the Tube and Touch have and the charging port is vertical rather than horizontal like on the Tube.

I may break out a scale and micrometer to do a better comparison but for $30 shipped vs $69 for the Sidekick, unless something major happens, I think Nitecore has a winner in the Keychain light category

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Update #1
    To get the Tip to turbo mode, you hold down the mode switch for longer than 1 second, it does get warm quickly. The metal case is also a aluminum stamping. It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the pocket

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I acquired three samples of the Tube. All died within 3 months. I don't have high hopes for those two.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  4. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Judging by some of the social media I've been reading Nitecore seemed to be tossing these things at anyone willing to write a (favorable?) review.

A few of my friends have NCs, one an MT model, the other a Tube. Both failed within the first 6 months.

They make innovative lights but most complaints I see on forums is from this brand. Maybe for a few years their QC was terrible, maybe they experienced growing pains.

It looks like a great alternative to the Sidekick, but I'd probably hold out and see how they last first.

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't know how you were able to use them for 3 months - the PWM is awful on the Tube. :unsure:

Their QC has always been terrible. They have great concepts, but a lot of technical issues and no meaningful warranty.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Likely because I've been desensitized due to firearm muzzle flash.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  7. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Any info on how the Nitecore Tips are holding up? :)

UPDATE:
    I withdraw the question. My Tube I bought in September 16 and used sparsely just stopped working (unable to turn on the LED, the blue light is on when charging though). So I'm not buying the Tip ... :(

Yeah ... mine died in five months ...

UPDATE 2:
    Ive been reading news and clicking the tube (literally about 50-70 times) and suddenly the Tube started working again. But before Id been walking my dog, I pressed the button at least 30 times and nothing. Not something I would call a reliable light ... :(

Last edited by Redneck Bear, Wednesday at 2:39 PM
    #7 Redneck Bear, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM
  8. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Definitely not buying a TIP - I have no idea why this light gets so much buzz when it had such a disastrous launch.
    When you have to vet sellers to make sure they have a model that doesn't drain when not in use...the light is a dud.

Yet, there's so much interest despite a huge QC fail...I'll never get it. For me, it's always function over form. Innovation is good, but if it comes at the cost of reliability then no thanks.

It is interesting to see the divide in many forums though - a lot of the dedicated light forums praise new designs, no matter how poorly implemented they are...whereas the general gear forums just want durability it seems like.

With that said, I've read way too many issues with Nitecore products, seen friends NCs fail prematurely...heck, I've bought 3 Tubes and none of them have worked. Even the one that does work still has issues.

I'm sure for light duty tactical dog walking light there might be a Nitecore product that you can count on, but for real outdoors use where quality counts I'll continue to pass with this brand.

9. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Since I had a first model tip, I accidentally turned on the lockout and encountered the issue with the power drain and was unable to turn it off. Your inquiry resulted in me pulling it out again and like your tube, my tip is working normally again, be interested in seeing how long. My Tube has been working ok over a year. Selling point on them has been the power but in reality, seldom use the highest setting. I have been testing a number of rechargeable keychain lights lately and like rechargeables over small lights that use coin or bottom batteries but have not found one that meets my wants yet.

10. Blitzwing
    • The Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Don't know about the tip or tube.. I wouldn't expect them to be "forever" key chain lights.. Maybe people are expecting too much from a budget light.. As for nitecore I have 5 different models and all are excellent.. I just think people are expecting too much from these budget, plastic lights.. If you want a forever one go buy a metal light like a 4sevens mini ml

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I don't doubt anyone who has had one of these lights fail. My experience has been a lot more positive -- everyone got either a Tip or a Tube for Christmas (including a few for me) and all of the Tips are are still good. I have yet to see a Tube fail other than one that was subject to excessive physical damage.

12. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Funny you should mention the foursevens Mini, just got two MK IIs, Copper and Titanium EDM

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Tip are metal.