1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New LM Charge TTi is really tight!

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by zuixro, Nov 30, 2009.

1. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

I sent my LM Charge TTi in to have the blade replaced. They sent me back a brand new one. (in only 4 days. Way to go LM) Except that the entire side of the tool with the plain edge is extremely tight. It literally hurts my finger nails to try to flip them out, and the blade takes a lot of effort to get it to flip out and lock. I've lubed it extensively (no really, a lot), but nothing I've done has made it any better. The only other thing I can think of to try is loosening the screws on that side a little. (I don't have the tools, but I can get them). I could also send it in again, but I don't want to pay again, and I don't like being without it. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could try?

2. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, just loosen the screws a little.

-Vivek

3. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know the exact size of the screws? I know it's a Torx security screw, but what size is it?

4. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

Torx 10 Security bit. You may need 2 of them to adjust the tension depending on how tight it is already.

5. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

I think they are lock tited. You may want to put some back in.

6. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

This isn't going to void my warranty is it?

7. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I doubt it. Leatherman understands the need to dissassemble knives for cleaning.

8. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

I picked up a $10, 100 piece set of security bits from Harbor Freight, (among other things), and loosened it up. The blade flips open really well now. Thanks guys!

9. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I bought that same set for my Leatherman Ti Charge. I was hoping to swap the outside tools to make it lefty friendly. After I opened it up, I realized it didn't have both bits needed. My charge has 5 & 6 point security bits. The bit kit only has a 6 point one! Does yours only have 6 point ones or something?

10. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

Mine just has 6 point screws. I looked through all of them. I've heard of other people who's Leathermans have 5 pointed screws. That's a good idea, switching the handedness of it. I wonder what they'd do if you sent it in to have it fixed?

11. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I think that it would. After all, they did use SECURITY torx bits. They obviously don't want people taking their products apart.
    http://leatherman.com/customer-support/warranty.aspx
    Here, you can read it yourself.

12. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

I don't know if loosening a screw by 1/4 of a turn counts as alteration. I don't know how they'd know if you did adjust the tension anyway...

13. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, Leatherman has the best customer service of perhaps any company that I have ever dealt with. I'd be absolutely shocked if they considered this "alteration".