1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nissan Frontier owners?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by SponzyParadox, Aug 15, 2013.

1. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

Hi guys I am looking at getting into a midsize truck, I know the MPGs are close, but I have to do a fair bit of urban driving so a smaller frame is kind of the selling point for me. I am also considering a Ford F series.

That said anyone actually own one? How has it been for you? How is the ride, performance? Is it as reliable as nissans are known to be? Thanks!

2. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

I had an '03 xterra for a few years, which is basically the same vehicle only instead of a pickup bed, it's got a backseat. It was a rock solid truck, extremely cable offroad from the factory, rides pretty smoothe for a truck...i've heard the newer ones ride more like a car and a bit smoother. Extremely reliable. Never had an issue out of it...BAD gas mileage in the older ones (12-13mpg city , and 18-19mpg hwy) ......I miss that thing....

What year models have you been looking at?

3. low_down

low_down Loaded Pockets

As a technician, I would steer clear of a frontier or any Nissan in general.

4. SponzyParadox

something in the 2005 on up model years with lowish milage

and low_down why is that reliability or are they just a pain to work on?

5. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I drive a 2003 Frontier, so I'm not sure if you want to go that far back. Mine just turned 70,000 miles and I've had it three years (lousy pic below). The ride is great for a truck. I have the extended cab with an automatic, which seems to ride a bit smoother than the single cab with the standard tranny. It's a very tight truck with no rattles. The performance is what you would expect from a small truck. It has pretty good get-up-and-go if you put your foot into it, but the rear end is geared more for towing and the mileage in town is what you'd expect (not a guzzler, but not a gas sipper either). I'll say this about it's reliability - I don't worry about it breaking at all. This is my third Nissan Truck, and the last one made 176,000 miles before I traded it. I fully expect this one to go there and beyond as well. I love my truck!

My frame of reference with Fords is not that recent. My truck before the three Nissans was a '93 full-size Bronco. My wife and I have also had (at different times in our lives) a '77 F-150, a '78 F-150, a '77 Thunderbird, an '85 Lincoln Town Car, a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII, and a '93 Aerostar. There is a reason we no longer drive Fords. I can say all three Nissans have been far and away more reliable than the Fords. Every Ford we ever had ended up with lots of mechanical problems and ended up dying of transmission or drive train problems no matter what maintenance and care was done. Hopefully they have worked out a lot of the mechanical glitches in more recent years.

One other consideration in the urban environment - It's a lot easier to park a mid-size Nissan than a full-size pickup.

So long story short, my one data point and personal preference is NISSAN! That's where my money is going. Good luck with whatever you decide on! Let us know. :D

[​IMG]

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

didn't the newer xterra stop using the Frontier chassis?

7. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

I THINK the newer body style xterra and the new frontier are different chassis....but my knowledge is of the gen 1 and gen 1.5..... So I'm not 100% sure....I'm sure someone else who knows more can chime in.

ran23 likes this.
  8. low_down

low_down Loaded Pockets

I've seen a lot of rusted out fuel tanks, they always seem to be in the shop for something and its never been a quick or simple fix. Here is an example of the standard Nissan car I see on a regular basis.

[​IMG]

9. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

My brother in law bought a Exterra 5-6 years ago, daily driver year round in Canada. He loves it an has had no issues at all with it. I am considering the Frontier as my future truck because of it. Keep in mind every one has their own opinion about the best cars, trucks, bikes etc. I am a Dodge guy and I am constantly getting into it with my Ford driving buddies. I am driving an SUV and miss the pickup bed, but I don't want full size in the city. Love the Tacomas, hate the price tag. The frontier just seems to be a good choice based on a family members experience.

10. cjohnston

cjohnston Banned

Had my 02 X for 10 years. 160k and counting. Very reliable, good vehicle. Nissans have a good rep, but not as good as Toyotas or Hondas. Which is curious when Toyotas are constantly being recalled and Honda tranny's fail at 92k like clockwork. I wouldn't trade my Nissan for either. Another Jeep however....

ItsHardToKnow and 6_String_Jams like this.
  11. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

I'm with low_down (also a technician:)) and from what I've seen, they are lacking in a few areas. Parts will be up to snuff in some areas and then WAY under built in other areas, for real work. If you want a truck to commute with, get a car. If you want an awesome truck for heavy work, get a Ford (be way on top of maintenance or it'll bite you). If you want pretty heavy lifting truck that's more forgiving maintenance wise, get a Chevy. This all of course is my 2 pennies so get whats right for you ;)

Wolfhound0023 likes this.
  12. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

dont know if the frames are similar, but think the engines/trannys are
    but
    i have an 03 pathfinder currently. Had it for almost 5 years now (paid off in the next month or two!!!!)
    I've put LOTS of miles on it (had a job that had me driving 1000mi a week + racing trips that might be up to 12 hours away) and its been pretty dang good.
    I really do like it, but the gas sucks and its got little quirks that might be due to mileage and wear.

in the past five years the only issues i've had have been:
    had to replace radiator, it was clogged badly, cost me 200 bucks total including labor etc
    had to replace cats - that was little more expensive lol
    and had to replace the u-joint recently - u joint+tire rotation+obd2 inspection was 125 bucks with labor

gas mileage - average 20-22 total. if im all highway i can do closer to 24/25, all city though will drop it quick!

pulls a trailer fine, but if its an enclosed bike trailer (7x10 and 6 tall) then gas drops LOTS! down to 9/10mpg - the trailer is so tall that it sticks up a few feet above roof of truck.

has done fine in the snow its been in, but all thats been at most 4" of snow, nothing crazy

sometimes if i drive, stop, and then try to crank it within a few minutes it sort of stumbles with its idling
    also, if i crank it and turn it off before it warms up much (say for just 1-2 minutes max) then it'll run rough the next time i crank it for about 20 seconds. Done that since i bought it with 80k miles on it.

mine has the 3.5 VQ motor in it with auto tranny, 4x4
    im approaching 200k on it
    truly it is a good vehicle and i dont plan to get rid of it anytime soon - i like it and im broke lol
    id buy a frontier based off my experience with the pathfinder

13. SponzyParadox

I have never had good luck with chevys, had a blazer that was nothing but problems, I do love my fords, I have had a focus, my current ride is an escape, and if they had a good midsized truck I'd take it. But they are all so friggin huge. The size factor is what really is the deciding factor. My job brings me everywhere from urban settings to east bumf**k. While the on the highway and in the country a bigger truck would be fine they are a nightmare in the city. So I went looking for one in the size and found the Toyota Tacoma? and the Nissan Frontier the numbers clearly point to the frontier. And I have never heard anything but good things about nissans.

So all that said:
    What are the other problems ya'll are seeing? Anything with the powertrain, suspension, or is it just rusting issues?
    Bearing the size requirements in mind, do you have any recommendations (any make and model)?

14. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've had none of the above with my Frontier.

15. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Unless you are going used the midsize market is pretty limited. I may be wrong but aren't the Toyota and Nissan the only new ones for this year and the Colorado comes back next year I think.

We have a Taco at work. Gives us zero issues and I don't know a frontier owner, but as I said above I know xterra owners and they are solid. From there it is a Coke Pepsi debate and a definite cost difference.

Forgot the Ridgeline........ Oh right truck talk.

16. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Sponzy, do you do your own maintenance or take it to a shop? If you do your own, see how much "fun":rolleyes: it is to change the oil for starters. If its a pain, you probably wont do it as often as you should and I don't care who makes the truck, un-cared for they will all die early and become costly nightmares.

17. SponzyParadox

No I don't that is something I happily outsource I don't save any money doing it myself.

That is what I thought, I will keep looking.

evolutionglitch likes this.