1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nitecore d10 sp r2 high mode not so high.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bjjprepared, Dec 31, 2009.

1. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

I recieved a nitecore d10 sp r2 for Christmas and it's a Great light, but the high mode isn't much brighter than the medium mode. The high mode is suppossed to be 135 lumens and the medium is suppossed to be 35 lumens but I feel like they are nowhere close to that far apart. I'm using a duracell which I know aren't the best for these types of lights but I don't think that should effect the brightness that much.

Also it's not that much brighter than my fenix LD01 and certainly not as bright as my surefire backup.

2. EDC EVERYTHING

EDC EVERYTHING Empty Pockets

I got the D10 Sp and it's much brighter then my D10 Golden Dragon plus.Loose the alkaline's and run lithium primaries or go with an AW's R14500 (AA size) and you'll notice a big difference.

3. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

It takes over twice as many lumens to see a huge difference fyi.

4. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

135 % 35 = 3.85 Thats a little bit more than twice as many. I think i should see a difference.

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

3.85 times as many lumens should make a noticeable difference, but it's not a huge difference. I think the wise folk at CPF say human eyes perceive light intensity in a logarithmic fashion, so I suppose you'd need ten times the lumens for it to seem twice as bright.

Look at it this way:
    from 2.5 to 5 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 5 to 10 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 10 to 20 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 20 to 35 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 35 to 70 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 70 to 135 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 135 to 250 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 250 to 500 lumens there's only a small perceived difference
    from 500 to 1000 lumens there's only a small perceived difference

Obviously, small perceived differences do add up and there's quite a difference between 5 and 500 lumens. But 35 and 135 really aren't all that far apart. 135 is technically almost four times brighter, of course, it just doesn't look that way.

Btw, you can probably see the difference much more clearly over distance. Go outside on point the light at some far-away objects, that should make the 35 vs. 135 difference much more apparent.