1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New user key chain EDC :)

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by whatsthatbehindyou, Dec 10, 2009.

1. whatsthatbehindyou

whatsthatbehindyou Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

Yep, it is heavy but not uncomfortable to carry. I have a quick release on the car key so I don't do damage from the weight.

2. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

Why did you blur out the keys? Just in case some diabolical super villain is browsing the forums, sees your key patterns, reverse engineers a copy and travels to break into your home? :shrug:

3. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Nice EDC choices, and kudos for the quick release for the car key; it'll save your ignition cylinder. :)

I do it, too; what's a minute's "work" in exchange for some person having any additional difficulty (compared to aid) into gaining access to your domicile through an inability to copy keys?

4. whatsthatbehindyou

whatsthatbehindyou Empty Pockets

Yeah, I figure it only takes a second, why not? Better safe than sorry.

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

... or sees an employer's key. Most people carry keys that belong to other people in addition to their own. An employer may not appreciate the key pattern to the office key being posted on the internet.

Additionally, stranger things have happened than the scenario that you posted above.

6. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

The real danger isn't someone seeing your key pattern and deciding to track down your house, it's someone who's already targeted you for something malicious and decides to do their homework by following your online activities.

An example could easily be an angered ex-employee who knows you use your handle online, googles you, spots your keys and decides to take the opportunity.

It sounds ridiculous and paranoid, but a talented locksmith can copy a key by eye - and software already exists that can duplicate key patterns from high resolution photos. As people have said, only take a second to remove the pattern - so why not?

For anyone who's more interested in this, please google the paper "Reconsidering Physical Key Secrecy: Teleduplication via Optical Decoding", or for the software "SneaKey".

7. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

That is a really good point. I was always amused when people blurred their keys but now you have me thinking.

8. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

You could take a piece of information like, say the first four digits of your credit card number, and you could say "this information doesn't really put me at risk, you can't do anything with it - you'd need the whole number", but you still wouldn't put those numbers somewhere that the public could see them - so why would you post your key pattern?

9. Macallan

Macallan Empty Pockets

:iagree: I once lost my car key :( Since I didn´t want to take the bus home to get my spare keys, I asked my wife to make oulines of the key with a pencil on a piece of paper and fax it to me. The locksmith next door to my workplace made me a new key in 5 minutes :)
    (It was a few years back so the key didn´t have any fancy elektronics in it).

10. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Is it just me or is there no pic!? :shrug:

11. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Quote the original posting; it's there, but one tag was changed, preventing it from showing. *nods* :)

[Edit: Here is the picture. :)]

12. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Thank you!! :)

@whatsthatbehindyou: Nice EDC key chain!! :cool: