1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Trauma Kit for my Vehicle "PIC HEAVY"

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Birkkjaer, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Birkkjaer

Birkkjaer Empty Pockets

A good solid Trauma Kit for my car is something I have wanted to put together for quite some time. The bag is intended to be stored in the car and forgot about until the day I might need it (it will, however, be checked approximately every 3-4 month, to see if everything is holding up).

Every item in this kit is something I know how to use myself since I don’t believe in the “I might run into a doctor without his equipment” mentality.

Training and experience on the equipment is something I have obtained through my job as a volunteer firefighter and some experience working as “First Responder” at festivals and other large scale events. Additional to this I also have taken several extra courses in first aid throughout the years.

The content of the kit is primarily focused about being able to give CPR, assist breathing and stop massive bleeding on casualties as well as being able to keep them warm to avoid shock. In addition to this, the kit also holds a few small bandages and some other ‘minor-injuries’ stuff, but the treatment of boo-boos isn’t the main focus area in this kit.

Additional to this kit, my car also contains other safety equipment such as, 3-5 Safety vests, Warning triangle, Rescue tool (ResQme) and a Fire extinguisher.

The Kit
    The bag itself is a Dynamed Compact Medic Bag in Navy Blue. I find this bag to have just the right size for the equipment I want to be able to carry around.

[​IMG]

The bag opens up flat, which makes it easy to see most of the equipment. It is divided into three sections, one section with six elastic pockets, the middle section with elastic loops and an admin section which also holds a large “hidden” pocket.

[​IMG]

A closer look at the section with the elastic pockets

[​IMG]

The equipment stored in this section

[​IMG]

From left to right,
    3 Rescue Blankets (Space Blankets)
    15 pair Nitrile Gloves
    2 H&H Compressed Gauze
    1 Pocket Mask (Laerdal)
    10 4x4 (10x10cm) ‘Nonstick’ Gauze Pads
    2 Trauma dressings

A closer look at the middle section

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From left to right,
    1 Elastic Wrap
    2 Elastic Bandages (Ace bandages)
    1 C-A-T Tourniquet
    1 Small roll of duct tape
    1 pair Nitrile Gloves

A closer look at the admin section

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From left to right,
    1 Petzl Headlamp with extra batteries
    1 Medical Tape
    10 small Bandages and Cleaning wipes
    1 Pen
    1 Penlight
    1 Marker (for TQ or Triage)
    1 Triangular bandage
    1 pair Trauma Shear
    2 Sterile Eye Wash
    1 Instant Glucose
    1 Hand Sanitizer

The equipment stored in the large "hidden" pocket

[​IMG]

From left to right,
    1 Multitrauma dressing
    1 Notepad
    1 pair Safety Glases (not pictured) - thanks to Weko

I am might going to add one of the Water-Jel Burn dressings.

So this is the kit, please share if you have anything I should consider adding.

Last edited by Birkkjaer, Nov 30, 2016
  2. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Nice kit but I would suggest some including some sort of protection for yourself. At a minimum, face masks and some sort of eye protection from spurting blood. Light work gloves to protect your hands. Razor blade type hook knife for cutting seat belts and clothing. Finally, small trash bags with ties for bio-hazard material disposal, preferably labeled as bio-hazard

Redneck Bear and Birkkjaer like this.
  3. Birkkjaer

Birkkjaer Empty Pockets

Thanks, safety glases is actually on the content list for the kit, I just haven't added them yet ;)

Light work gloves is already in the trunk and the ResQme (Rescue tool) have a seatbelt cutter, which could be used for cutting clothing if the trauma shears aren't enough.

I could include some trash bags, but if I really will have to use this kit someday, the ambulance will be one it's way and they will have stuff for cleaning up.

Redneck Bear likes this.