1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Springfield XDs: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by grayman, Jul 22, 2012.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So I was checking on my S&W M&P Shield yesterday at the gun shop and I was presented with the new Springfield Armory XDs .45 ACP pistol. Here is a quick run down:

.45 ACP
    5+1 Capacity
    21.5 oz.
    1" width
    6.3" Long Overall
    4.4" Tall (with magazine)
    Melonite finish
    Box included a plastic paddle holster, dual magazine carrier (only two magazines), lock, papers

So other than the width and the fact you can't manipulate the take down lever with a magazine inserted, the pistol is your basic XD. I will note that it has a red fiber optic front sight and tradition white two dot rear sight.

In the store the gun felt good in the hand, though I can only get two fingers on the front strap and the third cradles the magazine. Your eyes are drawn to the red front sight. And it points as it should for me.

Today I took it to the range with a load of my least favorite .45 ACP ammunition, 230gr. FMJ CCI Blazer Brass. It is mediocre in the accuracy department and it's lack of a roll or taper crimp can wreak havoc on a semi-automatic pistols. I ran my target out to ten yards. I was at the indoor range due to the heat. While by most standards, it is a fairly well lit facility, the front sight failed to gather much light to make it an asset. I ran two hundred rounds through the gun without incident. Accuracy was more than acceptable for self-defense considering the ammunition. After the first eighty rounds the web of my right-hand began to ache due to the recoil of the weapon and the rubbing of the tang on my knuckle. Quick aimed follow-up shots were easy. After the two hundred rounds of ball ammo, I put a box of Winchester PDX 230gr. JHP through the pistol. Accuracy improved considerably thanks to the new rounds, but I did experience a failure to fire. After a few seconds I ejected the round and examined the primer and sure enough the firing pin had struck the round. I did not consider it to be a light strike. After finishing the remaining PDX ammunition, I loaded that failed round into the pistol and was able to file it. Unfortunately, I was not able to retrieve that piece of brass to examine it.

Overall, it's a nice little gun but I think any extensive practice would be limited by the discomfort associated with shooting it. It was a handful with the full power defensive loads. Also, I would change out the sights for some Trijicon HD Night Sights. This gun really has me looking forward to shooting the S&W Shield.

[​IMG]

batteryguru likes this.
  2. Bama Joe

Bama Joe Empty Pockets

Thanks for the informative review. I own 2 XD 45's. A service and a tactical model and 1 XD 9 sub-compact. I also own a G-17 and G-26. I hope I never have to choose between one or the other (Glock or XD) as I am completely pleased with both!

My CCW though is the G-26.

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

My primary pistol is the XD45c and I plan on taking a hard look at the XDS if and when People's Republic of Illinois passes a CCW law. IMO, really no other viable options in that caliber for CCW other than a 1911.

One of the first things I did with the Compact model was to add Trijicon HD Night Sights and Pearce grip extensions to all my compact magazines. Made a huge difference in how the gun shot. A trigger job would improve the accuracy even more but I haven't done that yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I think the Glock 36 is a comparable weapon. I've also owned several "Officer" sized 1911's, but never one with a lightweight frame. I think one of those would also be comparable. This shot I picked the XDs up at is getting some Christensen Arms 1911's in with the titanium frame. I'm anxious to get my hands on one of those.

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You're right Grayman - I forgot about the Glock 36. I thought about officer sized 1911's and that's why I mentioned the 1911. I'm not sure I'd want to foot on that titanium frame Christensen. The ammo is expensive enough. ;)

6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Hey, it's only money, they'll print some more :D

brix likes this.