1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nitecore D10 vs Ex10, Golden Dragon??

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by PenRx, Feb 20, 2009.

1. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

OK, I am seriously considering one of these lights to replace my beloved Fenix P1D Ce which was washed to death by my wife, apparently by accident. :evil:

I have a couple of questions, I really like the Cr123 form factor and have a couple of other lights which use the same battery. I also have a pile of rechargeable AA's because I use them in camera flashes all the time, so the AA D10 would not be a stretch for me in that respect. What is the size difference between the two Nitecore's, is the D10 that much bigger in the hand?

Also, does anyone out there have both the Cree Q5 edition and the Golden Dragon? What is the difference between them. I believe that the Cree has a higher output but less run time, whereas the GD runs a little less output but for longer. What is the color difference in the two emitters? Is the GD a little warmer than the Cree version??

Help!

Cheers,
    Sean

2. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

"Selfbuilt" on candlepowerforums.com has a review on Ex10/D10 Q5 and GD.
    If you go to 4sevens.com (and click on the Nitecore section) you can clearly see a size difference in the picture they show.
    Be sure to do research on the Ex10/D10 for pros and cons before you buy. (I chose the LiteFlux LF3XT instead and Im very satisfied :winkwink:)

3. Seiko

Seiko Empty Pockets

Here is the thread by selfbuilt over at CPF

After skimming it unless you are a light color or output nut, I don't think it matters one way or the other.

4. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

This is another picture showing the difference between the two:

[img width=640 height=480]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9503/cimg1289pc5.jpg[/img]

Personally I find that the D10 feels better in the hand while the EX10 is a bit too short and thick.

As to the LED choice it appears that the Golden Dragons are now being dropped so shortly they will no longer be available. The reason seems to be that they put out less light but without an increased runtime, so in other words they are less efficient.

5. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

The shorter EX10 doesn't bother me as I find the aggressive knurling allows me to use the light in a "cigar hold" grip very easily. The Q5 will look slightly brighter, a bit cooler, and somewhat "ringy".

6. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

I have both in the Cree version and I find it more comfortable to hold the D10 in a traditional "in-hand" style grip, but if you use the cigar style grip, there really isn't much difference.

7. m16a

m16a Empty Pockets

Something to note in terms of the beam pattern differences. The Q5 will have a ringier beam, but will most certainly be whiter. The hotspot will be larger than that of the GDP with slightly less spill. The GDP will have a tighter hotspot, not as white a color, a smoother transition from hot spot to sidespill. You can still get EX10 GDPs. The D10 version was discontinued due to lack of interest according to 4sevens. I'd personally wait for the new R2 versions to come out, and get one of them. :luck:

M16a

8. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

Any idea when the R2 versions are coming out?
    I am kind of leaning towards the d10 at the moment and found a good deal on one for $58 on ebay. Of course it comes from Hong Kong but that is usually cheaper than shipping to Canada from the US.

I think that I would prefer the GD version. I have a few cree lights and would like something less ringy

Cheers
    Sean

9. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

10. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

GD version is both dimmer and shorter runtime, and has a bit cooler tint on average.

11. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

Just ordered the R2 version of the D10 from 4sevens. Hopefully it will ship on Monday and I will have it in about a week and a half.

thanks to all who chimed in here, that made my decision much easier.

Cheers,
    Sean