1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New member from the Tar Heel State

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Grits, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits Empty Pockets

Hello folks, my name is Grits.  No it doesn't stand for "Girl Raised in the South."  It's what I do for a living.  I manage a fast food restaurant for a major chain in the Southeast, specifically North Carolina. I enjoy trout fishing and salt water surf fishing.  Hunting has had to take a back seat to what I enjoy because so much land is posted and it's not worth the hassels to try to get permission to hunt. And besides my hunting partner, my father, just can't get into the woods like he could because of health problems.

My leaning toward being prepared occured from an experience that happened to me over twenty years ago.  I was a stupid twenty-one year old that got caught in a severe artic blast of cold air that dropped the temps to about -5 and with the wind blowing at about 10 to 15 mph.  The antifreeze in the car froze and the car was running hot.  All I had on was a pair of tennis shoes, blue jeans, and a light winter coat.  I was out in that weather for over an hour.  My core body temp dropped.  When I got back the the apartment I lived in gas heat go set on 95 and I pull the covers off the bed and crawled up against that furnace.  I got cold to the bone that night.  Next day I made a trip to K-Mart (yea, they still had them back then) and bought a set of insulated coveralls and boots.

Next little learning experience was with same dang car.  Heater hose burst and if I had had a knife and a screwdriver (multi-tool now a days) I would have had little trouble it getting home that night.

Next learning experience was during the Blizzard of '93 when I was trying the keep the store open.  I remember asking my self what was I thinking by taking two employees home in a truck with no food or water.

Next thing you know and it's the Y2K deal.  About this time I began to understand what it meant to "be prepared."  

By now, each vehicle has a survival kit with food, water, ability to make fire, shelter, extra clothing, navagation resources.  I could go on and on about this.  Wife understands that if things go down hill that I will make it home even if its on my own two feet and that we will make do and get by.  

I'm not a survivalist freak by any means.  I'm just not going to sit around and wait on the federal government to come and take care of me if i happen to get caught up in some disaster.  I can take care of myself.  Thank you very much.

2. denise

denise Empty Pockets

Wow, great story grit. Welcome to edcforums. I think people can learn a lot from your past experiences. It definitely gives me something to think about. Thanks for joining!

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Great Post Grits.

I am glad your here with us.

:)

4. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Great stories, grits...makes me realize how much I still need to do to get my car EDC equipped. :-[