1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nite Ize Figure 9

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by socaldavel, May 20, 2014.

1. socaldavel

socaldavel Empty Pockets

As a dad of two scouts and an active leader for both (Webelos & an Asst. Scoutmaster for the Troop) I've come to appreciate knots & hitches. The taught-line hitch & two half-hitches are both required for scouting and I've come to learn and use them quite often myself (among many others).

I also have a Nite Ize S-Biner Ahhh....which is great for carrying my keyrings on one end, hooking the other end to a beltloop and always have a convenient way to open a beverage.

I've seen quite a few Nite Ize products in stores and always give them a second look because of their quality. Although I used to laugh at the Figure 9's thinking that I wouldn't need them since I can tie some useful knots. I was shopping at REI (always bad news for my wallet) and finally gave in recently and picked up a small Figure 9 to try out.

[​IMG]

It's super lightweight (.5 oz) and I thought I'd give it a try on my next campout.
    I used it to tie down my tarp guy-out line on my hammock. Now I know I could've easily used a taught-line hitch and adjusted tension as necessary, but the Figure 9 did a great job and was dead simple to use.

I used the taught-line hitch on the other side of tarp... both held up quite well over a windy night.

Best part about it? I was able to show the scouts who were out on that trip an easy way to put tension on a line using a hardware solution and compare that to their taut-line hitch. NOW they understand BOTH methods and why the taut-line hitch is useful.

For the record, I saw a large Nite Ize Figure 9 S-Biner at Wally World (aka. Wal-Mart) over the weekend and couldn't resist picking it up too. Not bad at 1.9 oz. and it can hold much larger diameter cordage. I'm sure I'll find many uses for this.

Nick4305, ManVsLawn, kkay and 2 others like this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Dave, thanks for the review. I missed it somehow when it first went up. How have the Figure 9s held up to a 1/2 year's use?

Oh, and thanks for taking time to volunteer with the kids.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

If you like that, check out Fishbone knotless gear ties. Bit fancier version of a similar concept.

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I've been using several for years in a campervan to tie stuff down and keep it from moving/rattling - both plastic and metal versions. They work great and held up perfectly. I use them when the cord needs to be cinched really tight - they give you the leverage to do that, unlike the friction/grip knots. However, I prefer using knots otherwise, it's just one less thing to keep track of - my favorite friction/grip knot is the Adjustable Grip Hitch (sometimes used with an added loop).

thePlumbah likes this.
  5. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

A set of small plastic ones came with my Kelty Noah's Tarp. I've had the tarp for a few years now and the figure nines work fine.

In fact they worked fine enough that I bought a set of the Nite Ize green reflective guy lines, which also come with small figure 9's.

Mine haven't seen heavy use but for what they are they work fine. Since I have them already set up on a tarp (or two) I can set up a tarp very quickly with no fuss. When the skies crack open and you suddenly find yourself in a torrential downpour that wasn't in the weather forecast, that becomes important.

6. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I got a package of 2 small figure 9's, each with it's own line, at Meijer in the clearance aisle for $4. Very handy. My trunk has 4 clips and these work great for lightly securing things like my heavy duty winter gear, snow shovel, grocery bags, etc. I hate things rolling and rattling around back there.

7. ClarkeB

ClarkeB Loaded Pockets

I love the Nite-Ize products! The figure 9 is definately on my EDC keychain

8. socaldavel

socaldavel Empty Pockets

Been a while since I've been on the site so I haven't seen this. The Nite Ize Figure 9 has held up great. I still carry the large one around in my pack and always have the small one on my keychain, although don't use them as often as anticipated. I do still break them out from time to time w/ the scouts, but at this point my older son does most of the teaching (as he's a Life scout) and I sit back and observe as a Scoutmaster should.