1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Pathfinder

Discussion in 'Watches' started by John_Boy, Apr 12, 2013.

1. John_Boy

John_Boy Loaded Pockets

I just got my new PAG240 yesterday and I think I'm going to enjoy it, however the rubber strap isn't very comfortable so I ordered some lugs to accept a zulu band. The display isn't the easiest to read indoors but the automatic illumination helps. Still learning my way around the ABC functions and plan on testing the altimeter on a hike this weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited by John_Boy, Apr 12, 2013
  2. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

how you liking it so far?

3. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

Love the look, and you will find the interface very easy to use; it is the same for most other Gs and pathfinders as well.

*Hawk* likes this.
  4. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

did you replace the strap yet?

5. John_Boy

John_Boy Loaded Pockets

I went hiking last weekend and got a chance to test the altimeter accuracy. I zeroed the altitude difference at the trail head and knew the hike's elevation change. Accuracy was pretty impressive, everyone in the group was glad to be able to know how much of the ascent was completed/left. I've received a new zulu band and should get the lugs tomorrow. Will post pics once installed.

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  6. Gray81

Gray81 Empty Pockets

If it works I would appreciate a PM with info on where I can order the lugs? I haven't been able to find any, I have the same model of watch... I like it except for the strap. Thanks!

7. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

I think Pathfinders alti accuracy has gotten better in recent years compared to where they were, but there are many that feel they are lacking compared to Suunto. Personally, they work just fine for me, as I don't require 1M resolution on altitude, and I would rather have a rugged watch that will run for years than an instrument that requires new batteries every 12 months.

Avenal likes this.
  8. zombieslayer001

Used to be able to get the lugs from County Comm

9. zombieslayer001

Has suunto gotten any better with their QC issues?

10. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I have a couple G's, a random casio alt/bar....and about 15 other timepieces for everyday/dress/casual use...and I must say this is the biggest workhorse of my collection.

Suunto's aren't bad..for the price they're very competitive with the pathfinder series...especially since the quality is in fact a lot better now. I think it all comes down to preference and what exactly you need the watch for. Being and avid hiker/long range shooter it is great to have on the wrist. It turns heads, and works flawlessly.

have fun with yours!

11. zombieslayer001

12. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

I can't vouch for the QC issues on Suuntos, but I do know that Pathfinders and Gs have been the workhorse on my wrist for YEARS through field execises, Deployments, everyday work, international travel, you name it. I still have yet to replace the battery on my oldest one from 2006, still works great to this day.

13. zombieslayer001

I would feel more comfortable with the pathfinder I think after all the bad reviews I have read about Suunto's customer service department.

14. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

Not that I want to Hijack the thread, but here is my beauty that is going on 7 years old!
    [​IMG]
    Paw1200-3v by Wojo19, on Flickr

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here's mine after 4-6 years:D

[​IMG]

It looks like the bezel turns on yours. Is that so? North isn't straight up on it in this pic.

16. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

LOVE mine, a year old already.

17. John_Boy

John_Boy Loaded Pockets

Finally got the lugs today and spent ten minutes changing the strap. This watch is much more comfortable now. The resin band is bulky and this slims everything down nicely. Also just a thought, but I'm hoping that since the band now separates my wrist from the case, the temp readings may be more accurate from now on. Only time will tell. As you can see in the pictures instead of looping the excess back through the loops I've tucked it under the lug to smooth things out. And to SAKplumber, yes the bezel rotates.
    Sorry the pictures aren't great, I had a hard time getting my phone to focus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jaxs

jaxs Loaded Pockets

John_Boy can I ask how you zeroed the altimeter? I've got the same watch, but I think I stuffed up the alti when I first got it.

19. John_Boy

John_Boy Loaded Pockets

I would recommend finding out the elevation of your house. You can google "google maps altitude" to find some easy ways to check. Then while in altimeter mode, hold the adjust button until the altitude starts flashing. Then use the compass and altitude buttons to adjust it to the correct value and press adjust to save it. Earlier I was actually referring to the differential altitude that's displayed top right in alt mode. That is zeroed with a single press of the adjust button.

Here Comes The BOOM and jaxs like this.
  20. zombieslayer001

Want one!