1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nikkon D40

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ssmtbracer, Mar 29, 2010.

1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just bought one of these brand new in box off ebay for the wife for her birthday on 4-23 of course gave it to her early but I have never had a camera this nice WOW the pictures it take are awesome. I actually like to take pictures with it. Not that I did not like doing it before but this bad boy makes it that more fun. Here is a sample
    [​IMG]

2. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I love mine. Had it for a couple of years. I recently bought the new 35mm 1.8 AF-S DX, an excellent lens for the money.

3. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I've had a d40x for years now and love it. Definitely pick yourself a nice 35mm 1.4 or 1.8, the faster the better but whatever you can afford, you won't be disappointed with a 1.8. I have the Nikor 18-200mm VR as well and that is my most common lens, definitely worth the cash, and I also carry a Sigma 10-20mm, it is my best friend!
    Make sure whatever you buy is marked AF-D (if Nikon lens) because the D40 does not have a focusing motor. You must buy the correct digital lens to allow for AF.

4. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

Obihann had a lapsus ;D
    if you want to retain AF make sure to buy AFS lenses (the ones with integrated focusing motor)
    Nikkor lenses AF and AF-D will not have autofocus on D40-D40x-D60-D3000-D5000 as these cameras don't have the internal focusing motor, but the exposure metering will still work flawlessy.

5. mango_420

mango_420 Loaded Pockets

AFS is correct. I have a d60. Got a heck of a deal on craigslist on mine from someone who'd rather have a point-shoot with the 18-200 mm lens as an extra. Its a great camera for entry level DSLR photography- which is the extent of my abilities.

First time I used it was last summed at the air show in Sioux Falls SD. The new F-22 raptor performed and so did the Blue Angels and ended up taking 1395 pictures. On ONE battery!

A little iPhoto magic and u can fix a lot of the imperfections.

I'd recommend a polarizing lens to throw on there. Helps to get those great landscaping photos over water. Just my 2 pesos worth.

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Got the wife the d60 for her birthday but we are no photographers so it will be a learning curve! coming from a point and snap style

7. swissgnr

swissgnr Loaded Pockets

I've had my D40 for a few years. It's been a great and solid DSLR. Enjoy!

8. Crazyman

Crazyman Loaded Pockets

I agree, the D40 is very well worth the price! I've since upgraded my gear, but it was a solid camera.

9. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I started into DSLR with a d40x, too, and really loved it. If you are into sharp, close up pictures of small objects consider the Nikon 105mm Macro - it's spendy, but you'll still be using it long after you've moved on to a cooler camera body.

10. bhuber

bhuber Loaded Pockets

Another D40 user here. I've found the the lower megapixel than the x model is not an issue for what I use it for. I researched a lot on Ken rockwell's site. I carry it in a nice sling bag by Tamrac with a 15-55 and a 55-200 glass. I would love to have the 18-200, but for now, those will do. I use the 55-200 most of the time at my kids ball games.