1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Need keychain help

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Asclepius, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Asclepius

Asclepius Empty Pockets

(crosspost from new member forum)

Hey all,

I'm trying to make my appearance onto the EDC scene. I have a current keychain setup, but in my opinion, it kind of sucks. I feel like it is big and too spread out, and it kind of clumps together in a big mess at the bottom of my pants pocket. Attached is a picture of my current setup, with the following items:

• Mechanic's wire key ring
    • LED light from County Comm
    • Quick Disconnect key ring
    • Swiss Tech 4-in-1 screwdrivers
    • Swiss Army knock-off keychain tool
    • ResQMe

I plan on getting a Leatherman minitool of some sort to replace the little keychain tool that already exists (Either the micra or the squirt or something like that).

My thoughts on why it sucks right now include that maybe the Mechanic's ring make the whole thing too big, OR maybe I should get one of those clips that is in the forum store so that the keyring doesn't sag to the bottom of my pocket but is help up by the clip.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone think I should get a real LED flashlight in substitution for the little squirt I have currently?

Thank you!

- Asclepius

P.S. Sorry in advance if the image is huge.

[​IMG]

2. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

By all means get the Tec P-7 suspension clip. Your tools will hang nicely and not form wad of tools at the bottom of your pocket.

3. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

I just got the Tec P-7 and love it. It is nice to know exactly where my keys (and anything on my keyring) is and be able to get it quickly.

As for the light, I have an led light on my keychain and a small flashlight in my pocket as well.

4. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

yep the p7 suspension clip does help to spread out the pocket bulge.

I would also suggest getting rid of quick-disconnect fob. I find they add a lot of weight and bulk for what they do. Instead I would suggest finding a lanyard clip from somewhere, get a small s-biner or buy a mcgizmo-type clip.

[​IMG]

By all means buy a leatherman squirt/micra if it interests you. However, you've got to consider whether you will really end using all the tools on the leatherman. If not, maybe you should consider a small swiss army knife, or just carry what you need. Personally I find the leatherman squirt a little too heavy for my liking. Do you know what tools you will use the most?

With the keychain light, it really depends on what you want to use it for and whether you EDC another larger light. If you do EDC a larger light, what you've got should suffice. Also, if you only need your flashlight to light up short distances (finding dropped items, opening the door), it should also suffice. If you want something that will light up medium distances, maybe you should get a brighter keychain light. Doing so will likely add more bulk and weight to your keyring.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

it took years years till i finally landed on my perfect key chain set-up,, unfortunelly what works for me probably is not going to work for you.. there is a threat here at has about of keychain set-ups, and that should help you with your needs..

i did the mechanics ring, and the two sided take apart key ring..and so many others.. now i use a shackle to hold all my keys and small mcgimzo clips and small split rings for my key tools.. i dont edc a light or multitool on my keys.. they are for belt and/or pocket carry for me........