1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Maglite XL100... anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by greymethod, May 3, 2010.

1. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

2. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

There are just so many lights out there that are better, even still with the improvements. I have also played around with it and the UI is really wonky. Not consistent in its operation. Maybe it was just me.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I wrote a review on my blog recently: http://gearcarrot.com/blog

Overall impression: good but not great. There are better out there.

4. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Saw it today and just thought I'd ask. What would you recommend in that price range Carrot?

5. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

If you have only a few lights forget about the XL100 but in case you have many and you are looking for something different, why not?

[​IMG]

6. bernardo

bernardo Loaded Pockets

I have one XL100.

Is bulky, uses 3 AAA batteries, plastic lenss seems to weak to me and tail cap swicht with functions just works when flaslight is parallel to the ground. Really donĀ“t likes to me. For the money, size, battery qty and overall quality, I prefer Fenix LD01.

Greetings from Chile

7. txdude321

txdude321 Empty Pockets

I bought one of these today its a pretty cool little flashlight i think that the UI is very unique and different and it seems like it would be a good emergency light to keep around the house for power outages ect

8. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

I think it is quite a nice little light. It suffers one drawback...its a MAG, and there are flashlight "snobs" who will dismiss it just because it is a MAG.

Granted, the operation of various functions are not as practical as we might like, but they are not the typical "me too" clickie. They tried to be original...its not optimal, but is is great to see them at least exploring something different from the other guys.

It is said that using a battery carrier is a bad thing. MAG did seem to use a more durable one than most...and the delicacy of the carrier system is in many cases more imagined than real.

This new MAG has had its durability questioned. I dont think it has been around long enough to comment on long term durability...but as far behind the times as MAG has been over the years, one thing their lights have never been is delicate.

Most of us have a slew of multi-function lights in which most functions are not much more than novelty items...most of the time we just turn the light on to use as a....LIGHT.

If we need an ultra-low output from our light, we certainly dont need the dim mode immediately...we have a few seconds to activate that mode.

The XL100 is a great light for what most of us need which is a light that you push the button and it comes on...and is nice and bright. The other functions are neat to have, but other than lower outputs we probably dont have much need for the others besides fun.

So, look beyond the "its a MAG, it must be junk" and grab one...its fun and functional and most likely quite well made.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Loads of lights are available in that price range ($40 and below) that I would highly recommend, some being: Inova X2, ICON Rogue or Modus, and Quark MiNi.

10. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. It's not perfect, but it is a Mag.

For what it's worth I trust mine more than I do my Quark MiNi CR123. I've been having a lot of issues with mine recently.

That really is apples and oranges though. Here are some things I like about the XL100.

-Made in the USA at a reasonable price.
    -Its 1" housing means it will attach via most weapon mounts made for surefires and the like.
    -It's AAA. While that does mean a little less battery life and lumens versus 2 CR123's, it also means batteries are easier to get in a pinch.

As far as the AI goes it works just fine for me. 99% of the time I use the plain light. With this light you set the output and push the button. Thats it. Far more reliable than my Quark Mini (which is a great light, my favorite I've ever owned FWIW) that has been flaking out on me.

11. FerFAL

FerFAL Loaded Pockets

What problems have you been experiencing with your Quark?

FerFAL

12. Fixer

Fixer Loaded Pockets

If you select a mode then touch the top and bottom of the housing the light will cycle modes. It's like it's shorting on the housing or something. I have to selcet a mode then just hold the light without letting of or it will change it's mind.

13. pwatcher

pwatcher Empty Pockets

I got a new one and liked it well enough, until it slipped out of my grip 6-8" above a hardrock maple table, and now seems dead.

I'll need to dig out my receipt and try getting warranty service, but don't have very good feelings about the light's toughness.

14. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

I've had one for about two months now and I'm happy with it. I don't have any highend lights so I can't compare it to any of them, yet. I like that you can turn it on and off without going through any of the modes or power settings. I like that it can tailstand. The U.I. is fun, I will use the nitelite mode during poweroutages, the other modes I may never use. I like the fact that I could go to a local store and buy it, I like shopping the old fashoned way. I also like the fact that Maglite has finally started making some interesting L.E.D. lights. I'm sure that there are many better lights out there, but for what you'll need a light for in most cases you could do a lot worse than this. I wonder in the end how many they will sell. Most people would not spend $40-$45 on a flashlight, and the Surefire crowd wouldn't buy something so cheap.

15. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I just got my XL100. I know it's not the greatest flash light, but its a big upgrade for me and at $35 the price is right. I got a NovaTac clip from LightHound and it works fine on the tail or head end. =)

[​IMG]

16. dirtbuster

dirtbuster Empty Pockets

Got 1 on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods (Walden Galleria, Buffalo, NY). There were 2 left....one was open box and the other is sealed except for the missing batteries (3 AAA). I took the later and paid $29.99 plus tax.

Why I bought it....
    1. It was only sale
    2. Its made in good 'ol US of A
    3. Its a Mag
    4. Its bright!!!!!!
    5. Unique features

Cons
    1. Bigger than what I expected and a tad bulky for EDC
    2. Uses AAA (I like AA for flashlights)
    3. No lanyard attachments or clip
    4. Features take a bits getting used to
    5. Lens looks cheap

17. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

Sweet idea CDavisJK. Lighthound is out of stock right now, but I put myself on the waiting list. I can't believe Maglite didn't include a lanyard hole or a clip. I just used a lanyard I had from another cheapo flashlight. I unscrewed the tail cap, looped the thin part of the lanyard around the body, and put the cap back on.

I'm loving this flashlight! I especially like the 'lock-out' mode so my kids don't drain my batteries by turning it on and leaving it on. (They can't figure out how to unlock it)

[​IMG]

18. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

Update: I was at Dicks tonight and they have the light on sale for $29.99. Not sure how long the sale is but that is a great deal!

19. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Loaded Pockets

The XL50 is more my speed. I keep one in my glove box.

20. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I had a MiniMaglite for the better part of 20 years on me every day until I found this Forum, I have since switched lights now I carry a Fenix LD10 and would not go back to a Maglite. I also have 2 Quark minis and a couple of Maratacs and I am happy with those lights and have had no issues with any of them. Maglite waited too long to get into the game with LED lights and have since lost a customer by doing so. I always wished that they would come out with a small led light but never did when I wanted one and after switching I would not go back, I know it's been said before there are better lights out there for less money well I'll say again.