1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here. Surefire M6 a good 1st surefire?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by tipubuta, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

Hello all,
    Newbie here. Any input/advice on my 1st choice Surefire?

I have seen it up close and personal and also played with one recently and now I have an oppurtunity to actually get one at a special price, so Is there a rechargeable solution for this light? 20 min on HOLA looks very expensive but the output is outstanding.

Appreciate all comments.

TipuButa... :)

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

I guess it really all depends on what you want the light to do for you. SureFire is a great brand, with lots of different choices in lights. If you need 500 lumens I suppose the M6 is probably the way to go, especially if you are getting a good deal on one. Don't know much about the light personally, never used one. Whether there are 3rd-party aftermarket rechargeable solutions for it, dunno... you might check out Candlepower Forums. There are a lot of M6 users there

3. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

A Surefire M6 would not be my choice for my first Surefire. In my opinion the M6 is a special application tool. I would love to have one for my collection, and just to have a crazy bright light. But for me it is not practical.

Do you NEED 500 lumens? The flashlight itself is cheap compared to all the 123s it is going to gobble up. Approximately $27/hour to operate on high output at an average $1.50/ cell ordered online. One dozen batteries would last 40 minutes.

For my purposes at this point I would go with a LED Surefire product. Plenty bright, longer runtime.

I don't know if there is a rechargeable solution for the M6. If I remember correctly some of the LED flashlights like the U2 may be able to use a 18650 if they fit inside. Might require some modding. You definitely should check out Candlepower forums with regards to that question.

Some rechargeable lithium batteries require care when charging i.e. unprotected lithium cells. Something to be aware of.

Surefire does offer some rechargeable flashlights, you may want to consider those.

Ask yourself what you are going to be using the light for. It certainly is an impressive WOW light. It would probably be my first choice in that regard.

However.. if you found a deal on an M6 you can't pass up... go for it.

Let us know what you decide. When you get it post pics!!!

Mark

4. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

What are you going to use the light for? For general use, no it's not a good choice for a first SureFire. There are several rechargeable solutions but it's best to be familiar with flashlights and how they work before going the rechargeable route. Some more information on what you want the light to do will help us make suggestions.

5. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Long answer:

I totally agree with bigfoot. Do you have other lights? Will the M6 fill a special niche in your job or collection?

Personally, I prefer LED lights. That said, the M6 is one of the only incandescent lights I own. I've also owned a couple of A2's and e2e's (still have one of each). Out of all of those, and assuming your needs are mostly "general" or "utilitarian", I'd recommend the A2. You get decent brightness (plus regulated output, which is pretty much unheard from an incan), and a low level LED beam as well.

As far as rechargeable options for the M6, check out this thread - by far the best description of all rechargeable options for the M6. The only rechargeable pack not mentioned there, I think, is the M6-R. That was made by js over at CPF. A few units are out in the wild but they require constant maintenance and he hasn't made any more.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=204157

As far as alternative lamps for the M6, you can use the MN15. It'll give you 200 lumens or so for about 2.5 hours. That's less than half the output of the MN21, but the extended runtime makes up for it, IMO.

Short answer: Not unless you have a specific use for it.

6. sak_collector

sak_collector Empty Pockets

Ack, thats an expensive one to operate. Yes you can get a 200-ish lumen lamp for it with a one hour runtime. You can get something like a Fenix TK10 with longer runtime on 2 batteries. And of course with the M6 one day you will have to replace the lamp...another 30 bucks. I would go for a LED SF, something like the E2DL is a great light and impressively bright.

If however you got plenty of money to burn and you just want a cool toy, the M6 maybe for you.

7. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

First of thanks for the input guys.

greenLed, candlepower forums have alot of information and I thank you for steering me there.

Yes indeed the M6 is quite expensive to run however over the years, having used m*glights, its no different. When a mate of mine who worked with a local distributor came a calling the other day at my orchard, that's when I fell in love with the incan power such as the M6. Much Much better than the mags ever be.

I travel alot to rural areas and i require a powerful light that is both reliable and bright and hardy. I have considered leds previously but its not effective in misty areas, where incans fare better. In the jungle environment, the incan would be much suited. However I do admire leds with their long runtime and indestructable led technology plus small form factor.

Call me old skool but I much prefer incan. Anyway I will be spending more time at cpf as there are alot of information to digest.

8. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

After reading up some info from CPF, I might be able to get a rechargeable option as below

1) Lumen factory bulb HO-M6R with 6xR123 or 3x17670.

and 2) welch allyn 01185 bi pin with 3x17670 but requires a holder and bi pin socket by cpf member Fivemega.

The latter having highest output, review conducted by cpf member DM51.

I am looking at getting the option (2) which looks viable for the M6. Locally SF cells go like $3.30 a pop, which equats $19.80 for 20 minutes on the MN21 HOLA bulb......

9. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Happy to help, tipubuta.

Where are you located? Since you made the jump over to CPF, check out my CPF Specials thread over at the CPF Marketplace. I list vendors who offer discounts to CPF members. You can buy good quality 123's for little over $1 through them.

Do tell us your experience with those rechargeable options. I've been on the fence on those for a while.

10. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Tipubuta, you're getting alot of good advice. That particular SureFire is heavy duty for a first light. Kinda like getting an RV to drive as soon as you get your license, or getting a samurai sword when you wanted a SAK, or having Paris Hilton as your first girlfriend. Good luck with you search.

If you stick around on this forum, I have a feeling you'll end up having more than one flashlight!

11. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

It's not rechargeable, but people have been running the M3's MN15 lamp in their M6s. It's not as bright as the M6 HOLA, but it gives about two hours of runtime. I'll try to find the thread.

EDIT: Here we go. The M6 "X-LOLA." 200ish lumens for 2.5 hours. Discussion here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142517

12. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

greenLED,
    I'm located in Malaysia. I'll check out your recommendations. Thanks. As for the rechargeable options available for the M6, well I've yet to decide the route I am to take. Of course the most reliable setup I would imagine would be he Lumens Factory bulb as it was purposely built for rechargeables. Checked their website last night and their Ho-M6R is like $26, which is cheaper than SF's.

KeyGrip,
    Yes I saw this review also. But cost wise, running this setup may not be that cheap. Furthermore instaflash were reported by some users. Its still using primaries and its still going to cost me $19.80 but for 2 to 2.5 hours runtime. By adding a little bit more, I can purchase rechargeables + a suitable charger.......emm, lets sleep on it.

Have a great weekend.....

13. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

By all means, use what works best for you. Just out of curiosity, what other lights have you used for this job?

14. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

15. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

Just to update.

For my M6 project, I think the hot wire set using WA 01185 is the wisest choice, 2nd would be the LF-HO-M6R route.

So I ordered Fivemega's 3x17670 battery holders and bi-pin socket, batteries and charger from AW and some bulbs from Litho.

When they arrive I'll put up a review on it...

16. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Excellent! Looking forward to your first-hand impressions.

17. Solscud007

Solscud007 Empty Pockets

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE HERE. Get a M6. I got one after I got a G2Z and G2L. Best light EVER!!!! I didnt do any research. I was on the market for a M3 then found my M6 on clearance for $270. that is jsut a little bit more than a new M3. so sure why not? then I started seeing more and more posts about the M6 on CPF and it just re-affirmed my conscience that it was a sound purchase. Do I need one? No. but It is nice to have a bright :censored: light. I have yet to go rechargeable but I do have a M3 head with MN10 and the MN15 bulbs for long life. but is is just so satisfying out shining my boss' 15 million candle power HID light with my M6. haha