1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Newbie..Tactical pen questions...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bryan123, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Aside from pain compliance, which I assume means stabbing someone, and breaking glass, what else can be done with a tactical pen? No need to be overly graphic btw...

I read on the net that any solid (ie metal) pen, even a Parker Jotter, could be used as a tactical pen. Wouldn't it be better for a tactical pen to have a solid blunt end, such as with a twist mechanism, as opposed to a pushbutton / click mechanism?

Based on the above I think my Retro 51 Tornado would make a better tactical pen than my pushbutton Parker Jotter.

Thanks

thekapow likes this.
  2. Roguehunter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

Aside from using it to write, twist mechanism break near the threads. It needs to a bit beefier to hold comfortably preferably with some threading on body. I have a hinderer extreme duty which is quite heavy and agressive threading. I sanded down the pointy end of the cap to be blunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Firstly, mods if you're out there, send this over to the self-defense subforum (psst, it's under the handgun forum). Brian, I believe there was a tactical pen thread there a while ago, you might be able to find it.

Pain compliance does not really mean stabbing someone. It refers to using the pen or any small cylindrical device to apply leverage while applying holds and defense moves. You wouldn't necessarily stab someone even though that's possible. The main idea is to strike pressure points or assist in joint locks. For example, you might grab my wrist with your hand. I might slip said device under your thumb, brace it against your hand or my arm, and twist. This would both force you to let go, and deliver a small bit of pain. If you grabbed the wrist that was holding my pen, I could move my hand and arm to dig the pen into the pressure points in your wrist, giving me leverage to remove your arm and get away. There are many videos on YouTube that could give you an idea of the possibilities. When searching YouTube, you might look at videos for Kubotans as well as they are a similar, but less legal device that are very similar in usage.

While any pen can be used for this purpose, heavier metal pens with a threaded cap are the best. That said, beggars cannot be choosers and I think I could use my Zebra F-701 in a pinch as that's the pen I carry at work. The problem with using a click pen is that in order to effectively strike with it, you'd have to press the clicky and extend the tip which could penetrate skin which isn't really the goal of defending with a pen. I do carry an Embassy pen from County Comm when I'm not at work and don't need to write as often. This is a large, threaded cap metal pen that uses the Space Pen cartridge. They are nice to write with and could be used for defensive purposes, but look a lot nicer and tamer than most tactical pens.

bryan123 likes this.
  4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

It looks like I have some great tactical pens that I didn't even realize I had! As a physician I collected numerous pharmacy (drug rep) pens over the years. Many of them are all metal, quite heavy, take Parker or space pen refills, and are threaded twisty rather than clicky. And with the drug logos on them, they are very discreet. I could easily see them breaking glass or functioning as a Kubotan.

5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I don't know much about busting glass, but I don't think you're going to have much success, at least against a car window, with something that doesn't have a window punch on it.

6. ScoutMedic

ScoutMedic Loaded Pockets

"I don't know much about busting glass, but I don't think you're going to have much success, at least against a car window, with something that doesn't have a window punch on it."

A Glass Breaker is built into the Gerber Impromptu Pens.... and an Alternate Blocking Device.

I have 3 of the Gerber Impromptu Pens. 1 ea. in my EDC Pack, My ZULU Nylon Truck Visor and.... my Girlfriend commandeered my 3rd.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by ScoutMedic, Sep 15, 2016
    Water-Rat likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Scout, it's difficult to figure out what I'm looking at. I'm assuming it's some sort of visor mounted organizer. What is it and where did you get it?

Edit: Hmm... guess I can't read, just saw where you said it's a Zulu truck visor.

Have you already posted other pics and a description you could send me a link to? It's funny trying to guess what's in it without being able to see much of the items. Looks like a spork, glowsticks, a Stainless Sharpie, a squirt, knife of some kind, and a couple other things.

I'm assuming the Gerber you mention is the item sticking out of the lower section of the organizer. Just looked at pics of the impromptu. Can't say I like the design. In order to get a good grip, I like to have my thumb behind the butt of the pen, but you can't do that with the impromptu I think since it's a clicky. If you did so, it would extend the pen tip which would block the window punch. Also, striking with the non-writing end looks tough because of the clicky as well, I don't think you could get much leverage with the back end of it. Think I'll stick with a threaded or twisty pen for a tougher use pen.

8. ScoutMedic

ScoutMedic Loaded Pockets

Water Rat,
    That is a Zulu Nylon Visor Organizer
    http://www.zulunylongear.com/visor.html

I mounted it ..upside down to prevent prying eyes to see whats in it when the visor is i the stowed position.... it allows me immediate access to the Gerber Impromptu , rite-in-rain pocket notebook https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Weather-Tactical-Notebooks/dp/B00BQM0UEM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1474026940&sr=8-3&keywords=rite in rain notebooks ...and DMV paperwork.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Knife is a Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Combat Folder:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Applegate-Folding-Serrated-05780/dp/B0019FHNH8
    I picked up for $5 at our local monthly TSA "impound" sharps sale. That is a leatherman squirt... you know your multi-tools. and yes again good eye a Sharpie SS.

JETbeam RRT-01 with a 6 tritium tube fob (have to be able to find it in the dark) it is the 600lu model:

Surefire HL1-A with ball cap adaptor clip
    http://www.surefire.com/helmet-light.html

Snow Peak Ti Spork with DIY paracord wrap

And 2ea write in the rain notepads next to the Pen.

As for the Gerber Impromptu:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Impromptu-Tactical-Pen-31-001880/dp/B00B0BD3W0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474027755&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber impromptu tactical pen

IMHO you really can't go wrong for $40 the heft on this pen is impressive and I have been able to write on 90% of everything I have tried due to the gas filled ink cartridge. The carbide tip does work ..I tried it out at a junkyard. as for the clickey, it works well on all 3 of mine no issues and when writing... it does not interfere with the pen cartridge tip. if I have to " real world " the glass breaker ...this pen is stout enough and has the grip to do it.
    My theory is if i ever have to break my drivers side window to escape my vehicle... it would be one fluid movement as it is already pointing towards the glass (Removal with Left hand then swing and smash). if the pen is ever used in that capacity ...and the pen cartridge is in the writing position, ruining the pen is the last thought on my mind.

As an alternate blocking device... with some well thought out training the pen has enough room (unless you have gorilla hands) to hook the attackers arm, step into his/her body while pushing their attacking arm across their chest with your empty hand on their elbow and your entire weight against their dominant arm it leaves an open ally for multiple strikes to their exposed neck, that carbide tip is ....deadly.

If you have any more questions let me know

"DocM"

Last edited by ScoutMedic, Sep 16, 2016
    John Moore and Water-Rat like this.
  9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info on your gear and the pen review.

10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I grin a little every time I see a "tactical" pen. I am 53 years old and have never once in my life been in a situation where I needed to break some glass to save my life or someone else's. Nobody I've ever known has either. Yet one of the principle selling points of a tactical pen is a hardened glass breaking element on one end or the other. Even if I ever was in a situation where I needed to break some glass sometime probably the last thing I would think of to use to do it would be...a pen.

I guess I can see a use as a kuboton type weapon, but there are a myriad of other things which would serve this purpose just as well if not better. Again, why a pen? My Leatherman Wave, held in my fist, is going to make a far more formidable hammer type weapon than a pen will, and as for compliance I don't ever intend on getting close enough to someone to need a small handheld instrument without an edge. Aside from the 'cool' factor, I just don't see a need for a tactical pen (all other EDC things considered).

I guess if someone just enjoys them for writing purposes then fine, but a tactical pen just isn't on my EDC 'gotta have' list. I can definitely see a value if one was in law enforcement where a subject might try to take refuge inside a vehicle to avoid apprehension, but outside of this what's the "point"? (pun intended) Am I missing something?

11. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

A glass breaker is a standard automobile safety tool and usually comes in the form of hammer with a seat belt cutter elsewhere on the tool. You aren't trying to break in. You're trying to break out.

[​IMG]

It's probably the norm that someone lives a whole lifetime and never needs to break glass or cut a seat belt, similar to how most fire extinguishers will rust away to nothing having never been discharged.

Moshe ben David and bryan123 like this.
  12. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Same thing with Epi pens. Most are never used thank goodness.