1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

New Large Holdall Needed

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Scrumbag, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Scrumbag

Scrumbag Loaded Pockets

Hi folks,

After 2 3 week safaris, a couple of ski and fishing trips and various other times baggage handlers have gotten hold of my duffel bag, it has developed a couple of small holes so is no longer going to keep kit dry / clean and runs the risk of tearing and depositing my clothing on the conveyor belt.

Last bag was an Eagle Creek No Matter What (L) the one which the soft base but wheels

So, what do you guys use? Suggestions welcomed!

KR,

Scrummy

2. Sabbel

Sabbel Empty Pockets

I am a pilot, so my luggage tends to collect miles like crazy.

I personally recommend Rimowa. They have no duffels though, only suitcases from either aluminum or polycarbonate.
    No matter which one you might be looking at, they don't come cheap, but are well worth the money.
    The last one I bought in 2010 for 700€, but it lasts and lasts and lasts. That is right now less then 2€/week of ownership and taking it with me on an almost daily basis.

3. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

If wheels are not a requirement check out the YETI or RTIC travel bags. Both are extremely puncture resistant and water resistant. We went on a rafting trip and used this style bag without our gear getting wet. I am considering the smaller duffel as my next bag.

4. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Bit late but nonetheless...

We now use climbing duffle bags. Either Mountain Equipment or North Face. Mainly Mountain Equipment as these tend to be on sale a lot and are good value too. Tough and strong, water resistant and don’t look too expensive to attract attention. Have several pockets inside for basic organisation but we tend also to use lightweight packing cubes too to make organisation quick and easy. Come with decent detachable shoulder straps and (on larger sizes) detachable backpack/rucksack style dual shoulder straps. Also come in 4 sizes and a range of colours that are easy to spot on conveyors. Our luggage trolleys can look v colourful. Finally, they are really easy to pack into hire cars / trucks / boats / small planes due to soft sides.

Over the years we have gradually transitioned to these and now only use these for travel On lightweight safaris with low (15kg) limits we use the 40l size as our check in bags. Otherwise normally use Medium for other trips. Large are overkill for us and Extra Large are really way to big unless expedition hauling.

Pretty much unbeatable in my view.

sungame likes this.
  5. Scrumbag

Scrumbag Loaded Pockets

Hello folks,

Just an update on this.

I would like to send a big thumbs up to Eagle Creek and their agents in the UK, Scottish Mountain Gear (www.scottishmountaingear.com). Got in touch with them, spoke to a nice lady called Lauren, confirmed bag was covered under warranty and sent the warn-out holdall to them.

About a week went past and heard nothing, then got a call from Lauren apologising for the delay. She explained that the delay was due to there not being any blue bags in stock (as mine was) and would not be for sometime – so, would I like to wait or I could have an orange, black or green one now. 2 days later a new green holdall showed up.

Very refreshing to see a company that stands by products and warranty and agents give good customer service.

Big thumbs up to Eagle Creek and Scottish Mountain Warehouse

Scrummy

Treya and sungame like this.
  6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The North Face bags are the bee's knees! I use a 75 l one for just about everything, from road trips and flying for work to week long sailing trips. I've had it for about five years now, and it is holding up nicely. It is near waterproof (except for the zippers), rugged and not too heavy. The carrying straps are contoured and lightly padded, making it much more comfortable to carry on my back than most other duffel bags I've tried.

It is somewhat expensive, of course, but you can often find it on sale, so it does not have to be all that bad.