1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NiMH 'Eneloop' rechargable cells... anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by happygypsy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. happygypsy

happygypsy Loaded Pockets

I'm about to invest in some rechargable batteries for my flashlight collection. After reading lots of posts here about Li-ion rechargables and reading lots of stuff I didn't really understand over on CPF, I haven't found much mention of Eneloop cells.

I'm just looking for advice about best practices for using/recharging these cells. Is it dangerous to use them till the very last drop of power? Is it necessary to check voltages and match voltages with one of those ZTS thingies?

I've been using either primary alkalines or Energizer lithiums in my AA lights so far, would I notice an output difference using eneloops in something like my nitecore D10 on high?

Any advice welcome, I'm obviously new at this and I don't want to destroy any of my lights by being dumb with batteries!

2. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Not dangerous, but it might damage the cells. Voltage checking is not necessary, but it's a good idea to use cells with similar levels of charge, otherwise they'll discharge unevenly and one will run down to nothing before the other. Again, it's not dangerous, but not good for the cells. Just use cells you have charged at the same time and there won't be any trouble.

And invest in a charger that has individual channels for each cell. Not one of those that chargers two or (gasp!) even four cells in sets.

Little or no difference to the lithiums, but they'll last a lot longer than alkalines.

EDITed to add: Eneloops are very good. GP Recykos are equally good, if they are easier/cheaper for you to find (e.g. I can buy Recykos in the local supermarket). Eneloops are a bit thinner, so they fit better in some lights. Both fit just fine in my Nitecore, though.

4. happygypsy

happygypsy Loaded Pockets

Thanks Valolammas :)

5. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I bought my first pack of Eneloops yesterday, and just saw that it reads "charge only with a Sanyo specified charger" on the outside of the cells.
    How serious is that? Do you recommend using an Eneloop charger or will any NiMH charger do?

6. rycen

rycen Loaded Pockets

I have charged them in other charger without a problem.

7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

In the end eneloops are just NiMH cells, treat em like such and you should be just fine.

8. Black Rose

Black Rose Loaded Pockets

I use the Maha C-9000, Maha C-800S, and Duracall Mobile Charger to charge my fleet of Eneloop cells.

Most of the Eneloop chargers available now are not as good as they were when the Eneloops first arrived on the scene.

EDIT: In case anyone was not aware, the white top, Made In Japan, Duracell Pre-Charged batteries are relabelled Eneloops and are somewhat easier to find.