1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mc1130, Nov 19, 2016.

1. mc1130

mc1130 Loaded Pockets

What is the smallest functional knife for an EDC? I am in an office environment most of the time but need something more durable on the weekends?

Also, what are your thoughts about clip vs non clip?

Thanks.

2. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

2 knives! LOL

If you want 1 knife to do it all, I would suggest a SAK. The biggest size you find comfortable for office carry is probably going to be fine for weekends. There is something about a SAK that most people find non-threatening. I've always felt you can get away with a larger blade size on a SAK han most knives.

LivingUpNorth and Dirty Rod like this.
  3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

It's one of those personal pref questions. "Functional" in an office can be as small as a 1" blade if you are only opening the mail but whether that's a SAK or something else depends on whether you want or need screwdrivers, bottle openers, etc. I go a bit bigger and carry both a SAK and larger folder because things also happen on the way to and from work that require more knife. Outside of work requires even more.

Clip or no clip also depends on how you want to carry. If you have lots of other things in your pocket (keys, phone, flashlight, money, etc) you may not want to have to dig for your knife if you need it especially if you need it a lot.

4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

SAK's are the go to do it all knife. I like the ALOX designs as they are slimmer, nicer looking, and easier to carry (lighter and slimmer).

If you didn't want a SAK, Spyderco has some decent smaller knives that can still do amazing hard tasks. The ladybug and dragonfly are nice smaller knives that are still capable of getting tough tasks done, especially in the serrated versions.

Traditional multi-blade knives are another good idea for a knife that can do it all. I like the Stockman pattern that typically has one long clip point blade and two smaller blades.

As far as clip vs. no clip, for an office/dressed up in public carry, I prefer to keep my edc out of sight, so no clips. However, I do love clips on my knives as it makes them much quicker to bring into action. With most knives with clips, the clip can be removed by unscrewing a few screws, so if you don't like the clip, you can always take it off.

One option you could use is a dangler instead of a clip. I have a tec p-7 with a gate clip on it. When I want my Victorinox Cadet clipped for easy access, I have it on the P-7, but I can easily remove it for having the Cadet deeper in my pocket when I want. My Spyderco ladybug works well on a dangler as well.

5. mc1130

mc1130 Loaded Pockets

Awesome and thanks so much guys. Great input. You all know your stuff.

Do you have any input on Benchmade Mini Stryker?

6. Retired Army

Retired Army Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Colorado.

7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Swiss Climber 2.
    Swiss Super Tinker.

8. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I second the SAK. Fantastic and non-threatening knives. I used to carry mine daily at work and it was never an issue.

Personally, I hate clips and remove them from all of my knives, even going as far as to grind off the keyring attachment on most of my SAK but that's cos mine ride in my fifth jeans pocket and the clip gets in the way.
    It's all down to personal preference and where you're going to be carrying it

9. Nick4305
    • The Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy !

10. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

What ever you like and is legal in your jurisdiction and workplace (restrictions)

11. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I work in an office and have a medium size folder clipped, an SAK on a dangler and a small "gentleman's" folder in a leather pocket slip that I use when in public viewing. Plus I just enjoy carrying and using the gear. Welcome aboard!

12. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Your question is about a month old but here's my answer:

The BM Mini Stryker is a great knife as is the BM Mini Griptilian. But, both might be too tactical looking for some work environments (you be the judge of yours).

I like the Victorinox Rambler, either in alox or not. If you want even smaller then check out the Boker Plus CLB DW-1 Folding Knife with a 1.06" Stonewashed Blade and Black Zytel Handles -- designed by one of our own Forum members. For about $20 a whole lotta knife. Slightly bigger is the Boker Plus CLB Subcom F Black Folding Knife with a 1-7/8" Blade. At ~$35 still a deal. Really you have lots of options.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Dec 15, 2016