1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nifty chain

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by rasbora, Nov 10, 2007.

1. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know what this stuff is called, or better, a source? I got it on an utterly crap promotional keychain, but it's really kind of nice stuff, a few links and two little split rings gives anything bulkier than a key a few degrees of freedom to adapt to a pocket and not stab or bend things. Only problem is, I can't for the life of me find the right name to search for if anyone sells the stuff.

Attached Files:

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

rasbora,

I can't identify your chain but I do know of something similar intended for keychain use.

Berkeley Point has this Key Chain Kit which uses a small stainless steel chain.

Perhaps it would work for you, if you are unable to locate the chain in your photo.

Dan

3. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Yeah, thanks, though I've seen that, and I'm really not too keen on the toilet float/sash/'furnace chain'. That flat stamped & folded stuff is what I've been running across on every google for this stuff, and aside from in personal opinion looking really awful, in my experience with it, (though not BP's specifically) it tends to 'bind' at tight angles, while what I'm looking for is fairly difficult to do that with, and will return to hanging straight under its own weight for as few as three or four links no matter how it was 'coiled' or crumpled setting things down.

The other use I've seen is dog choke collars and leashes, and wallet chains/punk rock anything chains, only with a much larger link than this. This is about a 1/4 inch long link, formed from ~1/16 wire, pressed so the links twist and lay flat (pressed hard enough the links actually have deformed flats on them.)

4. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Empty Pockets

You can buy it by the foot at most hardware stores.. Our small local stores have it, so I'm sure a home depot or lowes would have it....

G.

5. JoeBob

JoeBob Empty Pockets

Just bought three feet of that at Ace HW for 89 cents per foot.
    I had about 8 inches left over, hadn't thought about edc uses.
    Keychain, here I come! ;D

6. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Well, I hit upon the key to the search finally. Jewellry chain, not industrial chain, so searched jewelry sites. It seems to be what's known as "Flattened Curb Chain." Apparently "Curb Chain" is a general category that includes most of the bent to lay flat varieties, and gets the name from an item of horse tack. Most of the jewellry supply outfits I've looked at don't sell stainless, or even chromed steel, but every variety of plate on 'base metal' under the sun, but oddly enough a Catholic supply company does, fairly cheap. Probably order it from them once I can figure out which of the several sizes they sell best fits. For the curious, Stainless Flattened Curb Chain

As for hardware stores, I haven't been able to find anything this small at the HomeSquareBaseThing or the local True Value.

7. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest, like in the picture, one of the smallest split rings from Lighthound (where I bought mine, they refer to it as a #5, it's about 5/16 OD, but whatever from wherever that works, obviously) at each end, though forcing a split ring that small wide enough for the photon light loop means it doesn't quite spring closed again, but not enough to matter. (i actually have two of these, peanut lighter on the one in the photo, photon freedom on the other)

8. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Just for scale, rather than the macro for ID purposes, here's a shot of the whole deal.

Attached Files:

• keys.jpg
      keys.jpg
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I've done something similar on my keychain for a DX peanut lighter, Fox Micro 40 and safety pins, but I used fishing swivels instead of pieces on chain. Just be sure that you get good, sturdy swivels like the SPRO in-line or ball-bearing swivels.

10. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

SPRO inline swivels are the best EVER! They also have 90Lb split rings. Also my berkley point keychain kit has never given me any binding troubles.

11. edcnutz

edcnutz Empty Pockets

I've come across these. ;D See the pics:

Chain:

[img width=640 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/photo_gallery_for_me/CandlePowerForums/DSC06742.jpg[/img]

Keyring:
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/photo_gallery_for_me/CandlePowerForums/DSC06744.jpg[/img]

12. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

I have a few keychains like that, they begin to deform @ 25 lbs.
    Good if you are needing a breakaway link on a teather.