1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Ni Hao Ma" Hello From Singapore (Updated with pictures)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Himbo, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Discovering this forum is one of the best turns in the last few months. I mean, where else can I find a whole COMMUNITY of junkies for well-made flashlights, knives, multitools, bags and other assorted "to-die-for" gear that have the magical ability to empty our wallets faster than you can say E-D-C?

A big hello from someone halfway around the world who never fails to draw a "WOW!!! that's a bright torch you've there", only to be followed by the inevitably wide-eyed "You COLLECT flashlights??? Knives even??? Multitools???..." Thank God most of them trail off at that... Don't have a collection approaching most of the regulars here but ppl can dream rite?

Really enjoy devouring the posts on the forum, esp. the pictures!!! Man, someday I wish I can afford a Sebbie clipped in my pocket. My only complaint: Too many posts to go through them all! This is really a vibrant community. It's GR8 knowing I'm not the only weirdo around with a, to put it mildly, "interesting" hobby. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the best compliment I can pay EDCF is you're now on my Bookmark toolbar! Though my wallet will certainly find that difficult to stomach but I digress...

Any other Singapore-based EDCFers?

And yes, I do reminisce mid-west weather. Back home, its 90 and above all year round. At least you guys get to see the leaves change color come fall.

Bill.

P.S.: Ni Hao Ma is the romanized Chinese phrase for the ubiquitous American greeting: How're you doing?

2. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Re: "Ni Hao Ma" Hello From Singapore

Welcome, Himbo! I look forward to learning more about your collections.

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forums. What gear do you carry?

4. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Hi guys...

In answer to "What gear", on my person rite now:

In My leather key pouch:
    1) Photon Freedom
    2) Swisstech Utili-Key
    3) Mini eyeglass screwdriver
    4) House and office keys

Card holder wallet:
    5) Victorinox Swiss card classic (the one without the imho, uselessly dim LED light)
    6) Alcohol swipes and band aids
    7) ID + driver's license

Fanny pack:
    8) Bible with zebra mini pen-pencil zipped in
    9) Victorinox minichamp II
    10) Kowell Flat nailclipper
    11) Band aids + alcohol swipes
    12) Spare batteries (AA)
    13) Coin pouch
    14) Ear plugs
    15) Multifunction card tool (diff. to describe, will take a pict to show you guys)
    16) Iriver mp3 player with ER-6i in-ears
    17) Moleskin notepad
    18) Lip balm
    19) Tissue paper

Pockets:
    20) Bike key
    21) Columbia coin pouch (so they don't rattle) containing
    22) Tape measure and
    23) Leatherman Squirt S4

That's abt it. Adding the following items when I mod the fanny pack
    24) Small lighter
    25) Victorinox Cybertool
    26) Fenix P3D-CE/Inova X1
    27) Small folder (RSK M1 mini?)

Will post picts + more after work later...

5. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

:welcome: aboard, Himbo!! That's a lot of carry!

Larry

6. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to EDCF, Himbo! :highfive:

That's one comprehensive list of EDC gear! Looking forward to the pics!

7. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Welcome Himbo!

As Lugsalot mentioned, that IS one heck of a list...gives me a few ideas on things to add to my EDC bag....

:cheers:

8. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

Welcome Himbo, you surely carry a lot of interesting gear!

O0

9. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Nice setup.

Welcome to the EDCF family!! :highfive:

10. lonewolf67

lonewolf67 Empty Pockets

Nice introduction. Welcome aboard and have a nice time!

11. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. Going out for a ride... so pictures will have to wait till tomorrow. Cheers.

12. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Welcome!

Dan

:)

13. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I think this is the right place for you...

:welcome:
    Luigi

14. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Right. Pictures as promised. Here's my regular EDC, assembled. (Click on thumbnail to see full size)

[​IMG]

I try to keep the number of loose items (which go in my front pockets) to a minimal. My female friends made me a devout convert of the mantra "bulging pockets are ugly". My pockets still bulge a little though. :lolhammer:

Another consideration: Nothing sharp or potentially injurious in them (the keys go on the bike when I ride). Heard many horror stories of riders suffering injuries from items in their pockets/bags. This is the main reason for the fanny pack.

Now for a brief description of each item + purchase price (more for me to keep track of the size of the hole in my pocket). Note that the entire kit was purchased before discovering EDCF, and I'm already overwhelmed with ideas on upgrading it.

1) Eagle Creek fanny pack (purchased 4 yrs ago, probably discontinued. ~$20)

Here's another shot showing the items contained within the fanny pack and more. (Click on thumbnail to see full size)

[​IMG]

Starting columnwise, top left corner down:

2) Nokia 6111 (ultra compact, but reliability suspect. Note the cute <a href="http://j-trends.blogspot.com/2007/03/pentel-watercolor-tube-mini-ball-point.html">Pentel Watercolor Tube Mini Ball Point Pen</a> clipped to its neoprene cover. ~$140)

3) Card sized SS multitool with a mini blade, can opener, flat screwdriver, 7-position wrench, rule, saw, protractor. ($5)

4) Tissue paper and wet swipes for eyeglasses and helmet visor. ($1)

5) Coin and loose notes pouch (formerly a Sony ear plug pouch)

6) Iriver I-795 512 MB MP3 player. (Rugged, very durable with good sound. Recent firmware update converts it into a p&p USB drive. Purchased new when it first broke into market. Tad overpriced at $200)

7) Foam ear plugs. NRR 33 db. In case I forget my mp3. (Free, supply from friend who works on offshore drilling platforms)

8) Alcohol swipes and bandaids in protective cover. ($1)

9) Batteries (AA) for mp3 player in waterproof bag. (Free, supply from friend who gets to take home old, unsold stock)

10) Etymotic ER-6i in-ear buds. Hands down the best noise isolating buds for use under helmets. ($65)

11) Alain Delon Key pouch. I switched to a pouch so I can carry them in my pocket if the fanny's not with me. Keys don't jiggle and I'm less likely to be hurt if I fall. With the exception of my bike keys, all other keys, electronic and otherwise, are contained within. They include a cash card (my 'key' to Singapore's pay-per-use roads downtown), a 'tap to go' stored value card (my 'key' to the subway and buses), a 'tap to go' access card, house keys, office keys, swisstech utilikey, micro screwdrivers, blue (the brightest!) photon freedom, and 2 lucky coins. (Gift, cost in total probably ~$40)

12) SAK minichamp II /w pen and Kowell flat nail cutter. These are clipped onto the fanny. ($45)

13) Bike keys with Suzuki key fob and Columbia neoprene coin pouch used to contain: ($10)

14) Leatherman Squirt S4 and tape measure ($20)

15) Compact NASB bible containing Zebra minipen and pencil set ($35)

16) Picard card holder containing 2 credit cards, 1 atm card, 1 fuel rebate card, license, ID, 2 discount cards, photos, band aids, alcohol swipe, SAK swiss card, waterproof writing paper and of course cash. Converted from a full size wallet in my gradual attempt to pare down my kit. I'll never go back to a wallet again. ($45)

Not shown but often carried:
    * Waterproof aloksak (In fanny pack, to protect keys, cards, phone and mp3 player riding through rain) ($3)

* Chantal Eyeglasses ($100)/Serengeti Kiska Sunglasses ($65) in flat case (both titanium and very light)

* Moleskine notepad (In fanny pack) ($5)

* Casio Exilim Z-750 used to take these pictures. Replaces the bible when carried.

Planned upgrades:
    * Mcfeely's Pocketwrench II

* SAK RescueTool

* Spare photon freedom

* Swisstech mcro-pro/Leatherman Squirt P4

* Spec-Ops pocket organizer

No knives, guns, tasers, stun guns, tearjerkers, kubatons etc etc. All banned items in Singapore.

So there you have it. Lightweight, slim, easy on, easy off street rider EDC.

EDCFers, your comments/suggestions on improving this much appreciated.

15. Care

Care Empty Pockets

Very nice!

Care