1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Seiko

Discussion in 'Watches' started by boyo17, Dec 18, 2012.

1. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Apart from brief moments it's been on my wrist day and night since it arrived :)

It's a big bugger,, or Big freaking Kinetic as some call it but feels at home already. My wrist is 7.5" and I'm a 6' 3" Big Freaker myself so it doesn't look out of place on me

I'm going to have a play in the workshop and make a charger for it ,,,,,,,, I don't think the battery will have a problem staying on the top line but I'll enjoy the play time

Here's a Schnapp taken this morning,,,,,,,, (Schnapp!! gedit?,,,,,,,,,,, oh never mind ;)

[​IMG]

nuphoria and thatotherguy like this.
  2. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

I've had my eye on those for a while. Read some reviews on www.watchuseek.com and it gets mixed reviews, but only due to personal preference from what I could tell. Some people just don't like the idea of a kinetic. They say it has the WORST qualities of each, rather than the best. I don't get how, though. I really like the concept and I really like that watch. It's been on my radar for a while now. Can't justify another hefty watch purchase though, especially when it's so closely related (visually) to my Black Monster.

3. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Some people don't like kinetics because they have to be worn frequently to keep the battery charged ,,,,,that might not suit somebody that likes to rotate several watches in their collection and can't give the kinetic sufficient wrist time

Some people don't like automatics because they don't keep accurate time,,,, + or - 15 secs a day is thought as acceptable

Some people don't like quartz because they lack character and don't have the foibles that kinetics and autos have

Some people don't like cuckoo watches because the pendulums get tangled in their hair and the cuckoos can pop out at embarrassing moments :oops:

I guess you just have to weigh things up for yourself and make a personal decision

When I got the watch it showed 1 month battery reserve and after a few days of wearing ,,,it's up to 6 months reserve which is the maximum

From what I've found out, the early versions suffered from a minute hand that could have 1 minute inaccuracy due to the design of the movement,,,,, this was solved by perforating the hands to make them lighter. Bear this in mind if like a lot of people you would like to pimp the watch by swapping the hands for a different type. Because of the perforations the hands don't have as much of a lume area as other types of Seiko,,,,,, but the luminosity is very good and can be seen sometimes in daylight

The diver's extension part of the strap sticks out slightly and causes irritation to some people but it sits well on my wrist so is not a problem,,, but I'm planning to get a shark mesh strap soon,,,,, probably,,,,, maybe ,,,or not ,,, sigh!!

kertap75 likes this.
  4. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Take heed. I was a big fan of cuckoo watches, and now I'm almost bald.

5. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

:)
    Outstanding. Q: Could we see a wrist shot when you get a chance? Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight.:)

6. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Happy Christmas Folks

Not the best time for a wrist shot as my hand is a bit puffy with new kitten scratches :([​IMG] I've just put a mesh band on it this morning and it's a little bit tight but I'll let the scratches quieten down and see how it feels then. The larger gauge shark-mesh strap with just 9/10 links across the 20mm width might be a choice for the future as I think they look wicked,,,,,,, time will tell! The standard Seiko strap is good looking but my wrist was getting a tad sticky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by boyo17, Dec 25, 2012
    nuphoria likes this.
  7. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

^ Very Nice....looks a lot like the Orient Black Ray that I just got. :)

8. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pic please ;)

There are so many nice watches out there to choose from it's difficult to make a decision. I went with this one because it most reminded me of a diver's watch I bought with one of my first pay-checks in 1965. If I ever win the lottery then I'll have to get a display cabinet to store all my new purchases in :)

9. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

That is a sharp looking watch! I am starting to feel the need, the need for a SKA371P1. It would be my first Kinetic. Q: Alas, my wrist is 6.5"...I can wear an OM...would I be able to handle a SKA371P1?

10. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

If by OM you mean the Orange Monster then they are near as dammit the same size

11. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I have the SKA369 version of your watch. It has a blue dial and the red and blue Pepsi bezel. I have had it for about 3-4 years now and I absolutely love it. Very accurate. I bought of because I am in the the "It's the best of both worlds." group. I love the accuracy of a quartz and the automatic charging of a mechanical watch. I like not having to worry that the spring has wound down like a mechanical watch or having to reset the time due to the nature of a mechanical watch. For me, it is the best watch I have ever owned.

12. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Yes, OM = Orange Monster. Thanks for the update. The SKA371 has now made it's way to my wishlist.

13. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Here it is...[​IMG]

14. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I am bitterly dissapointed!!!

I've only set the time once and not taken the watch anywhere where it could get damaged but the crown has decided not to screw in properly. I can screw it in but it pops out again almost immediately,,,, feels like the thread is stripped.

So It's on it's way back to Amazon and I get to choose another watch as they will refund me

15. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Buy a Certina DS Podium Ti, i've had mine for 8 years now and never a problem.

16. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

That stinks! I completely understand your frustration. I had the same thing happen with a Tag Heuer watch that I purchased a few years ago. I had to finally send back and get refunded. I replaced that watch with a Seiko SKX009 that has served me very well. I was thinking about getting the SKX007 for something different but ended up choosing the Orient Black Ray as it was half the money and is working very well.

17. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

This is one of my standing concerns with my Seiko. The crown has always felt like it's going to cross thread and when tightening, there's the sensation that the metal is galling. I've considered adding some anti-seize paste, but haven't for fear of other unintended consequences. :/

18. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I was getting very interested in the SKA371. Are you planning to get a replacement SKA371 or something different?

Last edited by EXCALIBUR, Dec 27, 2012
  19. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Needless to say I have been searching the net for a replacement. One of the reasons that I wanted a screwed crown but also a crown that is shrouded by lugs on the frame was for protection of what I think is a fragile projection,,,,,,, :nah_disagree:

I liked the 371 (still do) and was attracted be the accuracy,,,,,but my confidence has gone so am looking elsewhere. I've now decided that I will accept the accuracy foibles of an auto and want an offset crown or one that is on the left of the watch,,, I found the weight of the 371 was causing the crown to stick into my wrist and I was frequently easing it back up my wrist. The bright colours of the 009 are not for me but I like the 007 and also the Black Ray except it has the crown at 3 OC .

I took a look at the Certina DS Podium Ti (thanks Mange :) ,,,,, what a name!! ) but I would never use the extra two buttons and it all is too complicated for me,,,,,,,,,

I want a 40mm black faced diver with three hands that go round and round that can be easily read day or night at a quick glance and I'm limiting myself to £200 ($320) including postage. I could afford more but can't justify a larger expense.

My life appears to move along Stoical principles,,,,,,I don't want any material thing in my life that I can't lose without worry or grief. Back in 1985 I bought an Audi Coupe 2.2 injection in deep metallic red, it was a lovely thing and was adored and cosseted. But one day I parked it in the wrong place and the paint on every panel got keyed and the wings and doors kicked in,,,,, it broke my heart. That made me think deeply about materialism! I got an old 4 x 4 after that

So £200 max :)

,,,back to the net,,,,,,,,

20. tomsk
    • In Omnia Paratus

tomsk Loaded Pockets

ive had a 007 for about 6 months now and i cant say a bad word about it accuracy is good too. The best watch ive owned