1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nitecore P12 not working HELP!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by intocoman, Apr 21, 2015.

1. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

All,

My 6 month old Nitecore P12 fell of the nightstand, a relatively slight fall onto carpet. When I went to use it again it didn't turn on. I charged the Nitecore 18650 battery and tried it again with no luck. After some time playing with it the light appears to only function in the low setting. So if you turn it on, which unless its in low, is a total guess you can cycle it through the modes and it will be off for most clicks then come on with a very low output, probably the 1 lm setting. The voltage reads, from the flashlight, at 4.1 or 4.2V. I haven't put a DVM to any of it to see what is/isn't working, but I don't have anything to compare it to previously. I also haven't put CR123s in it either, ever for that matter.

I have an authorization to return it for a refund, but if I can fix it easy that would be great. I really like everything else about the light, when you know it works. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

2. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure. At first I thought it might be a contact issue where the tension spring had been over compressed.

This light is not a twisty but uses a mode switch so I can't really say for sure if you could try stretching the spring on the end make to make stronger contact with the head.

Also check the head for any small metal filings that could be shorting it out. Maybe blast it out with a compressor.

Not a flashlight mechanic so just offering some ideas that I would likely try.

REDDEVIL and Jon Fearnow like this.
  3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

First try a different battery, or CR123s, or that 18650 in another light. Next try the bypass test - ie, leave the tube/clicky aside and use a paperclip to make the connection to the head like THIS

Otherwise... THIS? :(

REDDEVIL and Jon Fearnow like this.
  4. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

No filings in there and I stretched the spring. I tried the paper clip trick I also shimmed up the contact in the head to make sure it was a good connection to the button on the battery. I put two brand new CR123s in there as well. I was able to get the exact same result as with the original configuration. I think there is something bad with the driver board, some connection in there. Probably after the side switch but before the output. I think hte driver isn't seeing the full voltage the side switch is. Not sure if there is a separate board or control for the two operations. It's going back tomorrow.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. What should I replace it with?

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

If new batteries have the same problem then you have a flashlight that needs to be repaired or replaced under warranty. For what it's worth, I have a P12 rattling around in my range bag and it's working fine as of a moment ago.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  6. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Thanks, chaosmagnet. Kinda torn as the P12 had everything I was looking for. I have a return set up for a credit. Might look into the warranty idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I own and use a bunch of NiteCores and haven't had any problems. Again, that's for what it's worth. I can say the same about Fenix, FourSevens, ThruNite and (just one) EagleTac (that I sold, even though I liked it). I've had one serious problem with a Streamlight weaponlight -- but when I did, Streamlight took care of the problem promptly and courteously. I'm buying another one soon.

Back to NiteCore: My primary EDC light, my primary headlight, my two "go-to" lights, are all NiteCore. Right now they fit my usage needs more than anything else in my stable. I'm sure one day that will change :).

8. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Thanks again for all the advice. I've got an Olight S30R Baton in bound at the moment. Little more expensive but only a few bucks once batteries are accounted for. Little of put by the Nitecore performance. Also went away from a two button system. The Eagle Tac didn't have memory mode or moonlight in the 18650 battery. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

Sent when I probably should have been doing something else.