1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New notebooks - Shinola and Baron Fig

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Dave Johnson, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Loaded Pockets

No worries. I've been testing various combinations of inks and fountain pen nibs on a Leuchtturm notebook. It stands up pretty well to most inks. If you aren't using a fountain pen, the ecosystem notebooks are a good alternative, if you can deal with the perforated pages (they don't worry me) and very white paper, but its performance with most fountain pen inks is substandard. Same goes for the Piccadilly notebooks - fine with a ballpoint, but pretty ordinary with most fountain pens. I think that the two notebooks reviewed in this thread represent credible competition for Leuchtturm, which has superior paper compared to Moleskine. I'll try anything that isn't made in China! (Note that the Baron Fig notebooks are made in China, so I was disappointed to hear about the QC problems with Shinola.)

2. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

Given that they are not exactly time-sensitive purchases I'm willing to give the Shinola folks much more latitude than I would normally. YMMV, but they are doing the things they do well very well. On top of that I'm a sucker for US companies in general and those in depressed areas in specific.
    As long as they follow through on their replacements (and they are in good condition) I'll be buying more from them.

Dave Johnson, AK Adventurer and DavyJ like this.
  3. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well, the replacements arrived today. They are all in good condition w/no defects. In addition to the two replacements they also included one of the large size (9x7) grid notebooks! I'm loving this one! The only drawback is that I'm imagining that it's non-standard size and covers might be a challenge (but I'll research and get back to you).
    All in all I'm a Shinola fan now. The true test of a good company is how they handle challenges. These guys have stepped up to the plate and hit at least a triple. Now off to find a cover for the gridbook...

Package insert(black cardstock on top of packing paper):
    [​IMG]

3 notebooks:
    [​IMG]

More to come (have to clear cache to get images to rotate properly in Photobucket)...

4. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

3 Notebooks unpackaged:
    [​IMG]

7x9 Grid inside:
    [​IMG]

AK Adventurer likes this.
  5. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Loaded Pockets

Excellent! Thanks very much for keeping us up to date.

I hope you are going to tell us how these stand up to various fountain pen inks. I've tested the Baron Fig with a fairly wide variety of inks and nibs, and am happy to report that the paper is pretty much bomb-proof. Nothing bleeds through, and there's no sign of feathering unless you use a loupe (and even then it's very minor). My worst ink (Noodler's Liberty's Elysium) doesn't misbehave on this paper, although it does cause problems on practically everything else I've written on, including Leuchtturm.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  6. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

I will update after more pen/ink tests. Given the performance of the original small with the MB149/Diamine Green (which is usually my worst bleed-thru offender) I'm hopeful.

Dave Johnson and AK Adventurer like this.