1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Stinson12, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

Me and a friend are consider a move to New Orleans. We are both EMT's and are hoping to get on with New Orleans EMS. I am wondering if anyone here has lived or does live there and can give me some information on different neighborhoods and places to live? A few of the neighborhoods we are considering are CBD, Mid City, Audubon Park, Obviously the French Quarter but open to other suggestion.

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I don't know. The WWII museum is awesome. Frankly, I stayed creeped out on Frenchman Street. Bourbon Street was too boisterous, but Frenchman gave me worries. EDC a handgun. I saw a guy getting dragged out of his car window on Frenchman. As to where to live...not NO.

I realize this didn't answer your question.

3. T-3

T-3 Loaded Pockets

Lived there almost 10 years. I'm not doubting anything AF30 saw, but I can tell you I've never had any problems. That said, it's a big city and you need to keep situational awareness, obviously.

I've lived all over (Quarter...Bourbon St, believe it or not..., Uptown, Lower Garden, Irish Chanel and Warehouse district). I'd recommend any of those, with the caveat that nowadays the Quarter is jam packed and difficult to get in and out of, as a daily routine. I think any of those neighborhoods you mentioned, depending on what you're looking for, are totally viable.

So are Bayou St.John, the Treme, the Marigny, the Bywater, and even Holy Cross in the Lower Ninth, in order of "up and coming." I love the Warehouse district, FWIW. It's getting better and better, as is most of the city.

It's important to note that NOLA is a city of neighborhoods, but even with that understanding you really need to lay eyes on a particular property before committing. In the Irish Chanel, for example, it can go from upscale to shady in less than a block. Seriously. And that applies almost everywhere in the city. So if possible, check out individual places out before committing to a lease, or whatever. Worst case, it's another excuse to visit before officially moving!

Good luck, and feel free to hit me up with any specific inquiries!

4. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

Thank for the info! We will headed down there in early March to look at places to live. Ill keep you in mind as Im sure I will have a few more questions.

theirishboxer likes this.
  5. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

There are parts of Nawlins you'll be fine in all day long, but there are also some parts you should never go.
    Honestly, most of it is hype, and its a headache to drive through.
    Living outside of the city in a smaller city or community might not be as bad.
    I haven't lived there, but I have been to it plenty of times.

6. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

i think you may have just described most of the major cities in the us

Cheeser and FenixArcher like this.
  7. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Lol, to be quite honest, I haven't had much time in big cities.
    I've been to NYC on a vacation trip, Atlanta for Blade Show and another convention, New Orleans for multiple things, and twice to my state capital of Jackson. So I'm not too well versed in big city living. :D

But I gather it's all the same.

Stinson12 and theirishboxer like this.
  8. Treadwisely

Treadwisely Loaded Pockets

Lived there 13 years. Definitely good pockets (Algiers Point, Uptown, warehouse and garden districts, some parts of The Marigny and Bywater) No, the amount of violence/violent crime is not hyped. It is there and you will see it first hand as an EMT as with most EMTs in major cities. Situational awareness, the routes you travel, and the company you keep are key in not becoming a victim. I Mostly only go to festivals now. Many long time residents have moved north of Lake Pontchartrain, and closer to Baton Rouge & Lafayette areas. If you go that route, Acadian Ambulance is a fine company.

Stinson12 likes this.