1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Newbie from Bristol, UK - Now with EDC Kit listed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ghostyjack, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

ghostyjack Loaded Pockets

@ redandshane. Bath nicer than Bristol? Sacrilege! :)

@ Ironside. Fishponds is not far from me, I'm from Filton. I cycle to Fishpond to jump on the cycle path to Bath.

Once again thanks for all the welcomes.

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. mbrass101

mbrass101 Loaded Pockets

Greetings from Bridgwater. Which is worse than Bristol and Bath ;)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

bjshep likes this.
  3. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

And now for the kit.

I find that EDC means different things for different people, and the location and reason for the kit causes a wide range of different configurations.

My kit is based on urban city life with a job in IT working with hardware. I need to transition this to my new job working in software testing, so it is going to need a few changes. I also want to make it easy to change out items for when outside of work.

First up, my pocket carry (sorry about the graininess, I'm not the best photographer in the world).

[​IMG]

Items:
    HTC One X - It's a nice Android handset, not the best anymore, but still rocking.
    CWC G10 watch on a NATO band - This is a vintage model from 1989 that was issued to the Navy (I think) and was worn in action in the first Gulf War, it's since been refurbished for my use. The strap is a so-called James Bond style, this though is in fact wrong as his stripes were different colours. I like to wear this one on dress-down days in work and as my out-of-work watch.
    Invicta 3644 Speedway - This is my watch for normal work wear and for more formal occasions. Love this watch.
    Orange-branded leather foldable double pass holder - Got this when I worked for Orange, use it now to hold my train pass and tickets.
    Tuff Luv Pull-N-Pay wallet - It's a bifold wallet with a decent coin pocket and an ingenious slot in the note section that you put a card in so if you pull a small tab (just behind the blue bit of my debit card) it pulls the whole card out. Useful for frequently used card.

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Never been to Bridgewater, but you are nicely placed between the Mendips and the Quantocks, so have thought of dropping down there for a walking holiday.

How's the weather holding up there, hope you didn't get hit too bad being near to the edge of the Somerset Levels.

5. Templar

Templar Loaded Pockets

G10 (for men). I used to have an issue one exactly like that, one of the best watches I have ever owned. And now sadly gone.

They seem to think that this is an accurate strap for the Bond one (although I actually prefer your one)
    [​IMG]

But all this aside, welcome from Sussex!

ghostyjack likes this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

7. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Now for my work bag.

[​IMG]

The bag is a Hazard 4 Kato with a stealthed Union Jack patch on it.

[​IMG]

Modifications made are:
    1. Added a Hazard 4 water bottle pouch on the side molle panel.
    2. Hazard 4 Sub Pod hard sunglasses pod attached to the water bottle pouch.
    3. Maxpedition Monkey admin pouch attached to the molle panel under the flap. Fits this area perfectly.
    4. Replaced the shoulder strap with a Pacsafe Carrysafe 200 strap. This strap has two locking clips on the ends and has wire running through it to prevent slashing. It's also a couple of inches longer than the original strap, making it a bit more comfortable for cross-body carry.

8. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I love my G10, it's such an unassuming watch, nobody notices it when travelling, thereby making it less of a target for thieves.

The fact that it has also been worn in combat by our forces doing a good thing, makes me proud to wear it.

BTW, that's the correct strap, I think I'll have to get one, as I also like yours.

9. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi SAKplumber, I've enjoyed looking at your kit and am quite envious of some if it, especially the Skinths (my budget is a bit too tight at present to get any myself so I have to make do).

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. Templar

Templar Loaded Pockets

When I managed too blag mine from the stores it was on a plain grey NATO and that looked quite good too. But the nice thing is that they are easy to change.

Lots of watches have been worn in combat but the G10 is a true classic, there is nothing else quite like it. (Prince Harry wore one to the Royal Wedding too).

ghostyjack and SAKplumber like this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

As you continue posting, in other areas of the Forums, you will reach "Loaded Pockets" status (15 "messages") and be noticing you will have reached the ability to view the Buy Sell Trade Forums (BST) and if you're lucky, you may find the occasional Skinth for sale (FS). When you get there, please read the BST Rules and good luck! :D

12. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Now for the bags contents.

[​IMG]

Items.
    • Pentel Micro Correct pen - Even though I work in IT, I still end up writing on alot of paper and frequently need to make corrections. This correction pen has an excellent fine tip for easy correction. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • Helix 30cm Folding Ruler - You can never do without a straight line and being as this folds in half, I get quite a bit of straight line. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • Parker IM Rollerball pen - Very nice pen, and quite robust. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • LAIX B1-H Tactical Pen - It's identical to the Uzi Tactical Defender pen. Very solid. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • Asus Transformer Infinity tablet - makes a useful laptop replacement and have a few handy apps on it for work. This sits in the laptop sleeve in the main compartment.
    • Micro-fibre cloth - Excellent for wiping screens. This sits in the Sub Pod.
    • Shure earphone case containing a cheap set of earphones - Great hard case, used to have a set of Shure E4C's but they broke and couldn't afford to replace them, so now I've got a cheap £20 pair that are not that great. Will need to get a better pair. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • Carmex Lip Balm - Great for chapped lips. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • Asthma Ventolin inhaler - Stuck inside an old dusty server can really get on my chest, so always carry this. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • Paracetamol - Always carry some if this plastic container, stops them getting crushed and working in dusty environments can bring on headaches for me. This sits in the Monkey pouch.
    • UltraFire CREE XM-L T6 - Got this from Amazon for £6, apparently it's 1600 Lumens, but it doesn't seem that bright to me. It's got a useful zoom function that allows me to dial in the focus from a wide beam to a relatively narrow one. It's ok, but I find it a bit to short to comfortably use the tail switch.This sits in the side pocket.
    • Fenix PD 35 - Bought this to replace the cheap UltraFire. Good God is this thing bright! Fits my hand perfectly to use the tail switch with my thumb and my little finger sits nicely on the mode switch if I need to dial up the brightness from low to "My God! Here comes the Sun!" This sits in the main compartment in one on its tube pockets.
    • CRKT Liong Mah No.5 - Lovely little knife, and meets the UK knife laws for street carry. This sits in the side pocket.
    • Oakley Juliet Sunglasses with Ruby Iridium lenses - These are so cool, they can make anyone look good, I need all the help I can get. With the ruby lenses, I can also pretend I'm Cyclops from the X-Men. This sits in the Sub Pod.
    The other item not shown is a Nexus 7 (2013 model) tablet, this resides in the tablet pocket, this is mainly for my travel entertainment needs.

Last edited by ghostyjack, Mar 15, 2014
    garethmk1, SurvivePenna and Water-Rat like this.
  13. Templar

Templar Loaded Pockets

Brilliant that you own the Liong Mah, is there any chance you could give us a few impressions of it? I am seriously thinking about buying one.

14. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

No prob.

First impression when I got it out of the box was that it looked like a high quality knife. All the metal-work (apart from the clip) has a smooth satin finish, the clip is polished to a mirror finish. The micarta scales are smooth with a nice partnered look. It just seems to ooze quality.

When you open the blade it locks into place smoothly with a nice solid-sound clunk, the blade has no sideways movement (which is good) and is perfectly centred when closed. The blade comes razor-sharp, and holds an edge very well, I've rarely needed to give it more that a couple of strokes on my sharpener. It may be a non-locking blade, but it stays open very well.

Ergonomically it feels comfortable to hold (I don't have the largest hands in the world though), and although the scales are smooth, it doesn't feel like it will slip out of my hand. I don't feel any fear of the blade folding back on my fingers, even if it did, the blade will be blocked from closing as the blunt lump at the bottom of the blade rests on your index finger stopping it closing.

With a bit of practice it is also quite easy to open and close the blade one-handed.

If you like to carry your knife in your pocket by clipping it on the inside, nothing sticks out as the clip goes all the way to the end of the handle revealing nothing, and the little cord lanyard gives a nice means of pulling it out. You can easily make a better one, but the one it comes with is perfectly good for the job.

Overall, it is an excellent EDC knife for those countries that have knife laws restricting the size and type of blade you can carry. It perfectly meets the UK laws on this.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry it and am really glad I bought it. If someone asked me for a recommendation on a small EDC knife, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one.

Remember, these are just my opinions on it, you may find it differs for you, but it is certainly worth a good look at.

I got mine from Heinnie Haynes for under £37. Combine this knife with their ridiculously good customer service and very rapid delivery, you can't go wrong.

Templar likes this.
  15. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Missed a few items from the bag. This all sits in the front pocket meant for CCW, seeing as I'm in the UK, I don't have a firearm to carry concealed, so putting it to other uses.

[​IMG]

Items
    • 5.11 Station Grip gloves - These are great gloves for handling heavy items around, they have a comfortable fit that doesn't get let your hands get too hot or too cold and are very hard-wearing. Very useful for lugging servers and other IT gear and a lot of manufacturers don't always get rid of the sharp edges, these gloves have saves my hands from many cuts.
    • Fish-shaped karabiner - Not sure why I've got it in there, but it does make a useful carry point. Shame it's lilac though.
    • Orange-branded belt clip - Use this to carry my locker key and our company's cashless payment key. I replaced the cheap Karabiner with a Nite Ize S Biner Ahhh, this makes a surprisingly good clip for attaching to belt loops. I'm working on making a replacement for this that is not quite so garish, that I can use for both work and for carrying a keychain EDC.
    • Carlsberg-branded ID lanyard - Bought this when I went to Anfield to watch a Liverpool game, Carlsberg sponsored them then, got a free pin badge with it. It's much better quality than the work-issued one with a heavy-duty metal clasp for my main pass and a small loop, good for mobiles or other neck-carry items. It also has a nice bottle opener as well.

16. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

As well as the Kato, I also carry a small EDC drop-in kit for it. This though definitely geared towards my old IT hardware job, so will need to get some revision.

[​IMG]

The pouch is a Tactical Taylor Admin Pouch Enhanced. It's a good sized pouch with a clam-shell opening, it's not for everyone, but it works reasonably well for me.

[​IMG]

I like the paracord drawstring that lets you control how wide it opens. I've taken out the Velcro mounted map case, I sometimes use it if I need to carry a schematic with me that I don't want to get damaged or wet.

SurvivePenna likes this.
  17. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'll now lay out the contents of the pouch.

Top section:
    [​IMG]

Items
    • True Utility Slim Clips - Small nail clippers that work very well for snipping wires.
    • WH Smith small note pad in a cover - It's a cheap pad, it's not a Rite In The Rain, but as long as it doesn't get wet, it fine. The cover does a good job of protecting the pad, and I can easily get replacement pads for it as it isn't permanently attached to the pad, the back piece of card on the pad slips into a slot in the cover to hold it inside.
    • Small aluminium stash - Quite often end up putting in the screws I take out so I don't lose them. Could be used for storing a AAA battery (don't think anything larger will fit), pills, etc.
    • Cheap metal pen - Got this at a Samsung stand at a mobile phone fair, can't remember when. It's pretty solid and takes Parker refills.
    • Faber Castell 0.7mm Pencil - Good quality propelling pencil.
    • Stanley 4-in-1 Pocket Driver - Seeing how often I've seen others with this thing, I don't think I need to explain why I've got it.
    • Silva Carabiner 10 compass - Nice small compass with a useful little thermometer on it. Use this when needing to quickly check equipment is aligned correctly like antenna's.
    • Lastly 3 Bamboo Skewers - These may seem an odd thing to carry, but they make great picks and mini pry's when you are dealing with electronics.
    Bottom section:
    [​IMG]
    Items
    • Rolson 9-in-1 Precision Screwdriver - Seen this item here under different brand names, useful screwdriver with the 9 bits stored in the handle.
    • Draper Expert 78925 14-in-1 Reversible Precision Screwdriver Set - Got more bits than the Rolson, could almost replace the Rolson with this one except that the Rolson has 2 bits the Draper doesn't. Shame really as I much prefer the Draper.
    • Three head gas lighter - I don't smoke, but it is very useful for heatshrink.
    • Leatherman Freestyle - It's only got the blade and the pliers, but for this kit having a larger multi-tool with loads of tools I don't need would be a waste. This wont be of any use for software testing, and with the UK's knife laws, I no longer have a legitimate reason to carry this, so may well replace it with a non-locking alternative once I find one.
    • Mini Maglite Solitaire - It's my old reliable, never had any problems with it and its low brightness is not an issue when you are inside a server case. Going to upgrade the bulb to an LED though.
    • 5.11 ATAC PLUV - I bought this on a whim as had no reason to buy it. Turns out that it can be a bit more useful that a normal torch for reading white labels as the UV makes them glow so I can find them if they are stuck in an out of reach place.
    • Boker Plus Vox Access Tool - Small titanium pry bar.
    • Boker SO4PRO-K Pocket Stick - This is the steel version, not the titanium one. Very handy self-defence item. Not sure why I keep it in here, as it can't protect me if I need to take too long to get to it, going to have to relocate it. Due to the weight of it, it makes a useful hammer.
    Ok, that's the lot for my urban work EDC kit.
    Things are going to be changes to fall in line with my new software job and for a non-work kit.

SurvivePenna likes this.
  18. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

19. ghostyjack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

That's what you get for being a newbie, posting in the wrong forum. :D

As soon as I get home from work, I'll open a thread there.

SurvivePenna likes this.
  20. garethmk1

garethmk1 Loaded Pockets